• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GTRamo

GTRamo

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Hey Humber fishing was great I went last week and caught a nice white bass, I believe it was about 1lb or so little north of the mouth. Lots of small suckers out there. And some large carp jumping in and out the water.

I want to try the Claireville Reservoir next. I read that is contains quite a few different species.

My only questions is how do I access it. I am going with my bike.

I know you can get in from the INDIAN Line campground or Wild Water Kindgom but I think you have to pay.

Is there any access from which you don't have to pay?

Thanks.

#2 Drop_Shot

Drop_Shot

Sunfish

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

FOr Claireville you enter the conservation area, then it's quite a bit of a walk to the darn, but you can fish the resevoir no problem..

When water level is low, the fish are more concentrated and easier to catch... I've caught big sucker, small largies, rockbass, carp, and oddly enough Green sunfish below the darn..  In the res itself, I caught a lot of bullhead, carp, perch and largemouth... Hope that helps.

Where exactly did you catch this WHite bass?  Did you get more than one??? I have been looknig for them in the GTA for awhile now.

#3 GTRamo

GTRamo

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:35 AM

I caught it i think like a 5-10 minute walk north on the trail from the mouth of the river. I dont knwo the nearby street cuz its along the trail. I saw about 4-5 other people fishing so then I joined then. I casted a worm with two leads that's all on a 15.00 rod I bought from WAL-MART. I didnt know what i was gunna get. An asian lady fishing next to me said that carp and Koi were jumping. I could see something jumping but Im a newbie to fishing so I dont know the speicies. I felt a strong tug and it was a whtie bass I believe around a pound. I got only one but I suspect there was more. before I started some younger kid beside me said he caught a carp.

Thanks for the info on Clairville.

#4 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Last summer I tried Claireville for 10 minutes while I was passing through the area. I drove into WWK and at the gate I told them I was driving to the end of the dirt road and not going into the park or drive-in. He said cool.

So I drove to the end of the dirt road which you can look up on google maps satellite view. Ends right under Steeles then there's a gate. Mind you, lots of graffiti and broker beer bottles but I suspect that comes from night time partying.

As for nearer the darn, I suppose you have to pay to enter Indian Campground? I do sometimes see people fishing on the east side of that darn while I'm driving along the 427.

If I remember correctly, I drove down Albion once and saw that the entrance to Indian Line Road is blocked off.  I don't know if there was a sign that said private property. But if you're on bike, this will be more accessible to you.

Also, perhaps there is a way on bike to the darn from that little neighbourhood just below it?

#5 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hidden spot! I live right next to this! Will give some information on this over the weekend!

#6 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

wait, what bait do u use while in there? Worms? Corn?

Do you let it sit on the bottom?

#7 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Fished there years ago!

Very nice carp there, almost steady. Use corn.

#8 GTRamo

GTRamo

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

Yea Im probably going tomorrow. I'll try to grab some picks if I catch anything worthwhile.

Thanks for all the info guys, definitely worthwhile for me

#9 tomcycle

tomcycle

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:08 PM

Hey Humber fishing was great I went last week and caught a nice white bass, I believe it was about 1lb or so little north of the mouth. Lots of small suckers out there. And some large carp jumping in and out the water.

I want to try the Claireville Reservoir next. I read that is contains quite a few different species.

My only questions is how do I access it. I am going with my bike.

I know you can get in from the INDIAN Line campground or Wild Water Kindgom but I think you have to pay.

Is there any access from which you don't have to pay?

Thanks.

Something I can chime in on here.  - late reply to an old thread - oh well.  But in case anyone is interested;
I fished at Claireville  in the early 90's with my father religiously.  We caught carp mostly, some bass, suckerfish, etc.
This was just a few meters north of Steeles.

There is very easy access (with free parking) on Gorwood Dr (at the end) just north of Steeles.  It seems that's still the case!  (check google maps, Steeles Ave E, Gorewood Drive - just at the end of Gorewood .

I always wondered if this was still a good fishing stop.  The main difference is the 407 highway now passes over it.
We fished a lot under the Steeles Ave bridge..  surprised how many sunfish there was!

#10 Adamthedeertracker

Adamthedeertracker

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:36 PM

Green sunfish in this system?

#11 tomcycle

tomcycle

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:25 AM

Green sunfish in this system?

Yes.  according to; https://www.toronto....pment-part2.pdf

The Green Sunfish is a recent arrival to Toronto. It was first discovered in the lower Humber River in 1993 and is slowly expanding its range farther upstream and into other streams.

Does anyone know if the fish just north of the reservoir is safe to eat?

Back in the early 90's we ate the carp on a semi-regular basis.

#12 Tyler0420

Tyler0420

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:59 AM

How big are the carp in there?

#13 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:21 AM

Does anyone know if the fish just north of the reservoir is safe to eat?

Back in the early 90's we ate the carp on a semi-regular basis.

this will answer your question https://www.ontario....io-fish-2017-18

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Claireville, Reservoir, fish, bass, carp, perch, crappie, sunfish, catfish, bull