• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Colesy

Colesy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

Back into fishing after 20 yrs off...10 yr old wanted to fish I am back and glad to be...but...been on rice 3 times, and nada...tried Texas senko, wacky senko and drop shots...nada...tried trolling but weeds kept interrupting.

Just want my young lad to catch a fish...should I worm and bobber around an island with him?

Even a decent size crappie or perch...or a nice mudcat would do.

Just need a little help...will be back out Thursday or next weekend..he is getting discouraged, but still having fun

Thank you in advance

Colesy

#2 Multispeciesangler59

Multispeciesangler59

Earthworm

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

I never fished Rice Lake but I will be seeing as I am moving in the Durham region this fall...so I dont know too much about Rice Lake but the young ones normally dont care too much about size but they love non stop action! Pannies and small cats should keep him entertained! It kept me entertained when I was his age haha! Good luck on your next outing with your son. Tight lines!

#3 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:19 AM

Hey man, right now Rice Lake on weekends is extremely busy, a lot of people fishing and boating. Also, the heat has been really really bad for bass. I was out today for a little bit but I ended up just going for a swim with the girlfriend. I am going to head out again on tuesday early morning around 6 am on the water. Top water frogs have been working around 8pm til when it gets dark. I will let you know what happens during the week.

#4 Colesy

Colesy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Hey man, right now Rice Lake on weekends is extremely busy, a lot of people fishing and boating. Also, the heat has been really really bad for bass. I was out today for a little bit but I ended up just going for a swim with the girlfriend. I am going to head out again on tuesday early morning around 6 am on the water. Top water frogs have been working around 8pm til when it gets dark. I will let you know what happens during the week.

Thanks always catching let me know how u do!

#5 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

I can tell you the fish are biting in this hot weather, that is a myth and you just need to hunt them down.

As for tips, a guarantee to catch you fish is to dropshot Slammers in and around weeds.

Dirk

#6 smcs28

smcs28

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

I was there a couple weeks ago for our honeymoon.  We caught a large mouth, a walleye, and lots of pan fish.  Worms seem to work the best there.

One day we were out on the boat and we saw schools of bass in a bay, so we headed there and were in the middle of all these bass.  and NOTHING.  It's definitely hit or miss.

#7 Colesy

Colesy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

Thank you smcs28...and congrats on the wedding!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rice Lake, walleye, bass, Rice lake, mudcat, perch