• 867 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

#2 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

I'd be very weiry of this pending the size and action of your rod.

10lbs braid, if you end up snagged on something (I am ssuming you are river fishing) you could potentially snapp the rod.

#3 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

IMO, don't bother with braid if you don't need lots of line on the spool. It costs way too much and only improves a cast by a little bit. It also is a pain in the butt when you get a birdnests. It doesn't come out and you always have to reel in with a fairly taught line or you'll get a huge birdsnest on the spool.

#4 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

10lbs braid, if you end up snagged on something (I am ssuming you are river fishing) you could potentially snapp the rod.

#5 JON88

JON88

Earthworm

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Braid starts taking in water after repeated casts. Just stick to mono. I use suffix seige personally. In addition, mono acts like a secondary shock absorber when fighting a larger fish meaning less break offs.

#6 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

somebody on the forum, can't remember who, suggested to use 10lb braid on the pin, supposed to be smooth for casting and less line twist for those of us that use the side cast.....anybody else tried braid on the pin? if so how was it?

Fire line crystal
14lb with a shot line and flouro leader. Does not soak up line as stated because it is a fused line.
Casts extremely well and no line twist. Instant hooksets. Only downfall is it beds itself due to the thin line, that is after a huge fish or snag. Usually have to play the line out after a couple of drifts.
Nano fill is good until the temps drop below freezing.
Stands out in a crowd because everyone can see it hence the shot line.

#7 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

i have fireline crystal spooled on my pin.. never had any issues....

#8 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

biggest problem i can see with braid is tip rap, its so suppl and on a float rod it would probably drive you crazy

#9 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

Some guys swear by spooling braid on their pin. Zero stretch, cast further, no line twist. It has drawbacks as well tho bad bedding, I hear its harder to cast and I can see it,  more costly and no good for sub zero temps. Steelhead101 I think you are right and the tip wrap would be a real pain.

When I get hung up I will give it a few light lifts with the rod then point it at the snag and grab the line so I don't risk snapping my pole. If you just yank up on it not only could you snap your rod but send your float, shot line and possibly still bait flying towards a tree branch, your face or around your rod about 50 times lol

#10 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Fire line crystal
14lb with a shot line and flouro leader. Does not soak up line as stated because it is a fused line.
Casts extremely well and no line twist. Instant hooksets. Only downfall is it beds itself due to the thin line, that is after a huge fish or snag. Usually have to play the line out after a couple of drifts.
Nano fill is good until the temps drop below freezing.
Stands out in a crowd because everyone can see it hence the shot line.

i have fireline crystal spooled on my pin.. never had any issues....

#11 robbyc

robbyc

Sunfish

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

ive be using power pro 8#, and most recently power pro super slick 8#. Awesome stuff for float fishing. Amazing effortless hook sets, especially in long drifts. In my opinion the fight feels better too.

#12 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

#13 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

It was me that posted that about braid and it in my opinion is better than mono .. As far as breaking your rod if you get snagged that's what leaders are for and the birds nests are easier to untangle than mono .. If you have ever used braid you know its lighter than mono so you can do really long drifts and never let your line touch the water and if you are worried about absorbing water you can add a 15' pice of 10lb mono to the end of your braid which also works well in the winter keeps the ice off your braid ..you have a lot of people here who are afraid of trying something that is not the norm and will shoot it down before giving it a second thought so al I can say is try it what's it hoing to hurt if you don't like it put the line on a spinning reel you have

#14 fishfearme

fishfearme

Sunfish

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

I personally have never tried braid on the 'pin and there are two reasons why I never will.

1: I have heard way too many stories of braid cutting grooves into the guides. I've got too much invested to take a risk like that.

2: Braid is not a cold weather line, absorbing water and badly freezing up. A lot of my fishing is done in below zero temps, so that just wouldn't work for me.

#15 robbyc

robbyc

Sunfish

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

does power pro super slick soak up any water like someone suggested earlier?

super slick does not absorb water

#16 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

If you use sic's or the metal insert you won't have a problem with it cutting your guides !! Cheep plastic insert then you may have a problem ..
And I fished all winter with no issue !! I just put a 15 ' length of 10lb mono before my top swivel to prevent Ice from forming on the braid

#17 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

laughed so hard at this. Snap the rod? Explain please how you are snapping your rod.

#18 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

If you are snagged up on a rock or whatever and yank your rod to free the line.

Your rod comes with a line rating for a reason. Most light action float roads are ocmmonly 4-8lbs rating. If you have 10lbs braid, I was reading its actaully alot stronger than 10lbs mono. So I am going to say 12lbs line on a 4-8lbs rod and you yanking?

I have snapped a light action rod fighting a salmon on 8lbs line on a 12' Shimano Northern series rod years ago.

Keep laughin bucko- when you expirence it, you will never forget it.

#19 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

If you are snagged up on a rock or whatever and yank your rod to free the line.

Your rod comes with a line rating for a reason. Most light action float roads are ocmmonly 4-8lbs rating. If you have 10lbs braid, I was reading its actaully alot stronger than 10lbs mono. So I am going to say 12lbs line on a 4-8lbs rod and you yanking?

I have snapped a light action rod fighting a salmon on 8lbs line on a 12' Shimano Northern series rod years ago.

Keep laughin bucko- when you expirence it, you will never forget it.

if you know how to set it up this will never happen !!

Lets say you use 12lb braid to give your self some versatility and your fishing 11' deep you will use 10' of 8-10 lb mono or fluorocarbon that you put your float and split shot on then you add a 3-4' 4-6lb tippet !! So unless you put it in a tree the braid will never get hung up

#20 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

This is true, sorry I was assuming for some reason it was 10lbs braind from pin to hook.....