• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Rebel

Rebel

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Im looking to get a new float rod and i noticed the okuma guide select 13'6" at sail today for $130. Does anybody have any feedback on this rod. I currentley have an quantam cold stream which is a 13' but its on its last leg. Any other options for a good float rod that wont hurt the bank would be appreciated. 

#2 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

the aventas are pretty good 

#3 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

Aye streamsides are probably the best bang for the buck

#4 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Aye streamsides are probably the best bang for the buck

x2

#5 David Parker

David Parker

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:51 AM

Why is your current rod on it's way out ?

#6 Rebel

Rebel

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:00 AM

I've had the rod for many years and the guides which have steel inserts have nicks in them and the cork is starting to fall apart. I think I paid 90-100 for it for a starter setup. Instead of replacing the guides I figured I deserved a new one.

#7 Rebel

Rebel

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

Thank for the help guys. I'm picking up my new streamside tranquility this week. What a nice light rod and pretty light on the wallet too.

#8 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Thank for the help guys. I'm picking up my new streamside tranquility this week. What a nice light rod and pretty light on the wallet too.

nice choice !!! Yoyo should consider rebuilding your quantum for a back up or loaner rod

#9 Rebel

Rebel

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

How much do you think it would cost per guide?

#10 Porkpie

Porkpie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

How much do you think it would cost per guide?

Your probably looking at more than the initial value of the rod. In this instance, I would strip damaged guides and replace them myself. It is not overly difficult if you aren't seeking show room results. Strip the damaged guides, go to your local shop (Kingsway is good in the Guelph area, or Angling specialties in the GTA) and have them match the sizes, buy some thread and some 2 part rod epoxy, then notch a paper box on both sides for a rudimentary wrapping station and have at it. There are a few good videos on YouTube. Good luck!

#11 David Parker

David Parker

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

Repair costs would be based on the OA condition of the rod and what it is you want done. If guides are broken, then price is determined by the cost per guide ( as prices vary considerably ) + time and materials needed to do the repair. If it's a total re + re, then it is based on OA time to do the refurbish.

Many anglers have rods that they really love, but stop using them because they have gotten old and worn, but there are many who are willing to pay the price to have the rod refurbished to fish it again for many more years. Personal choice of course.

#12 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

I just got the Sheffield DRII 13'4 as a warranty replacement and am really impressed with the rod. The cork looks custom, wooden reel seat and I have always loved the blank.  At first I was a little put off because the butt section felt like it weighed twice as much as the butt section on the Rapala R2 (also a good option to look at over the streamside) but after fishing the rod I found it balances really well and feels lighter than the R2.

Both rods would be good options, my buddy showed me his new streamside with upgraded guides which I think ran him 200 bucks. Personally I would go with the top level Rapala R-Type for 150. I really like the blank as its a bit softer in the top for light leaders and the back section has a ton of backbone making the rod good for both salmon and steel.

#13 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

LOL @ the sale at Sail, $129.99 is regular price @ BP. They come one sale for $99 and $109. I picked one up for $109, but I found out I dont like 3pcs rods.

#14 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

Dont make your choice yet! Check out a raven im8

#15 procopio

procopio

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

LOL @ the sale at Sail, $129.99 is regular price @ BP. They come one sale for $99 and $109. I picked one up for $109, but I found out I dont like 3pcs rods.

What is BP  and where it is ? I am in Scarborough. I am looking for a good and cheaper rod trout and salmon. Thanks

#16 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

What is BP  and where it is ? I am in Scarborough. I am looking for a good and cheaper rod trout and salmon. Thanks

#17 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

I'm selling my im8 if you are, ravens are best mid class rods.

#18 Hasegawa

Hasegawa

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

Spend little more ,I buyed Raven RV9  13.6 and to be honest  it's fantastic rod ..

#19 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:59 PM

yeah that is why i am selling mine, to either buy rv9 rpx or nfc ml

#20 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

RV9 is beefy though, if its the only rod in your arsenal then the IM8 is better IMO. I've got the XST now and love it but I wont take it to ditches, its a big water rod.