• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

This was a couple months ago. Was anchored down in a little lagoon in 4 FOW and casting senkos for bass. Meanwhile, I left my trolling rod behind me with the jerk bait just dangling in the water. Then out of nowhere I hear some commotion behind and my stationary rod starts moving. Turn around and reel in right away and I see that this nice looking largie managed to hook himself. He did all the work for me. I took a picture of the rod afterwards as an example.

This also happened 3 years ago when I left a small little crank bait dangling in the water. Only the very end of it too. A sunfish came up and smashed it.

xfdlw5.jpg

2u7n4mh.jpg

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

This is the same reason I don't let my toes dangle in the water - don't want to be bitten by a pike or snapping turtle

#3 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

This is the same reason I don't let my toes dangle in the water - don't want to be bitten by a pike or snapping turtle

lol. especially for women with toe rings. or men with smelly feet.

#4 MENACE

MENACE

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

This happened to me before, Had a dbl tailed yellow jig on my rod, I sat it behind me in the canoe grabbed my other rod and started casting. A few minutes later there was commotion behind me as I turned to look I seen my rod tip bent over. grabbed the rod and landed a nice pike.

#5 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

The second bait dangling in the water might be considered ,by the MNR folks, as fishing with two rods.

#6 gnat

gnat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Something similar but a bit more of a tragic end happened to me this summer. We were on Dalrymple and found a spot where the perch were super greedy. My line got a bit tangled on the reel so I released it and the crankbait fell into the water. As I was untangling it I realized something had grabbed it right away. It was a perch but somehow it got a hook in the head. When I took it out and put him back in the water he was a floater. Tried to revive it but I think the hook got it in the brain.  :(  I felt really bad about it and took a mopey break from fishing as I watched it drift away when out of nowhere a seagull swooped down and gulped it. I felt a bit better after that and kept fishing. Circle of life I guess...?

#7 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

One time back when I was new to steelheading I was standing over a log jam on an eastern ditch and left a jig hanging in the current in between a bunch of logs. It turned out there were a bunch of large steelhead underneath it and one of them nailed the jig and went for a long run somewhere underneath the log jam only to break off. I really had no chance of landing this fish, but it was still pretty awesome at the time :mrgreen:

#8 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

agrees with 

staffman

if the hooks are in the water the MNR MAY charge you with fishing with 2 lines

#9 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

I have had this happen ice fishing a few years ago.  On the lake I was fishing you can fish two rods.  I usually have bait on one rod and I jig with another in a different hole.  I was doing the same and left my jigging rod on the rod holder and left the jig in the water.  I went to jig the other hole for a while.  About a half hour later I see my stationary rod dive into the hole only to be saved by the rod holder.  I set the hook on a nice 24" arctic char.  I don't know why it would hit the stationary jig when I was jigging one about four feet away.  Weird but still cool. 

#10 FishChaser67

FishChaser67

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Was also ice fishing ,, was by my self drilled my first hole thought I would set up a tip up ,hooked on a minnow dropped it in the hole , started drilling  my next hole as I was done I turned around and my tip up was GONE, did not hear a thing,  still missing in action lol

#11 threeparrots

threeparrots

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

agrees with 

staffman

if the hooks are in the water the MNR MAY charge you with fishing with 2 lines

Man you guys get off on pointing this stuff out!!