• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

inb4 "I am having a great season so far".

Now that that is out of the way. It is apparent the east tribs are, generally, quieter in the names of steel compared to last fall. Last fall the forum was glowing. We are already into the end of November... thick runs were apparent this time last year. 

Is it still early, or are we in for a slow fall/winter for 13/14 ?   Im not saying there are no fish because they are there. Just not as many.. slower days.

Discuss.

#2 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

2 of the east tribs i fish, the main run has blown through 2 weeks ago, i went in the evening 2 weeks ago and it was a bow every drift, they blew through, when the cohos and chines started to die off, right now the little runs are coming in, I'm sure there will still be at least 1 good run, but most likely a lot of people will miss it, 2 weeks ago in the evening when everyone was packing up, there were literally fins sticking out, in the morning every single fish was in the sanctuary, its all about timing, 2nd day after rain is key in my fav. east trib.

#3 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

that being said i was at 2 different east creeks, one on sunday the other on tuesday, on sunday not a single fish, but in the evening couple came in and i managed a nice hen, monday it was very slow, all the fish had blown through to the sanctuary, i got one really coloured up hen and that was it, slow right now for sure. by far the most steelhead I've ever seen in any east trib was 2 weeks ago.

#4 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

A lot of fish moved up in west. After last good rain i think it was about 3 weeks ago i took hole week off just for fishing and man one day i think it was Tuesday every 3rd or 4th cast i had a hit. Next day slowed down a bit but still fish were hinting. Thing is now water level is low and it is Gin clear it is bit harder to catch fish but they are here. Very good run and still more to come. So for me, season is good if i see fish going up, not how many i landed. So far for me it is excellent season. Last Sunday i only had one hit and landed the same fish but i can not complain.

Good luck to you all.

#5 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Seeing lots of smaller fish out east, which is nice to see. I have yet to land one over 3 or so this year, that being said I have seen in the 8lb class. Lots of fish have moved up into sanctuaries with the varying water conditions we have had this year. One of my best days was  6-8 with only about 5 inches of visibility in the water. You really have to work for them this year which is kind of nice

#6 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Isnt the season "over" at the end of december?  How can you be sure that we are getting fewer fish this year if there is still a month left of fishing? 

Maybe the runs are super late, is that possible?

Compared to last year, is this november a mild one?

#7 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

oh great. pink font.

The east tribs are all open from CN tracks down 24 7 365.

#8 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

oh great. pink font.

your signature inspired the pink font, buck

#9 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

there's a run after every rain...who knows how heavy the runs are...nobody fishes from 7pm till 4am or is there?...trout rely on cover. we all know the best drifts on daylight are drop offs from big rocks or log jams because this is cover for trout. when it's dark...trout feels safer and move upstream faster...

#10 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

looking at close areas...I won't be participating in the opener (meaning I won't be fishing areas that only open when the season opens) i will pretty much fish close to the mouth. It's one way to fight trout...it's another to fight a trout with more bling than lil' wayne...

#11 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

The rivers that I fish have been high and muddy for the past month, but I have no doubt that it is full of fish and they could be almost anywhere in the high water. Hopefully next week the levels will fall.

#12 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

there's a run after every rain..

quoting for emphasis. Not a huge beliber in this "one huge run" fibs that circle around. I fish the trout consistently Octovber thru April with March and April being the best two months.

tumblr_mwesxfZ3AT1sczvtlo1_400.gif

#13 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

that is one badass double foot spin right there^

#14 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

there's a run after every rain...who knows how heavy the runs are...nobody fishes from 7pm till 4am or is there?...trout rely on cover. we all know the best drifts on daylight are drop offs from big rocks or log jams because this is cover for trout. when it's dark...trout feels safer and move upstream faster...

that is not true, in the daytime they move up very fast because they are very pressured, in the nightie they are not pressured, in the daytime they all run up into the sanctuaries at night they feel very crowded and go down, because they feel very crowded in that one tiny hole, I've seen it myself, also i fish after 7pm, not before 4 am, but ill fish right up until 10 sometimes, its amazing how well they bite at night if you have the right bait, they feel less pressured and notice less things, also to FisherGirl: the season is open up to highway 2 until new years then every creek is open to the cnr bridge.

#15 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

also I've been noticing lots of small bows too, around the 3 pound range, but I've yet to catch one smaller then 3 lbs this year, i like the smaller fish, they fight better and jump more and are funner to mess around with, all I'm getting this season in the east is fish albs and up, with 3, 3-4 pounders mixed in so far, the big ones you just have to wait until they stop swimming upstream i cant do crap with my 4 lbs test, well i can but its risky and i don't like losing fish, lol, now the g-bay tribs are getting huge runs of steelies, at least the ones i fish, when i was there it was high and dirty, but it was basically a float down every drift right up until 3 o clock, and the fish were smaller too, perfect eaters!

#16 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

that is not true, in the daytime they move up very fast because they are very pressured, in the nightie they are not pressured, in the daytime they all run up into the sanctuaries at night they feel very crowded and go down, because they feel very crowded in that one tiny hole, I've seen it myself, also i fish after 7pm, not before 4 am, but ill fish right up until 10 sometimes, its amazing how well they bite at night if you have the right bait, they feel less pressured and notice less things, also to FisherGirl: the season is open up to highway 2 until new years then every creek is open to the cnr bridge.

your post just agreed to what i'm saying and i agree with what you're saying lol...like i said. trout tend to be active when it's darker...and they start coming out of the woodwork. as it gets brighter it definitely slows down unless it'a  big run.

#17 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

also I've been noticing lots of small bows too, around the 3 pound range, but I've yet to catch one smaller then 3 lbs this year, i like the smaller fish, they fight better and jump more and are funner to mess around with, all I'm getting this season in the east is fish albs and up, with 3, 3-4 pounders mixed in so far, the big ones you just have to wait until they stop swimming upstream i cant do crap with my 4 lbs test, well i can but its risky and i don't like losing fish, lol, now the g-bay tribs are getting huge runs of steelies, at least the ones i fish, when i was there it was high and dirty, but it was basically a float down every drift right up until 3 o clock, and the fish were smaller too, perfect eaters!

that's what i'm mostly catching these days. 2-3lbs nothing bigger...and honestly i'm happy with that size...and believe it or not i don't re-tie a lot.

#18 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

your post just agreed to what i'm saying and i agree with what you're saying lol...like i said. trout tend to be active when it's darker...and they start coming out of the woodwork. as it gets brighter it definitely slows down unless it'a  big run.

wow i don't pay attention, lol, i love the smaller guys, the big ones are not fun, but thats just my opinion, i don't re-tie often either, unless i want to change the setup, or after i get a fish on, ill check it, if it doesn't rip, ill keep using it.

#19 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'm mostly a Huron trib guy. Been a lot of blown rivers this November but, surprisingly enough, some guys (and ladies) have had huge days when I would have deemed the rivers unfishable. Lots of BIG fish too...and hopefully some decent runs to come!

#20 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

I haven't seen the east at all this year but west I can say has been good this year so far. not great or bad, just good.

have only had a couple days where it was garbage for everyone involved

theres been a lot more rain then usual and the muddy/high waters are making it easier for the runs to zip on through before they get all pocketed or hooked up but they are def still there...

speaking of weather. this week, if the patterns keep up, this weekend should be killer round here!

best of luck to you all who aren't having the best year, its gonna get better!