• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:46 AM

The record numbers of fish seen across most of Southern Ontario in the fall of 2011/2012 was partly due to cool summers in 2008 and 2009 which allowed for great survival rates of the juvenile fish across the board,

^this is exactly it.

#42 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

Fishing has been steady for me this fall. Since the water has been high it has been hard to time a big push of fish, most days the fish have been relatively scattered, a few here a few there but nothing to write home about. While theres been no crazy number days the size of the fish has made up for it..

The record numbers of fish seen across most of Southern Ontario in the fall of 2011/2012 was partly due to cool summers in 2008 and 2009 which allowed for great survival rates of the juvenile fish across the board, they were able to find suitable habitat even in the main river branches which are far too warm during a normal summer. The boatloads of 4-7lbers in the tribs in fall of 2011 would have been 2 and 3 year old fish from these 2 years. However, summers 2010, 2011 and 2012 were a much different story, at least on the tribs I fish (Lake H), these summers saw brutally hot conditions and little precipitation which resulted in the main rivers and feeder creeks nearly drying up in some instances, therefore the survival rate would be much lower and that is showing this year as there is a definate lack of small to medium size fish. Most are big mature fish that are likely the last of the 2008 years crop, Im no biologist but in my opinion next fall could be a tough one. Thankfully this past summer was cool and wet with great water levels, so we should be seeing the rewards of that in a couple years.  

one of the most informative posts I have ever read on this forum. Thanks man.

#43 FishChaser67

FishChaser67

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

For me the 2013 fall run was great got 3 Pinks and 4 Chinooks lots of fish in the creeks ,,  next year im going back for round 2 cant wait ,,smoker will be working OVERTIME,,,lol

#44 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

I am talking steel not boots...... oct and nov... and even now in Dec.. its not hot like it was last year.

#45 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Is it to late for a run in dec?

I think my trib hasn't gotten a fresh batch in awhile

#46 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Haven't fished for steelhead or salmon even once this season, but based on my weather observations, I knew that tonnes of fish would be blowing through, flying upstream, with all of the rain earlier in the season, as opposed to last year, bunching up in crazy #'s and everyone getting 10+ fish days when it finally rained and they came to play. We were smashing them at the mouth last year for well over a month, then smashing them again when they ran. More rain this year = different scenario.

Having said that, I've seen many nice reports posted. 

#47 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

Last year with the temps and rain the water was consistently high and a steady flow of fish were in all winter this year the rivers are very low and the fish are waiting for a change in the weather to move in volumes !! There is still lost of fish to come in its all about timing

#48 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

We had a lot of rain around the salmon season but only a couple good rainfalls since and the water temps were pretty warm until recently and the steal head for the most part will wait for the temp to drop !! The temps are where you want them now and when the water levels permit it you will see a lot more fish

#49 fishfearme

fishfearme

Sunfish

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

Its not unlikely that fish will run throughout the winter, but runs are very weather permitting. The cold weather has moved in early and seems to be sticking around. Watch for warm spells and hit the river. Periods of warm weather (even a couple of days) will trigger fresh runs. Remember, fall steelhead have the luxury of running when everything is perfect. They won't spawn until late February, early March, so they can wait.

#50 freshMint

freshMint

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

I must say the "fall run" was fantastic. It was my first season of 'steelheading', thanks to a co-worker who took me out once, and I havent looked back.

The first few ventures were mostly me tangling up, and losing fish, whilst watching more seasoned anglers bring in some beautiful fish..I definitely enjoyed myself

each and every outting, and cant wait until the creeks and rivers thaw again. 

#51 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Fall run was great, haven't got out consistantly, but when I did. Never skunked!

#52 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

I was talking to a fisherman who was catching fresh chrome at the beginning of September.  Isn't that way early?  What does that mean?

#53 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

it means that the salmon came in early and the trout followed them, most trout spawn in early spring, they come in the fall to eat salmon eggs, i get lots of steel in early september and at times even in august, I've seen them come in earlier then salmon, temperature has alot to do with it.

#54 JustOneMoreTime

JustOneMoreTime

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Many species have "outside the norm" runs.

Up to 25% will run either before or after what is considered the Historical zone.

These outside times are not usually the optimum for conditions, however help cover the Odds against extreme weather patterns that may occur during the normal times.

Nature is simply betting on the math.

Covering it's angles.

In areas with less historical fluctuation of conditions ... less % outside the box.

In area with frequent changes .. more so.

#55 fishfearme

fishfearme

Sunfish

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

Steelhead don't follow salmon in to eat their eggs. Sure they capitalize on the opportunity, but it is not the reason they run. It all really comes down to the strain of fish as to when they run. Chrome steelhead in September is not unheard of, and on some Ontario tribs it's normal. Fall steelhead have next to no urgency in their run (they won't spawn until early spring) and therefore the run is really based on conditions (primarily water temps and levels) as opposed to a need to do so. On many tribs I fish there was a significant run early, then another later in the fall.