Photo

lets get the shoutbox private!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Let's make the shoutbox private ! (29 member(s) have cast votes)

should the shoutbox be visible to members only

1. yes,only members should be able to see the shoutbox (25 votes [86.21%])

Percentage of vote: 86.21%

2. no, it should stay the way it is, where only members can use it, but Anyone can see it (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

I think the shoutbox should be viewable by members only. currently only members can contribute but Everyone including guests can se it. What do you think ? Lets put it to a vote!

#2 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

I thought it was always private

#3 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

Good idea way to many lurkers.....

#4 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

Sure for members only would be ok. I am surprised if people are sharing vital info on the shout box..... the do realize EVERYONE can read it. Right now I only share vital info through PM's.

#5 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

I agree, but what is stopping someone from signing up with an account to just lurk??? Maybe a 10 post minimum to view?

I agree at any rate for it to be private.

#6 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

Sure for members only would be ok. I am surprised if people are sharing vital info on the shout box..... the do realize EVERYONE can read it. Right now I only share vital info through PM's.

I've seen quite a bit of river names come through the shoutbox. That surprised me .. but eh. it happens. 

I'd agree with making it private. Maybe dont allow people to see it until they can post? 

#7 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

I agree, but what is stopping someone from signing up with an account to just lurk??? Maybe a 10 post minimum to view?

I agree at any rate for it to be private.

If I am not mistaken I do believe there is a requirement of a certain amount of posts you have to make before you are able to use the shout box. ( I think ).

#8 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

You can have 0 posts and view it, I think its 10 or 25 posts before you can communicate in the shoutbox.

I agree it should be private/un-viewable till the 10-25 posts are full filled.

#9 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

you know. part of me wants to leave it as is, but people get too candid on there sometimes and possibly the wrong type of people are seeing whats there.

by the wrong type of people i mean those who just  skip through looking for hotspots and never bother to contribute anything at all. or lurkers as you'd call em..

i voted to make it private. should be something that opens up after you reach a certain post count imo

and i barely even use it but i always see usefull info posted and wonder who else is seeing it.

#10 Drift king

Drift king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

50 posts and your in

#11 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

I think the 5 post "probationary " period is fine. Just dont thinks it should be viewed by the masses

#12 nitewatcher769

nitewatcher769

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

I guess I am a lurker .. I gave up river fishing .. Just tired of it.. I head to quinte to fish at the trailer .. And now I am working on learning trolling on Erie and Ontario.. So any way yes I look at only a few posts and don't say much .. So if I had to gain some posts to join in .. I would .. But I would still just sit back and read ..

#13 sLAsh

sLAsh

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

I am also a lurker. Don't know much about river fishing so doing lots of reading. Most of my fishing is bass and pike using a canoe. Done some fishing while going down the grant

#14 pwadm

pwadm

Sunfish

• Administrators
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

I made the change, and website visitors can't see the Shoutbox anymore. Thank you TroutCommander for making the poll.

#15 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Sweet addition.

#16 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

Awesome pwadm! Appreciate it!

#17 Drift king

Drift king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

nice way to go guys

#18 sprocketman

sprocketman

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

I have always thought if there was a way to start   a  way of sharing great honey holes with other anglers that would not mistreat the resource     that I would sign up in a heart beat ........ Just a thought      . I guess at this point gaining trust  and PM's   are the safest way to go     ????

#19 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:30 PM

I have always thought if there was a way to start   a  way of sharing great honey holes with other anglers that would not mistreat the resource     that I would sign up in a heart beat ........ Just a thought      . I guess at this point gaining trust  and PM's   are the safest way to go     ????

no body will openly share spots in a publicy viewable area, its a good way to get a spot burned, gain the trust of your fellow board members, schedual some meet ups. 

it is highly frowned upon to ask for spots in your first posts, and will only result in negative feedback