• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

I use the Dollarama MAKIMO Hooks, they are very sharp, once it hooks a fish the fish won't be able to get loose. Alot of the dollarama hooks are very sharp. Some of the lures I bought for fun to try got hooked to a cloth and it was impossible to remove. Their hooks are very good if you buy the makimo packs. The small box with assorted silver hook sizes on the other hand are not that great, but still works. I have switched to makimo hooks because I know once it hooks it won't unhook. But I own a bunch of Mustads as well. Was trying around.

So I went into the Dollarama to get some windproof lighters and looked at the fishing gear. The one nearest me got in alot more stuff this time. A few cranks that look good but I have my doubts about it's quality. I picked up 2 packs of their hooks of various sizes, 90 in a pack. They look like siwash. When I opened it the first hook I took out looked like it was barbless. Which is not a bad thing, less injury to the fish, but when looked closer there is a barb only it's very very small. It should be small enough to stay on but not harm the fish too much. When I took out a #6 hook it too had a very small barb, great I thought easier to remove when if I get a fish on them. These are chrome/nickle plated. I find the barbs on most other hooks from Gamagatsu or Mustad too large and causes alot of damage to the fish and sometimes too difficult to remove. I know, use a pair of pliars to pinch the barbs down, I don't normally carry a pair with me as I use a hemostat to remove hooks. These Dollarama might be good hooks, they seem sharp, I can stick it onto my fingernail and it will hold.

Just when I thought Dollarama just sold cheap junk, I have to try them out and test it's fish catch and release ability. They look promising. Does anyone else have a review of fishing gear from Dollarama? I have not seen anything at Everything For a Dollar or Dollar Tree yet.

#22 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

You can find $2 topwater frogs that work, and have brought me fish. Before you use it, take a gluegun and hot glue the stopper on the bottom. This way you won't loose it. I lost it on mine and had to buy another.

#23 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

Lolz I search this on the bass pro website and guess who has the first review.... check it out: http://www.basspro.c...ct/45149/125731

"Busteddddddd!" :rolleyes:

#24 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

Dollorrama and other buck or two type store fishign gear I grab an throw in my small game and exploring tackle, but if I am fishing where I expect to caught 3 pound plus fish I buy brand name hooks and gear.

Was useing a Dollorerrama setup about a month ago and had a 4 pound Largmouth on, right at shore the Hook shank snaped and I took the Bobber right between teh eyes, draw blood and all, I was cheacking a Lake for Speaks, there where none

#25 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

Allen...lol. You must have filled your tackle box. $30??????? It would probably work out to $100 at any other place. I'm gonna collect my lose change and see if I can that much gear........lol.

LargeMouth thanks for the tip. My store did'nt have Makimo, but I'll be on the look out for them next time for sure.

Michael thanks for the tip, I did'nt see a frog lure, now I want one.....lol.

Liger it's like Nado said about the hooks on their lures. Try changing them, I also read about changing the split ring also.

#26 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Bass Pro has a special on now where you can order a minimum of $75 and they ship it to your door here in Canada at no cost. Just bought 80 bucks in plugs ( *cough STATIC SHADS cough*) and jigs and it came to 92 bucks in taxes and duty. Bass Pro's Tourney Minnow (4.5 inches) is going for $1.99 so i grabbed me some.

Having said that, I also went to "Mom and Pop" tackle shop and found a 12 year old Shimano Sedona 1000 for 45 bucks so I dropped 60 with them. Share the wealth. The old school Sedona is a sweet little reel (i have had one before and i have the 2000) and at only three ball bearings it sure feels like more. Tight little unit that casts incredibly.

Just got out of the boat - 25 black and white crappie -

Dollarama tomorrow... I am now fixted on angling frugality.

Tighten yer belts, lads!

#27 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Went to a Dollarama in a different town today, and found the spinner set I purchased in Bowmanville a couple weeks ago. Their spinners appeared to be a smorgasbord of styles, sizes, shapes and colours, but there is some consistency to their spinner selection. This particular Dollarama had no hooks, so they're either not stocked here or sold out. Last fall the one in Belleville north of the highway had a bunch of the 90pc hook sets. Those are excellent trout hooks, but use their larger ones which I think are 12 for a buck for pike and bass.

Found shoe goo for a buck fifty, everyone with cheap waders can benefit from that. I just spent 8 bucks on some RTV silicone for the rubber boots attached to my waders, hoping it would work, but I think the damage is beyond repair. I'm going to attempt a more diligent repair this week and see if I can get it to hold. If anyone has ever successfully repaired large splits on the bottom of their rubber boots, please do share how.

I have the green waders that Gagnon's had on sale last summer. Should have kept the receipt as they offered a 1 year warranty. Anyone know if Gagnon's would honour the warranty if I didn't keep my receipt? Is it a long process of waiting for the manufacturer to respond, or do they just give you a new pair?

#28 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

we need all our Frugal Anglers to post their pics of fish caught on Frugal Tackle!

#29 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

How about pics of the fish lost due to frugal tackle? :razz:

#30 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

How about pics of the fish lost due to frugal tackle? :razz:

OMG that is funny!!!!!! :lol: hmmmm I was just at Dollarama and some of the tackle is so sketchy it made me smile lol innocent, naive and offshore, The Bass Pro knock-offs are truly several notches up the tackle evolutionary scale for sure.

FYI at this Dollarama the fishing tackle was in two separate aisles

#31 kugz83

kugz83

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

I went and purchased a couple of there spoons at the beginning of the season.

After using it in a pond in my area (catching pike) and seeing how well they worked and the action they had I went back to dollarama and grabbed the 5 remaining they had. I have caught pike, walleye, bass(SM and LM), a catfish and some sunfish as well as a big snapping turtle all off the same spoon(well a couple of the same spoons)

My buddy laughed when I told him I got it at the dollarama... until I started bring in fish

#32 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

Lots of fish are more dumb than I think they are. A $5 spool and a $1 soon may look exactly the same to them. :) But i'm just speculating.

My friend, first time fishing, outfished me and my other friend combined with yellow grubs, deadsticked in the water.

#33 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

At the end of the day all the hooks and lures are made in china lol!

Lots of fish are more dumb than I think they are. A $5 spool and a $1 soon may look exactly the same to them. :) But i'm just speculating.

My friend, first time fishing, outfished me and my other friend combined with yellow grubs, deadsticked in the water.

#34 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Well my recon of Dollarama plugs was frightening lol

the construction is sooooo sketchy there is no way I would tie one on.... line eye that is loose and appears to be glued into the lip, treble hook screws that are tiny and barely penetrate the two piece moulded body (that is held together by glue) :mrgreen:

lol for a buck it simply, obviously, isn't worth it. Bass Pro has great plugs of their own (*cough* STATID SHAD *cough*) that are often on sale for $1.99, $2.99 (usually sell for a low $3.99) that i find to be fantastic and blow these puppies out of the water.

Dollarama's hooks looked fine and those Slurpees look interesting (although a tad large at my store)....

I am a Frugal Angler but Bass Pro would be my Frugal Line in the Sand, erm, Water lol :lol:

OK i did grab a Dollarama plug (one eye is missing... i couldn't stop laughing) and will post a pic, hopefully, of a crappie caught on it for a hoot :blink:

omg I'm laughing right now!!!!!! lol

#35 Tangled Spool

Tangled Spool

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

The problem with the dollarama tackle is the swimming action in the plugs or fish like lures.. maybe bad luck but I have bought 2 of them, one didn't swim at all and worked more like a really awful topwater with erratic moves; the other one simply broke when stuck in a branch when I was trying to pull it out. The plastics are pretty good and the spinners and spoons are the best for the price, never lost a single fish on them. my 2 cents.

#36 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

I went and purchased a couple of there spoons at the beginning of the season.

After using it in a pond in my area (catching pike) and seeing how well they worked and the action they had I went back to dollarama and grabbed the 5 remaining they had. I have caught pike, walleye, bass(SM and LM), a catfish and some sunfish as well as a big snapping turtle all off the same spoon(well a couple of the same spoons)

My buddy laughed when I told him I got it at the dollarama... until I started bring in fish

I'd like to see pics of your success and the spoon too if you have them. Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

#37 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

At the end of the day all the hooks and lures are made in china lol!

Yup all the best and worst manufacturers are there, you can't always tell whats good or bad. That's whats great about our site, we can openly review the products like Dollarama lures. I have heard that the steel leaders are crap. I got a pack from a mom and pop store and they are not that strong, not enough for a 20+lb pike. Usually I see the same certain brand names that are common in independent $ stores. Slurpies are one brand that are sold at Bass Pro, but they are at Dollarama for 1/3 the price.

Keep the great comments coming.

#38 odiaz08

odiaz08

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

ive bought the slurpies and landed me pike and bass(LM) this year.. never thought that thoses spons would land anything.

#39 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

Ok here is the deal of the day......lol.

I stopped at the Dollar Tree, where everything is $1.25. There are not alot of these stores around, but they do not have fishing equipment at all. But I did find this cool doublesided tackle/parts box. There were only 2 on the shelf and I got both, 1 is destined for plumbing parts....lol. The other I may use for either target fishing tackle like panfish, I have one for bass/pike already. Plano's are great but they are getting expensive, here is the frugal angler's alternative. Maybe we should call ourselves fruglers...lol...or fruggies....lol.

http://i1231.photobu...an/PICT0204.jpg

http://i1231.photobu...an/PICT0203.jpg

http://i1231.photobu...an/PICT0201.jpg

#40 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

Ok here is the deal of the day......lol.

I stopped at the Dollar Tree, where everything is $1.25. There are not alot of these stores around, but they do not have fishing equipment at all. But I did find this cool doublesided tackle/parts box. There were only 2 on the shelf and I got both, 1 is destined for plumbing parts....lol. The other I may use for either target fishing tackle like panfish, I have one for bass/pike already. Plano's are great but they are getting expensive, here is the frugal angler's alternative. Maybe we should call ourselves fruglers...lol...or fruggies....lol.

LOL!!!! @ Fruglers/Fruggies omg this thread is making me cry laughing the more it goes on

nice boxes! omg im actually crying right now :lol: Fruglers.... :D