Photo

OFF Ice Outing

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

Poll: Which lake? (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you attend at the following location?

1. Simcoe (13 votes [28.26%])

Percentage of vote: 28.26%

2. Haliburton (7 votes [15.22%])

Percentage of vote: 15.22%

3. I would attend at either one, I just want to ice fish! (26 votes [56.52%])

Percentage of vote: 56.52%

Which location would you prefer?

1. Simcoe (18 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

2. Up north (Haliburton or Muskoka) (17 votes [36.96%])

Percentage of vote: 36.96%

3. I don't have a preference (11 votes [23.91%])

Percentage of vote: 23.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

not cold enough yet. we feel like it is, but its not. we need a couple ripping cold, nostril crunching night like -20 and below to freeze simcoe. better get on your research!!!

#42 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHpPnIhWRAI

i'll go wherever she goes

Coulda at the least get a darn butt shot in the video......... Geeeeza

#43 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Is this what ice fishing is like?

THATS GOOD ice right there!!!!!!!!!!

#44 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Oh, and they're all coming to join us:

Posted Image

#45 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Oh, and they're all coming to join us:

Posted Image

:lol: hahaha!

#46 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Soooooo back to business, can we decide on a date an place?? How about Saturday jan the 26th. I'm sure the ice will be more than ready.

#47 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Soooooo back to business, can we decide on a date an place?? How about Saturday jan the 26th. I'm sure the ice will be more than ready.

I have to do some research this week on MNR stocking lists to determine which lake(s), if any, would make for a great laker outing not too far out of the way. Still considering Simcoe, but I need to check out what's happening ice-wise over there as well as in Haliburton, Muskoka and Kawarthas. I am hoping to find a good spot for lakers, I already have some in mind and if anyone has any suggestions feel free to post or PM me. I would prefer genuine lakers over splake.

Simcoe is wide open, this week I am going to pick a lake. The date will most likely be mid to late January. Picking a good lake is very important so I'm not just going with the first one that comes to mind. I have to take into consideration several factors and will hopefully make a decision by the end of this week.

It's looking like we'll have to pick a small Kawartha/Haliburton/Muskoka lake for our January outing. Most of us will not have floater suits and safe ice is of paramount importance. We can possibly do a Simcoe outing later in the season, but from what I've seen right now, Simcoe is wide open water. Even some of the bigger lakes up north have open water.

One of the advantages of going up north is cleaner water, probably zero crowds if we pick a good lake, and hopefully abundant fish.

I am open to suggestions but I'm not expecting anyone from this forum to divulge their honey holes for this outing.

#48 SmackUm

SmackUm

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Simcoe is wide open, this week I am going to pick a lake. The date will most likely be mid to late January. Picking a good lake is very important so I'm not just going with the first one that comes to mind. I have to take into consideration several factors and will hopefully make a decision by the end of this week.

It's looking like we'll have to pick a small Kawartha/Haliburton/Muskoka lake for our January outing. Most of us will not have floater suits and safe ice is of paramount importance. We can possibly do a Simcoe outing later in the season, but from what I've seen right now, Simcoe is wide open water. Even some of the bigger lakes up north have open water.

One of the advantages of going up north is cleaner water, probably zero crowds if we pick a good lake, and hopefully abundant fish.

I am open to suggestions but I'm not expecting anyone from this forum to divulge their honey holes for this outing.

There are lots of stocked lakes to choose from in Zone15/Muskoka for Brook/Lake Trout pg# 69-70 in the Recreational Fishing Summary gives their locations in Lat/Long for gps users...
I'd contact the MNR and ask them to e-mail you a copy of the stocking list for Zone15 they may even recomend some lakes & have other helpfull info on access etc...A cluster of small lakes close to the hwy and easy to access on foot might work out best...Good Luck! :)

#49 J'snest

J'snest

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Car Pooling sounds like a great idea. I live in Muskoka, so if we are going to Simcoe or Haliburton, I can pick up 2-3 on the way. I've never caught Whitefish so I'd be up for that. Lakers second and Perch 3rd. Come to think of it, I'm in for anything..............

#50 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I might be of some insight if you guys decide on a spot in muskoka, it's my backyard, and I know of a few lakes that hold good numbers of lake trout and white fish. One being across the road from my parents house where i put my hut out.

#51 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

THATS GOOD ice right there!!!!!!!!!!

nice ..umm pouch on the first "driller"

#52 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

ST,

FD's offer sounds pretty good to me! Go for it!!!Posted Image

#53 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

I might be of some insight if you guys decide on a spot in muskoka, it's my backyard, and I know of a few lakes that hold good numbers of lake trout and white fish. One being across the road from my parents house where i put my hut out.

If you don't mind a group of 5-25, depending on how many can make it, fishing these spots, that would be great. Would save me the work of finding a suitable lake.

Since not everyone will have their own fish finders, I'm thinking the smaller and shallower the lake, the better, but obviously still be deep enough to hold whities and lakers.

If the lake isn't super deep, then even without a fish finder, you can still have a good shot at catching a fish.

We don't necessarily need to make the location public. Once we pick a lake, we can just PM everyone who wants to come with the location.

I'm thinking Sunday the 20th or Sunday the 27th.

Is the ice thick enough up there already?

How many rods are you allowed to have in the water per angler? Hopefully we will get into a good number of fish on one of these lakes, with so many anglers. Should be fun.

#54 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

Hey salmotrutta, just a thought...

The last time I went ice fishing up in Haliburton for lakers, our entire group got skunked (3 + hour drive from T.O.)... that was on a well known lake trout lake north of Bancroft, with a local guide to boot. <_< Apparently the fishing was good earlier in the week, it just so happened the bite was off the day we were there... lol

I think Cooks Bay might be worth considering for an OFF outing. 1) It's super close to the city, plus 2) guaranteed good numbers of fish (perch) :D

Just my 0.02

#55 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Going for panfish definitely has its merits. I think there is enough interest for a laker/whitefish outing though. Skunks are always part of the game. As for the distance, I have a 7 seater and can pick up 6 anglers. That'd be about $10 in gas per angler.

If anyone else drives a van/suv and can take a group - please post.

#56 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

I vote for Jan 20---the 27th is quite 'iffy' for me.

#57 J'snest

J'snest

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

I'd be in for either date. I can pick up 3 people depending on where we end up going. I already live in Muskoka...........

#58 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Going for panfish definitely has its merits. I think there is enough interest for a laker/whitefish outing though. Skunks are always part of the game. As for the distance, I have a 7 seater and can pick up 6 anglers. That'd be about $10 in gas per angler.

If anyone else drives a van/suv and can take a group - please post.

Agree. Whities and Lakers would be more fun. I am in for either day (or both .lol)

#59 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

I can take 6 GTA'ers, can either get you if you don't have wheels or we can meet at one of the carpool parking lots.

Let's set the date for January 20th. If something happens unfavourably with the weather, January 27th can be our back up date. After lakers, there's no reason why we can't do another outing either for the same species or for something different. Maybe a walleye outing in February.

The plan is to basically meet up at a location TBA, drill a bunch of holes, use whatever bathymetry maps/local knowledge/fish finders that we have available to determine where and how far down we should be fishing, and hopefully hook up.

#60 fishernick

fishernick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

The 20th sounds perfect to me. Salmo, I'm in the gta and would love to get in on the carpool if possible, willing to pitch for some gas and coffees :)