• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

Can we get a clear outline on here if this is going to be a HOT TOPIC. The site is only going to grow, there will forever be new members. Its not fair for them to be ripped apart when they are DOING NOTHING WRONG.

What can be posted? and what can't? IT IS LEGAL TO CATCH AND KEEP.

If there are no rules governing this on the site, it is absolutely preposterous and ridiculous to rip into people who post pictures of keep and stringed fish SO LONG AS IT COINCIDES WITH THE REGULATIONS.

Its only fair for new members... and everyone to be on the same page.

Thanks.

GT.
ps. despite what you may think about me, I am 99% CandR. I'll keep one or two a year for some completely natural roe and good eat.. nothing goes to waste. I am all for sustaining and improving the steel and salmon populations!

#2 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

I keep fish often enough but dont post pics of fish on the forum on a stringer because its not a sight alot of guys like to see so why rub it in their face?

No need for the thread though, id hardly say he got ripped apart. Most of the thread was about clarification on the regs.

#3 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

I think a thread is a good idea! Makes sure everyone is clear about what to do. I don't mind seeing a fish on a stringer as long as it is legal which I am sure most fish are! No one complains when (not to put you on the spot) SmackUm (dude from way up north) posts pics of fish on a stringer. Maybe it is just when you see a guy fishing your river that you want c&r.

#4 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

I think a thread is a good idea! Makes sure everyone is clear about what to do. I don't mind seeing a fish on a stringer as long as it is legal which I am sure most fish are! No one complains when (not to put you on the spot) SmackUm (dude from way up north) posts pics of fish on a stringer. Maybe it is just when you see a guy fishing your river that you want c&r.

boom.

I honestly don't want this to turn into a shiest show. Lets come up, through respectful posts, with a general consensus please

#5 dsukh

dsukh

Sunfish

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

Can we get a clear outline on here if this is going to be a HOT TOPIC. The site is only going to grow, there will forever be new members. Its not fair for them to be ripped apart when they are DOING NOTHING WRONG.

What can be posted? and what can't? IT IS LEGAL TO CATCH AND KEEP. Some amongst us are UNAWARE of this apparently.

If there are no rules governing this on the site, it is absolutely preposterous and ridiculous to rip into people who post pictures of keep and stringed fish SO LONG AS IT COINCIDES WITH THE REGULATIONS.

If you guys want to be able to rip said posts to pieces and feel good about yourselves, a POLICY IS IN ORDER.

Its only fair for new members... and everyone to be on the same page. If you don't want to make a FORUM RULE/POLICY, then ITS NOT FAIR TO TEAR APPART POSTS regarding keep and stringers.

Thanks.

GT.
ps. despite what you may think about me, I am 99% CandR. I'll keep one or two a year for some completely natural roe and good eat.. nothing goes to waste. I am all for sustaining and improving the steel and salmon populations!

Agree - Catch&Release and Catch&Keep are both part of the sport, as long as it's done within the regulations. Personally not a fan of catch&keep despite what many people think about Asians. One thing that does tick me off about catch and keep are those who go everyday and taking the limit every day, but that's something we need to take up with MNR, not individuals who can give half a crap about what we say.

Reason why I don't post and add pictures anymore. I see too many people get ripped apart for pictures with backgrounds and the way they handle fish. Just got to continue making plans on the open forum to increase my post count.

#6 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

I have no problem with seeing fish on a stringer and I believe I said nice fish and it was his right to keep fish. I also added they look better swimming away, witch is true IMO. I just dont see the problem with snapping a picture of a fish while your fighting it especilly when there are no facts if the fish was over played or not. Guess just dont assume you know the story by looking at a picture. Don't judge a book by its cover? No if he had 20 minute video where he over excerts a fish, then yah call him out on it.

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

catch and keep is perfectly fine in my books, i just hate seeing people get ripped apart over a picture! i mean i've seen numerous pictures on here where the person is fighting the fish, and even some videos, long as the fish swims away healthy, or they take it home for dinner, they shouldn't get knocked for it.

and the thing with backgrounds i personally think is a little rediculous, i mean if you can recognize a single pool just by the background, they likely knew there were fish there to begin with, i mean there's thousands of KM's of rivers and creeks with shorelines that look similar, yes, the fish and/or the angler is the focus, but the background is what makes the pic

#8 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

catch and keep is perfectly fine in my books, i just hate seeing people get ripped apart over a picture! i mean i've seen numerous pictures on here where the person is fighting the fish, and even some videos, long as the fish swims away healthy, or they take it home for dinner, they shouldn't get knocked for it.

and the thing with backgrounds i personally think is a little rediculous, i mean if you can recognize a single pool just by the background, they likely knew there were fish there to begin with, i mean there's thousands of KM's of rivers and creeks with shorelines that look similar, yes, the fish and/or the angler is the focus, but the background is what makes the pic

×2 you know the background because you have been there before..someone that hasnt been to a spot isnt going to know its there from a picture.

#9 dsukh

dsukh

Sunfish

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

Agree, might as well bring out a sketch book and draw your fish instead so NOBODY can recognize the riffles in the water. Why bother even taking a picture of the fish with the background if you plan on blacking out the background anyways when you share it. Next time people should bring a towel, submerge it under water with a few rocks ontop to make sure the towel doesn't drift downstream, pull the fish towards the towel (making sure the fish does NOT touch the towel or it may remove the fish's natural protective slim) before taking the picture. People may be able to recognize the rocks, but they wont be able to recognize your towel.

#10 fishernick

fishernick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

So a couple of things,
I think the pictures debate has already been done to death with the poll and new rules, so may as well drop it for now.
I think that before EVERYONE posts anything they need to keep in mind that all comments should be educational and respectful. If you can't learn anything from it and its just going to start a online brawl then don't bother posting it. The purpose of this forums is to educate other anglers about the sport and encourage growth for everyone. So let's make sure every comment does that.
So can't we all stop pointing fingers and get along......do we need to hug this out?

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Agree about blacking out background of pic. I mean, it all came down to this. I understand not naming the trib but censoring the background is a little over the top. Is there really a "sacred pool" that only one person and him alone knows it?

#12 dsukh

dsukh

Sunfish

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

Catch of the day
Posted Image

#13 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

If someone posts a picture showing 2 entire sports license limits of walleye on a stringer no one would be complaining, but once someone posts a picture showing 3 steelhead on a stringer, there'll be all sorts of complaints to the point where insults are thrown. lol. I know steelhead on a stringer can be a painful sight to see, but if it's within legal limits we shouldn't be complaining. It's possible for the forum to adopt a policy like the one seen on floatfishing.net where pics of dead or mishandled fish aren't allowed.

#14 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Catch of the day
Posted Image

Lmao. I hope u released it unharmed. Lol

#15 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

next time someone posts a pic.make sure you're holding the fish correctly, flash your license so we know you're within your limit and make sure you're holding the day's newspaper so we know you're targeting fish of season.

#16 Guest_DriftNinja_*

Guest_DriftNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

"If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen"

When you post pictures up on an INTERNET forum, be prepared for criticism... If you get all sore about comments made online by individuals you don't even know, you have other issues to be worried about.
What cracks me up is that most of these individuals post up pictures so that they can show their angling prowess.. but once someone questions there conservation methods, it's automatically an "attack"..

If someone with more experience offers advice or even points out certain aspects of your angling that could use improvement, listen and learn... Most of you are still noobs to this sport, so learning and understanding should be paramount.

#17 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

hahah

#18 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Catch of the day
Posted Image

You are worst fishermen i have ever seen!!!
How could you keep that fish upside down like that you are bad man :)

#19 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

What can be posted? and what can't? IT IS LEGAL TO CATCH AND KEEP.

Its only fair for new members... and everyone to be on the same page.

Thanks.

GT.

So my question is: Who and what gives you right to question my or anybody else fishing ethics? O i see you deleted comments on my pics. post nice going.

#20 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'm agnostic but this one is good:

Anyone who has no sin in their life should step forward and throw the first stone!