• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Just to add up big+ for those rods is that they are both extra light so after long day fishing they don't dislocate your shoulder :)

#22 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Not sure if you're aware this pic is in negative?

yes, i did not want the back ground to really be in it. it was so you can just see the rod.

#23 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

I have Shimano Clarus 13" and Streamside Steelhead Special Edition 13" and they are excellent rods for the money.
Shimano $100.00
Streamside 120.00

Streamside is better for winter time because of over sized rings as far handling fish.Somebody said that that Shimano does not have backbone, well i was taking 28-30 lb chinooks with no problem yes it may take it bit longer to land them but for steelhed they are perfect.

How many pieces is your clarus. cause one was an excellent rod, built on gloomis. and the new one with more pieces is the too whippy one. maybe that is our misunderstanding.

Also yes you can land big fish, but other people have to wait 30 minutes for you to do so and waste half their fishing day lol. i find taking too long on a fish is disrespectful to other fishermen and not good for the fish.

#24 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

How many pieces is your clarus. cause one was an excellent rod, built on gloomis. and the new one with more pieces is the too whippy one. maybe that is our misunderstanding.

Also yes you can land big fish, but other people have to wait 30 minutes for you to do so and waste half their fishing day lol. i find taking too long on a fish is disrespectful to other fishermen and not good for the fish.

Clarus is 4 piece not whippy at all ,actulay i find that Streamside is more whippy then Clarus .
Well as for taking 30 min to take fish out you are right but i use samll leader 4lb. so after couple minutes of playing with the beast i just break off, i also use barbless hooks just a little of jig and fish comes off and runs free unharmed.I'm talking about salmon here but for steelhead under 10lb it does not take long time to land at all.

#25 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Clarus is 4 piece not whippy at all ,actulay i find that Streamside is more whippy then Clarus .
Well as for taking 30 min to take fish out you are right but i use samll leader 4lb. so after couple minutes of playing with the beast i just break off, i also use barbless hooks just a little of jig and fish comes off and runs free unharmed.I'm talking about salmon here but for steelhead under 10lb it does not take long time to land at all.

he is starting his CP experience with salmon in august. he is preparing for everything. and yes i agree with you on soft rod and light leader. but not for salmon, not fun on cp reel., specially if you are new to it. gets boring and annoying after a while in my personal experience.

#26 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

he is starting his CP experience with salmon in august. he is preparing for everything. and yes i agree with you on soft rod and light leader. but not for salmon, not fun on cp reel., specially if you are new to it. gets boring and annoying after a while in my personal experience.

Different story then, i like all types of fishing and nothing is annoying for me. And i have to agree with you when people hug up the poool with they CP.'s for half and hour trying to land the fish. I don't go where the crowd is there is certain spots in Ontario where me and my brother go for couple days for salmon fishing and i do use CP and sometimes fly fishing setup. As far lakes and spoons that is different story now.

#27 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Who is starting his CP experience in August? CatFish?

#28 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Who is starting his CP experience in August? CatFish?

You like fishing and respect fishing and take it as the ultimate challenge, which explains your 4lb leader on salmon. but as a new person, he will want to land a lot and gain some confidence, learning experience and enjoyment out of it. snapping salmon after salmon on 4lb is very frustrating, more so cause the salmon seldom hit. and if you snag them in the tail, definitely good luck lol.

I started salmon fishing with 4.5 raven leader and i learned the hard way, but my rod was ultra light with very slow tip and i landed a few after 30 minutes within few years, and that was not even CP reel, it was a spinning reel.

losing a fish to some one new to that type of fishing is not same as lost fish to someone that has caught 50, unless it was a unique or trophy fish. personally i have not fished for salmon over 10 years. I will this year, cause now i have a mission to cure roe as good as AS, if not, at least plump and clear with the red dots in it. so i need roe lol.

Yes, CatFish is starting his journey.

#29 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

You like fishing and respect fishing and take it as the ultimate challenge, which explains your 4lb leader on salmon. but as a new person, he will want to land a lot and gain some confidence, learning experience and enjoyment out of it. snapping salmon after salmon on 4lb is very frustrating, more so cause the salmon seldom hit. and if you snag them in the tail, definitely good luck lol.

I started salmon fishing with 4.5 raven leader and i learned the hard way, but my rod was ultra light with very slow tip and i landed a few after 30 minutes within few years, and that was not even CP reel, it was a spinning reel.

losing a fish to some one new to that type of fishing is not same as lost fish to someone that has caught 50, unless it was a unique or trophy fish. personally i have not fished for salmon over 10 years. I will this year, cause now i have a mission to cure roe as good as AS, if not, at least plump and clear with the red dots in it. so i need roe lol.

Yes, CatFish is starting his journey.

Agreed and yes you are absolutely right! Well good luck to him i wish he gets the big ones. He will have alot of fun when he gets his first torpedo :)
I still remember my firs, don't we all ;)

#30 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Talking about roe i have best recipe for curing roe! I will PM you. Got to work now. hahaha

#31 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Agreed and yes you are absolutely right! Well good luck to him i wish he gets the big ones. He will have alot of fun when he gets his first torpedo :)
I still remember my firs, don't we all ;)

Hopefully he doesn't experience the "knuckle buster." lol

I remember my first time hooking a chinny with on a pin, my left hand was sore for days.

#32 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

I've told him few times before. not a best idea to fish for salmon with a cp. even if you are a veteran. unless you really want to challenge yourself. chances of legit salmon in the mouth in the corner is low enough. one drift and a hook will be in a body or tail. then his hands are done for. specially if he touches the line on the spool as it spins lol OH he will rip lot of skin off his hands :) 8 years ago, we were fishing for fall trout, and a salmon hit. was not fun. at least it snapped the line lol

#33 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Talking about roe i have best recipe for curing roe! I will PM you. Got to work now. hahaha

thanks, pm me your recipe.

#34 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

salmon arent that hard on a CP. Sometimes you get the super hot fish that you dont stand a chance with but I landed quite a few salmon this season in less than 5 minutes on a 4-8lb 13'4 rod. RIGHT IN THE MOUF!

#35 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

salmon arent that hard on a CP. Sometimes you get the super hot fish that you dont stand a chance with but I landed quite a few salmon this season in less than 5 minutes on a 4-8lb 13'4 rod. RIGHT IN THE MOUF!

yes half dead black salmon with white spots are easy in hot day in shallow water :) you got lucky in the mouf, he wont be as lucky all the time lol. and you are probably a veteran cpiner, he is starting cp...

#36 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Posted Image

#37 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

i know, i am just trying to be political :)

#38 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

[/b]

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Floss like a Boss brother!!

#39 Majstor

Majstor