#1 thebigchombowombocombo

thebigchombowombocombo

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

Went fishing with some friends.

I threw a sucker in there for fun =D

All caught on worms, had minnows but weren't biting.

Side note:There is so much moss/weed right now D=
Anyone have any ideas how to handle it? Every drift seems to get a handful of moss lol and lessens the chances of a bite.

Attached Images

• 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 1.jpg

#2 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

Moss/weed on the Niagara is a common occurrence, happens every year ( in june ), it should be gone/settled down by mid july. It is a little worst this year because of the late thaw. Hence why it is around a little later this year.  

But don't worry the Niagara will be back to all of it's glory by mid/ late july.

cheers

#3 thebigchombowombocombo

thebigchombowombocombo

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Ok thanks for the advice!

#4 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Very healthy looking bass. Great

#5 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

I'm gonna try the whirlpool for bass sometime this summer. How deep did you set your float and how deep was the water, if you know?

#6 thebigchombowombocombo

thebigchombowombocombo

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

I'm gonna try the whirlpool for bass sometime this summer. How deep did you set your float and how deep was the water, if you know?

It was shallow and there was a deep drop off of maybe 10-15 feet. Saw some bass crusiing around mid depth so thats what i set the drift to.

#7 JordanMcK

JordanMcK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

What is the bass fishing like at the whirlpool?.. Anybody ever fish it during the summertime (for anything other than carp..) ???

#8 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

What is the bass fishing like at the whirlpool?.. Anybody ever fish it during the summertime (for anything other than carp..) ???

Bass at the whirlpool is very much hit and miss, you are better off further down river near the boat lauch at queenston ;).

#9 thebigchombowombocombo

thebigchombowombocombo

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Ive only went to the whirlpool once and caught nothing... lost around $20 of tackle for it too loool
Ive caught more and have had less snags at queenston =D

#10 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

I am not saying you wont catch bass, it's just it is a big body of water with limited areas to fish so If you are in one spot all the fishing could be somewhere not accessible by foot.

That being said I have caught VERY large smallies down there!  Your best bet is fish as close to the mouth of the river where it is heading out, the point there has very good potential.  I also find that you better chances very early morning ( 4:30 through to 9:00 am ). especially during the summer.

One big issue is how the river is regulated early morning when power demand is lower the flow is slower as the day goes on and power needs go up they increase the flow, I can see it! I have been standing by a 6 foot rock and 1-2hrs later the rock is submerged! So these conditions effect fishing greatly.

( this is why you should always be aware of the water around you, you could be standing on a rock and 20 mins later you get cut off shore by water around you ) ALWAYS BE VERY CAREFUL DOWN THERE!! I cant say that enough about the lower.

Even if you don't catch anything you are always learning in the lower... not a bad thing, plus the views are awesome. Down by the glen and pebble beach the hike down is very enjoyable and again awesome scenery

If you have any questions about the Niagara river .PM me I fish that river ( lower and upper a lot ).

cheers

#11 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

Bass at the whirlpool is very much hit and miss, you are better off further down river near the boat lauch at queenston ;).

Thanks! Will try queenston sometime this summer, just gotta find the time.

#12 JordanMcK

JordanMcK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the heads up Bow_Man! Unfortunately I don't have a boat or watercraft, so do you think fishing around the Queenston docks from shore would be any good around this time of the year? Any info/help would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you don't wish to publicly share any info.

Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bass, Niagara, fishing, lower niagara, small mouth