• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bambam

bambam

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

HI, I've just started to get into musky fishing and bought some big ole baits but the medium action rods I have just can't do the job casting these suckers. Could someone help me in what I should be looking for in a musky rod and reel setup. I'm not a fan of bait caster so leave those out please. I've been trying to find something at Canadian Tire for fairly cheap so any advice would be great. Biggest thing I want help with is the reel. Also, Keep in mind I'm on a budget so something kinda cheap that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice in advance.

#2 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:40 AM

To be honest, Baitcasters are the way to go because they are able to horse the musky in so you can quickly take your photo and let them go without harming them. As well as some other very important reasons. If you truly are not able to get used to a Baitcaster. Get yourself a PENN Spinning reel for 69.99 and it can handle the musky very well. The rod depends on the baits you throw. Again, if you are using big baits like a bulldog, you wont be able to throw them on a spinning set up. What baits did you buy? I would have to know to be able to help you out.

#3 bambam

bambam

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

I've tried baitcasters and like you said, I just can't get use to them. Thanks for the advice on the reel. Baits I've bought so far are some various bulldogs, some wooden baits, some 8 and 10inch cranks and some large spinners. I actually got my first musky today just a small guy though.

Attached Images

• musky.jpg

#4 Toha1979

Toha1979

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

Most of big musky lures, except for bulldogs, would requite an up-to 3-4 OZ rod. I haven't seen any of those at Canadian Tire. There are a few cudgels there, but I don't imagine them to be suitable for casting, forget this.  Bass Pro at Vaughan Mills has a few Muskie stalls and there are couple pretty cheap rods (up to 49.99) pretty short and allowing required lure weight. The next option there is Muskie Angler staring at 139.99. It's much lighter so you would feel the difference. I bought one and tried - works great. 

For Bulldogs you have to go with 3-8 OZ choices. I havent seen anything ccheap in this category around. JB fishing depot is probably the best place I've found here  if you still want to spend on a exttra heavy rod :)

Reels - true, you need a baitcast for heavy jerkbaits. I've just bought Abu GArcia Ambasadeur SX for 89.99 or so - trial run went excellent. If you don't want to deal with casting reels,  I guess you can compromise using spoons, spinner baits and lightweight jerkbaits with some appropriate class spinning rod..Not a classic approach, but will also work..

I am still sure one day  you will end up spending 200+ bucks on the right musky setup if you plan some regular fishing multiple seasons. It will open you much wider opportunities...

#5 bambam

bambam

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for all the advice and your probably right Toha about me spending more on a good setup. Why I asked for some help. I believe I will save up a little more now for a better musky setup. Thanks again.

#6 Hank Jr

Hank Jr

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

Don't give up on the bait casters it is what you need for Muskies and bigger lures also good line and leaders . I started my grandkids out on spinning rods but now they all can use bait casters . Still get a backlash now and then but they are getting better. Good luck

#7 navairum

navairum

Sunfish

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

Gotta have dem baitcasters ;)  I'm an abu fan myself with a 6500.   Also for a great musky rod (on a budget) check out TackleIndustries - some friends and I have their rods and they are fantastic.

#8 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:14 AM

Don't let other scare you away. You can catch muskies on spinning reels. You just need to find reels with a bit more torque to do the job.

If you are short on money, check out the Fin-Nor Lethal 100. Alan Hawk highly recommend it. It's a huge reel...big enough for vertical jigging amberjacks and even light popping for tunas. Muskies...it'll be a walk in the park. Check out the review here.

http://www.alanhawk....iews/lth10.html

Only the 100 size is built robust. The other sizes are "less than desire".

If that reel is too heavy, consider an older model Shimano Spheros 6000 (not the new SP6000SW which is more money). Again, Spheros can handle some vertical jigging for amberjacks and kingfish. It'll be no issue with muskies.

Heck, even the old Penn Slammers or Penn Spinfisher in 4500 size will do the job. You don't need huge capacity...muskies don't pull to much line.

I'm catching muskies on a Shimano Baitrunner 4500...a reel good enough to handle a 200lb nurse shark...muskies? LOL.

#9 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:50 AM

Don't let other scare you away. You can catch muskies on spinning reels. You just need to find reels with a bit more torque to do the job.

If you are short on money, check out the Fin-Nor Lethal 100. Alan Hawk highly recommend it. It's a huge reel...big enough for vertical jigging amberjacks and even light popping for tunas. Muskies...it'll be a walk in the park. Check out the review here.

http://www.alanhawk....iews/lth10.html

Only the 100 size is built robust. The other sizes are "less than desire".

If that reel is too heavy, consider an older model Shimano Spheros 6000 (not the new SP6000SW which is more money). Again, Spheros can handle some vertical jigging for amberjacks and kingfish. It'll be no issue with muskies.

Heck, even the old Penn Slammers or Penn Spinfisher in 4500 size will do the job. You don't need huge capacity...muskies don't pull to much line.

I'm catching muskies on a Shimano Baitrunner 4500...a reel good enough to handle a 200lb nurse shark...muskies? LOL.

Nobody is scaring anyone away from musky fishing without baitcasters, just giving opinions :). Personally I recommend a Penn reel to anyone looking at fishing for muskie without the proper baitcast set up. Rod wise I am unsure off hand what rods do the trick just depends on what you throw. If I ever fish for muskie I like to stick with bladed baits and just burn them back to the boat.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: musky setup, musky