• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fathom

fathom

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

Milling about Christies Conservation today - I have been here around six times in the last month and haven't caught much directly from shore.  I explored the west end around the granular bridge and as I was poking around I noticed a lot of dead carp lining the shores. 

Something is indeed fishy in the waters here... 

20140819-173247.jpg

#2 navairum

navairum

Sunfish

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

Here's my Christie lake story:

Went fishing there with a friend from hamilton and was  throwing a little 1.5" pink/silver crank right outside a drain pipe and a decent sized pike came and took my lure.  Fast forward 1 year I walk back to the same spot and the water was way down, i saw something pink on a log and it was my lure!

I couldn't believe it haha

Caught some nice bass outta there last year.  Christie and Valens seem to both have very hungry turtles too..

Something strange with the dead carp too...

#3 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

could you see any wounds on the carp?  dont see any from the pic you posted, but its possible that people were bowfishing for them.  Some bowfishers can be quite wasteful and misinformed.  not all tho, for sure. 

If they werent shot, then Im not sure how they died, those fish can survive some pretty shitty conditions.

#4 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

Christie lake is more less a large swamp, with the temperatures being fairly high the last few weeks and no real rain fall, the lake has most likely had an algae bloom of some type that use's the oxygen in the water, could also be some kind of run off from farmers fields, i know they had been spraying the soy beans just a few weeks ago...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: christie, conservation, carp, dead