• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Morettz

Morettz

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:56 AM

looking to go ice fishing for the first time. looking to head up to lake simcoe. where would i best be accomodated and what do i need to know for ice fishing such as bait rod and reel and line. any bit of advice helps. never been ice fishing before.

#2 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:46 AM

Are you going to go for perch? Since its your first time i'm assuming you dont have any electronics (sonar) so perch fishing will be your best bet. Just use small pinhead minnows on a panfish jig and run two rods. If you arent getting any action you can try throwing on a spoon or a lipless crank bait to call fish in to your area. they will be in anywhere from 10-40'. If you dont get anything for a while pick up and move, it can take a bunch of moves but once you find them it is worth it. Below is a link to the lake simcoe depth chart, cooks bay and georgina are the popular places to go for perching.

Also if you have an iPhone or an Android and dont mind spending 16 bucks the navionics app is the most valuable tool you can have next to a sonar. It combines the depth charts with GPS on your phone and tells you how deep you are before you punch a hole.

http://www.fishingla...pth-chart.html 

#3 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

looking to go ice fishing for the first time. looking to head up to lake simcoe. where would i best be accomodated and what do i need to know for ice fishing such as bait rod and reel and line. any bit of advice helps. never been ice fishing before.

On the west side of Simcoe I've used Lucky Sons hut rentals - they deliver pizza at lunch time. 

On the east side (Pefferlaw, Beaverton area) I recommend Floyd Hales and Steves Fish Huts.

Some places have rods you can use for $10 but better call ahead to make sure.  You can have 2 rods per person.  

#4 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

Oh yea...make sure your license is up to date!  I run into the MNR every weekend when renting huts!

#5 Basschaser

Basschaser

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

If it is you first time, you will probably not have an auger. While ice rod and reel combos can be had for about $20, you'll be spending $70 or more for an auger. I suggest you go with one of the ice hut operators who can supply you with everything (equipment, bait and transportation out to a comfy heated hut) and will put you onto fish. I recommend Family Ice Cabins, the owner Dave is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and his rates are very reasonable. I think around $40 a person for the day.

#6 ElectronICE

ElectronICE

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:19 PM

When does Lake Simcoe usually freezes up enough for ice fishing. New to the area.

#7 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

Hopefully we will be perching around Christmas time at Cooks Bay. Fingers crossed.

#8 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:27 AM

i love crushing some perch up there early in the season. best lure for me is a tiny brown/red shrimp imitation on a jighead. once the fish are in the area.

on my second rod a small rattling jig with bright colors to call in the schools or get a couple of fatties

i started with a crappy tire augur and a bucket. carried my rods and bait in the bucket and some tackle in a backpack.

since then i got a flasher, more junk for the tackle box and some comfort goods like a heater/chair/tent.

best piece of gear hands down is a good sled. makes moving to and from much easier.

a good tip is to get a cheap yoga mat or some foam liner and put it at the bottom of your hut or below your boots if you are outside. its amazing how much warmer your feet stay if they arent on contact with the ice all day.

and something about warm feet makes everything else seem easier :)

also if you use your bucket as a chair like a lot of people do, instead of your bait in the bucket, drill a shallow half-hole beside your fishing hole and fill it with water keep minnows in there. a lot easier to  grab em and keep en eye on em. and it wont freeze over if you are in a hut. outside probably a bad idea lol

a friend of mine showed me a cool trick. got big spoons the same color as perch, no hooks. starts aggressively jigging them and other perch get interested thinking theres some feeding they are missing ;)

would literally turn the flasher from nothing to marks everywhere within a couple of minutes.

cheers bud

edit: that feeling of just noticing i replied to a old-thread ;)

#9 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

For perch I just love to ring the dinner bell with good old chum.

#10 Morettz

Morettz

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:17 PM

For perch I just love to ring the dinner bell with good old chum.

What o you chum with?

#11 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:15 AM

i love crushing some perch up there early in the season. best lure for me is a tiny brown/red shrimp imitation on a jighead. once the fish are in the area.

on my second rod a small rattling jig with bright colors to call in the schools or get a couple of fatties

i started with a crappy tire augur and a bucket. carried my rods and bait in the bucket and some tackle in a backpack.

since then i got a flasher, more junk for the tackle box and some comfort goods like a heater/chair/tent.

best piece of gear hands down is a good sled. makes moving to and from much easier.

a good tip is to get a cheap yoga mat or some foam liner and put it at the bottom of your hut or below your boots if you are outside. its amazing how much warmer your feet stay if they arent on contact with the ice all day.

and something about warm feet makes everything else seem easier :)

also if you use your bucket as a chair like a lot of people do, instead of your bait in the bucket, drill a shallow half-hole beside your fishing hole and fill it with water keep minnows in there. a lot easier to  grab em and keep en eye on em. and it wont freeze over if you are in a hut. outside probably a bad idea lol

a friend of mine showed me a cool trick. got big spoons the same color as perch, no hooks. starts aggressively jigging them and other perch get interested thinking theres some feeding they are missing ;)

would literally turn the flasher from nothing to marks everywhere within a couple of minutes.

cheers bud

edit: that feeling of just noticing i replied to a old-thread ;)

Yoga mats! I have a few of those already. Thank you for the advice!  I will also try the half drilled hole for minnows :)

#12 Legend Boats

Legend Boats

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:13 PM

Simcoe is always a tough body of water to predict. In the past 5 years, there have been times when I've been out on the ice for January 1st for Laker opener, and other years when its well into late February before the ice is safe enough to venture out. It is imperative to take precautions and make the effort to check with your local ice hut operators, tackle/bait shops and on local message boards for the most current up-to-date information. Always air on the side of caution and be prepared! Cheers Beck-Legend Boats

#13 CWebNation

CWebNation

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:11 PM

Great thread folks!
I've recently moved back to ON (see "Hello Haliburton & Area") and am getting back into hardcore ice fishing. I'm all set tackle wise with a new Clam. Wondering what areas and depths of Simcoe I want to visit to experience the world class Perch bite?

#14 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:31 PM

Great thread folks!
I've recently moved back to ON (see "Hello Haliburton & Area") and am getting back into hardcore ice fishing. I'm all set tackle wise with a new Clam. Wondering what areas and depths of Simcoe I want to visit to experience the world class Perch bite?

Hi CWN

You'll find perch anywhere from 10-40fow.

Cant wait :D

#15 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:19 PM

I had a great time last winter fishing there for perch. The cabin rental places generally have very large holes cut in the ice, so we were able to sight fish for the perch with small jigs and plastics. I found that the best baits to use were the Gulp single salmon eggs that come in the jar of liquid. I think the scent really helps. We were rigging them on a drop shot rig using 4lb mono. 

#16 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

Best bait for us has always been the tiny Williams for perch with a minnow head on it. Had 200 fish days last year with the three of us in the portable.

#17 CWebNation

CWebNation

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to grab some. I've always done well with Swedish Pimples and Rattle Spoons but there's no point fighting the local trend! I'm out the to catch fish after all...

#18 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:51 PM

I didn't say this but .........try Slab Grabbers they work wonders.

#19 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

If using slab grabbers use a swivel...lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ice fishing, lake simcoe, simcoe, pike