• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Paulie

Paulie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

Need some help here. Can't decide on which rod to get. The BPS Carbonlite or the Abu Garcia Veritas. From everything I've read it seems people are split down the middle on preference. Anyone own both or have a preference? And why? Thanks!

#2 flowerjohn

flowerjohn

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:05 PM

Never used the bps i have two agvs. They work great Mine both went from bright white to antique white in a couple of seasons. They still work great. Cheers.

#3 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

I have both and the carbonlite just feels so cheap because it is super light. Having said that, it only "feels" cheap, I have no complaints on performance.

#4 Paulie

Paulie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the input! I tried both rods the other day and both feel amazing. The Carbonlite is a little bit lighter but the Veritas is less expensive ($109 vs. $79). I'm gonna go with the Veritas. Abu rods have yet to let me down so far.

#5 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for the input! I tried both rods the other day and both feel amazing. The Carbonlite is a little bit lighter but the Veritas is less expensive ($109 vs. $79). I'm gonna go with the Veritas. Abu rods have yet to let me down so far.

Truthfully what I like about the BPS stuff is that if something did happen to it, go back to the store and just say hey replace this. No questions on BPS products for returns and no shipping. I like what BPS has done to the new carbonlites and I personally don't think they feel cheap either. The 79$ Veritas you refer to must be the older model not the new 2.0's unless you found them cheap somewhere. They are the same prices practically. I think they are both solid rods but for the preference if I had to choose I would actually choose the BPS rods. Also like the handles better!

#6 Paulie

Paulie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:26 AM

Sail has the Veritas for regular price $79.99-$84.99. I believe it's the 2.0 but they don't actually say it.

The site says "Welcome to the next level. The updated Veritas series continues the tradition of lightweight design and superior sensitivity with a renewed focus on strength. By developing a Spiral Core Construction process with our 30 Ton graphite blanks, our engineers were able to significantly improve break strength without increasing weight. Overall break strength improved an average of 22% while tip strength increased by over 30%."

Sounds like the 2.0 to me but check it out at sail.ca

#7 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:56 AM

The new ones actually say 2.0 on them. Sail carries both new and old models. Honestly the older ones are still solid. The first gen that they made of them were really iffy. Lots of back bone breaking on them but then the remade it and they were fine. Now they just have the new 2.0 which have a new reel seat screw lock in.

#8 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:21 PM

I have a Medium-Heavy 2-piece Veritas Baitcasting rod with a Shimano Caius 201 on there, and I have a Medium 2-piece Veritas Spinning rod with a Stradic FJ 3000 on there.

While I really like both, the rod guides on my spinning rod cracked on the first bass (8.6 lber) that I caught, that being said after a quick email to Abu Garcia, they sent me a replacement rod free of charge which was pretty awesome. No other complaints since, as both rods have performed very well and i've had them both for more than 2 years now. Largest Pike I've caught on that baitcaster was 15+ lbs and over 40", rod was bent like a Mother-F'er, rippin drag like an S.O.B. but I was still able to turn the fish and play it without worry of the rod of exploding.

As AlwaysCatching pointed out, my rods are First Gen. Second Gen rods are a little nicer. My buddy has a St. Croix rod, and while it is considerably nicer in a lot of ways, I'm still partial to the feel of the Veritas rods.

#9 Paulie

Paulie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

That's the one I'm looking to get, 6'6 or 7' MH 2 piece Veritas. But I don't think I'll have any problems with an 8.6lb bass...WTF!! I've never come close to that, that's massive! Did you get that here or down south somewhere??

#10 Paulie

Paulie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:44 PM

It's the 2.0 and they're going on sale on Wednesday. 15% off. Score!

Attached Images

• image.jpg

#11 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:58 PM

they match your shoes

#12 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:24 PM

That's a good price, I may pick another one up...