39 replies to this topic

#1 CampVibes

CampVibes

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:39 PM

Hey guys,

I have had some trouble this fall finding some steelhead/browns, I've been east will little luck. Was wondering if there has been any luck as of lately around these areas or if there are other locations I should give a try? 

#2 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:51 PM

Firstly. Let's get rid of the trib names to start.

#3 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:52 PM

Secondly. When are you fishing. What are you using. .. Roe sacks. Beads , flies?...

Where are you fishing ?? Slow pools ...fast water ??

#4 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:16 AM

all of those areas you (shouldnt) have named are producing fish.

its probably the method you are choosing to use or something you arent doing right. 

please give us more details about what youre doing and we can better help

#5 James5354

James5354

Sunfish

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:46 PM

its been a slow year for all the east tribs, go fish up north.

#6 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

There are fish being caught but not a lot. You could likely be using the right set up but drifting by water with no fish will always give same result. We need some water and some colour. Boys and I walk over 30k of creek between three east tribs and saw very few fish and maybe ten caught. We managed to hook up on a few nice ones but nothing caught over a pound. Really hoping for some rain.

#7 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:34 PM

Faster water try beads, go small with a 6mm or 8 mm max. 1 bead with an 18"-24", 4 or 5 lb leader. Slower moving water try roe bags with 2 or 3 salmon eggs. I have been having a real good year with these methods. My biggest fish have come on the smallest of baits. Got a few 10+ lbs so far...

#8 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:49 PM

Firstly. Let's get rid of the trib names to start.

Come on dude, everyone knows about those rivers. He did not say i got 10 steelheads at this river under 401 bridge.

#9 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

It's been slow for everyone out here, but there are fish.  You really have to put in the time to get your fill.

#10 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

It's been slow for everyone out here, but there are fish.  You really have to put in the time to get your fill.

Time is the key I'm out all day every Sunday. First light is best in my opinion. I'll know if they are there and if it's gonna be a good day or not within the first 10 drifts.. Longer on the water......better your chances are

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

I don't really worry about naming threads to be honest. It's the few people who use illegal methods when fishing those areas the bugs me all the time...

#12 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

Time is the key I'm out all day every Sunday. First light is best in my opinion. I'll know if they are there and if it's gonna be a good day or not within the first 10 drifts.. Longer on the water......better your chances are

This is my general rule too but it feels a bit different this year.  As in, you can drift the same pool starting at first light and might not hit your first fish until after 8 (common in the dead of winter, i know, but not with these temps).

#13 floss_boss

floss_boss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:16 PM

Learn to fish few spots, know all the depths and snags on few bends; this will put you above most of the anglers and  then you will succeed.

Jumping to other creeks will put you back to square 1 fishing new water.

Change the baits; using roe or pink worm after a guy who did the same for the last 2 hours, will not cut it.

Try minnows and worms.

I was fishing east trib last friday and landed 3 fish with few lost, only because i stayed away from using roe, while guys next to me kept putting fresh sacks and praying for miracle.

#14 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

Learn to fish few spots, know all the depths and snags on few bends; this will put you above most of the anglers and  then you will succeed.

Jumping to other creeks will put you back to square 1 fishing new water.

Change the baits; using roe or pink worm after a guy who did the same for the last 2 hours, will not cut it.

Try minnows and worms.

I was fishing east trib last friday and landed 3 fish with few lost, only because i stayed away from using roe, while guys next to me kept putting fresh sacks and praying for miracle.

Couldnt agree more.  It's common for me to hit a fish on my first drift after no luck with a roe bag.  I have witnessed guys floating roe continuously for a few hours and eventually get a hit, but god dam.

#15 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:47 PM

Couldnt agree more.  It's common for me to hit a fish on my first drift after no luck with a roe bag.  I have witnessed guys floating roe continuously for a few hours and eventually get a hit, but god dam.

not my style either. If i'm on a big pool with mostly bead-guys...I will throw in an odd roe and get a hit...then...say my goodlucks and move out...hit n run...there will always be that one guy who won't take his line out while you're fighing fish...I got a hit from a rapala jointed husky jerk size 7 last saturday and managed to land a steel...6lb mono main. not the ideal line test but I was targeting small browns...

#16 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

not my style either. If i'm on a big pool with mostly bead-guys...I will throw in an odd roe and get a hit...then...say my goodlucks and move out...hit n run...there will always be that one guy who won't take his line out while you're fighing fish...I got a hit from a rapala jointed husky jerk size 7 last saturday and managed to land a steel...6lb mono main. not the ideal line test but I was targeting small browns...

i like your style. the dirty d?

#17 James5354

James5354

Sunfish

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

I was at a east trib this past sunday, there was a tournament happening, I talked to guys from pool to pool that were in that tourney and said only 1 or 2 fish landed, I come to one pool and theres like 8 guys drifting roe bags,beads and even one guy tossing spoons with his baitcaster and no hit. Couldnt believe it, 40 guys in that tourney and only 1 or 2 fish landed. this was sometime during noon right before i packed it up and went home.

#18 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:25 PM

I was at a east trib this past sunday, there was a tournament happening, I talked to guys from pool to pool that were in that tourney and said only 1 or 2 fish landed, I come to one pool and theres like 8 guys drifting roe bags,beads and even one guy tossing spoons with his baitcaster and no hit. Couldnt believe it, 40 guys in that tourney and only 1 or 2 fish landed. this was sometime during noon right before i packed it up and went home.

Not that these are inspiring numbers, but it was 40 anglers and 13 fish.

#19 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:32 PM

i like your style. the dirty d?

no the red one.

#20 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:12 PM

Move around, they are there.  Tell us how you're fishing, time of day, etc.   We need more details.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fly Fishing, Fishing, Ontario, Fall, Lake Ontario, Tribs