• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

Well to start I'm not really new to ice fishing at all - just new to ice fishing anywhere outside of Haliburton.

Being that I live in Mississauga, I'm not going up there every time I want to ice fish. I have brand new everything that I am going to hopefully use the heck out of this winter - lets hope she's cold and long.

If anyone is interested in hooking up for some ice fishing, tagging along, taking me along, anything at all I am open to hearing!

I'll be scouting some locations in the next few months, reading up on google and basically doing anything I can to get on fish this winter - if anyone has suggestions feel free to PM me. I don't need sarcastic responses like "Simcoe", I'm not begging for your spots, and if you aren't wanting to share then just stay silent.

I'll mostly be targeting pike and lakers since those are my faves but I'll also be trying to get on some perch, walleye, splake and bows.

I have personally salted a couple pounds of minnows and also asked my wife to buy me a couple pounds from an online retailer.

Lets just say I'm ready! Looking to discuss techniques, general locations and well really anything ice fishing! Jump in on the conversation!

#2 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

Well to start I'm not really new to ice fishing at all - just new to ice fishing anywhere outside of Haliburton.

Being that I live in Mississauga, I'm not going up there every time I want to ice fish. I have brand new everything that I am going to hopefully use the heck out of this winter - lets hope she's cold and long.

If anyone is interested in hooking up for some ice fishing, tagging along, taking me along, anything at all I am open to hearing!

I'll be scouting some locations in the next few months, reading up on google and basically doing anything I can to get on fish this winter - if anyone has suggestions feel free to PM me. I don't need sarcastic responses like "Simcoe", I'm not begging for your spots, and if you aren't wanting to share then just stay silent.

I'll mostly be targeting pike and lakers since those are my faves but I'll also be trying to get on some perch, walleye, splake and bows.

I have personally salted a couple pounds of minnows and also asked my wife to buy me a couple pounds from an online retailer.

Lets just say I'm ready! Looking to discuss techniques, general locations and well really anything ice fishing! Jump in on the conversation!

Awesome post!  

First, what hut are you looking at? Do you have a sled yet?

#3 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:13 PM

I'm more interested on the minnow marinate. I fish soft water all year round.

#4 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

I am from Mississauga as well! I have all the goodies and toys from augers (power and hand) to tents (looking for a new flip this year, have a Clam XL4000T - I love it!)!

I am always open to meeting new people on the ice! I was also looking at trying my luck at fishing a harbor for steel through the ice this year! Send me a PM and perhaps we can setup a few ice fishing memories!

#5 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

I'm more interested on the minnow marinate. I fish soft water all year round.

as in what is my process?

#6 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

Awesome post!  

First, what hut are you looking at? Do you have a sled yet?

WELLL... correct me if you're wrong but you're a rapala lady? you may be the best judge (if not a little biased lol) of the one I literally just picked up on my lunch break. Ink on the receipt is still wet... the 6 man proselect - from crappy tire - is an older model but a brand new 6 man for the price I paid just seemed unbeatable (214+tax)

#7 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:00 PM

I am from Mississauga as well! I have all the goodies and toys from augers (power and hand) to tents (looking for a new flip this year, have a Clam XL4000T - I love it!)!

I am always open to meeting new people on the ice! I was also looking at trying my luck at fishing a harbor for steel through the ice this year! Send me a PM and perhaps we can setup a few ice fishing memories!

All for it!! I'll definitely be sending you a pm in the near future - I don't have much input on spots... yet, but I have experience targeting lakers, splake, bows and specks through the ice. I just need a sled - will buy used - can't justify to myself even a sale price on a new pelican sled - and a couple new ice rods. I cry every day I wake up and the temp is above freezing. Today my eyes were dry.

#8 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

WELLL... correct me if you're wrong but you're a rapala lady? you may be the best judge (if not a little biased lol) of the one I literally just picked up on my lunch break. Ink on the receipt is still wet... the 6 man proselect - from crappy tire - is an older model but a brand new 6 man for the price I paid just seemed unbeatable (214+tax)

If your using a 6 man you will need at least one other person to help you set up everytime you go out!

Just remember the bigger the popup the harder it is to setup (especially in windy conditions!) And when it is setup, make sure to set it in a way to avoid as much wind as possible!

#9 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

If your using a 6 man you will need at least one other person to help you set up everytime you go out!

Just remember the bigger the popup the harder it is to setup (especially in windy conditions!) And when it is setup, make sure to set it in a way to avoid as much wind as possible!

Ya that's no prob - I'll always find someone to go, even if I have to pay someone :)
Nah in all seriousness, I wanted to be prepared for more people rather than less. I grew up ice fishing in no hut in the middle of blizzards in haliburton so I'll even be good with none when I'm solo. I'm a deal hunter too so never know might pick up a dirt cheap small one off kijiji

#10 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

Go for a flip! Im looking at some myself, After using thermal in my "main tent" I have to have thermal as a flip!

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

as in what is my process?

yes sir...i usually fish soft water even in winter. I got my spots dialed in. I'd like to try out minnows.

#12 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

I posted a vid detailing the process - I just discovered pump knows youtube channel... which is gonna make me look like an amateur in comparison lol but you can check it out anyway

youtube.com/livebaitfishing

It's my most recent video

#13 McLean2016

McLean2016

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:23 AM

Good post for sure, I would be careful how many minnows you keep/post online.
Max amount for anyone at any given time is 120, I could care less. I have seen some posts about MNR watching online forums though, so thought I would mention it to be safe.
I'm in Hamilton, and do quite a bit of ice fishing, have all the gear, and also some really productive spots. All walk on spots, and lakes from simcoe and 3hours north, and in between the two.
I mainly fish whities/lakers, but love a good perch feed too.
If you want some suggestions on lakes give me a pm, I have no issue sharing.

#14 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

Yup - I am well aware of the limits, rules and regulations of live bait. Live I usually only keep 6 dozen on hand at all times but I have 96 in the freezer now - if I get over 120 I give them to my brother, sister, mum, dad... well you got the point. My whole family is licensed.

I'm willing to drive anywhere to fish, closer is awesome but I'll go anywhere to get on fish. Appreciate the invite to a message, will be doing so soon :)

#15 FishFinder17

FishFinder17

Sunfish

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

Can you give me more details about the Clam XL4000T? I'm thinking of picking one up before ice hits - will it fit 4 guys comfortably?

Thanks in advance - bring on the ice!

#16 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:03 PM

I saw those advertised in the flyer and I thought it was an incredible deal. You totally scored! I actually thought about buying one myself but I already have 2 huts. lol

#17 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:26 PM

I posted a vid detailing the process - I just discovered pump knows youtube channel... which is gonna make me look like an amateur in comparison lol but you can check it out anyway

youtube.com/livebaitfishing

It's my most recent video

Thanks for the process video.  I'm gonna try live/deadbait for pike next year.

#18 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

Can you give me more details about the Clam XL4000T? I'm thinking of picking one up before ice hits - will it fit 4 guys comfortably?

Thanks in advance - bring on the ice!

What kind of details are you looking for?

It may be a bit tight for 4 people, The most I ever had in mine was 3, which it managed fine, but I like my "oversized" heater in one of the corners!.

That being said, Each person also had 2 holes to themselves, a cozy camp chair to sit in and a minnow bucket foot rest in the middle to share.

For all the specifications, you can find it here:

http://stores.clamou...ot-xl4000t.html

#19 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

I saw those advertised in the flyer and I thought it was an incredible deal. You totally scored! I actually thought about buying one myself but I already have 2 huts. lol

Ya it certainly is - My cheapness was further evidenced by the 20 dollar extra discount I demanded because the box was torn up in 2 places. Lol sometime I don't know when to quit, sometimes it works.

If anyone is interested in either the Oakville Kerr street CT still has the exact auger eskimo shark 8 inch for 50% off as well as the exact hut for 50% still - and a couple extras...

Also talloutdoorsman... there is a frabill trekker 2 man flip for 215 at the islington location - It was a toss up for me between that and the one I got

#20 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

@BearInTheWoods, Thank you for keeping me in mind! It is a great "entry level" flip if anyone is looking to get one, Do you know what the "sale price" is? (nothing listed on the Canadian Tire Website)

I am looking at going "all out" and purchase an Otter Sled for an unnecessary large amount of money that will only be satisfied by my comfort lol.

If someone knows Santa and wants to leave him a note, tell him I am hoping to get the "Otter PRO XT Cabin" for christmas this year!  :mrgreen: