Photo

Can someone tell me what hatch this is and what fly this is?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 grayer

grayer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:02 AM

Hey guys. At one of my local creeks I fish there was a pretty decent hatch going on this evening. I do my best to match whatever is hatching based on hatch charts in my area, but I am not very good at identifying hatches as they happen. One of the mayflies landed on me so I took a picture. I also included a picture of a fly I used early last season that worked pretty well, and when this hatch happened tonight I had fish rising with it. I don't even remember where I got this pattern, but I only have one left. 

Could anyone tell me what this mayfly is, and if you can, identify what fly pattern this is. I want to say its some sort of hendrickson. I also attached a picture of the fish I was targeting in a specific run where I noticed the hatch start!

Cheers, thanks guys!

And yes, I realize the hook is broken on that fly (snagged on a log). Hence, the reason I want to find out what it is lol! 

Attached Images

• 09hXBo_s.jpg
  • 2lR5Nu-U.jpg
  • wR95kQKb.jpg
  • puBgs9K0.jpg

#2 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:12 PM

No 100% but im pretty sure its a hendrickson having 3 tails definitely not a bwo or trico

#3 Bowie

Bowie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

I'm thinking hendrickson as well, nice fish!

#4 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

No 100% but im pretty sure its a hendrickson having 3 tails definitely not a bwo or trico

Yep - the triple tail, massive bug eyes and double wings say Hendrickson.

#5 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:26 AM

question to all you tiers...what do they use for the tail? deer hair? what about the hackle?

1f3a486dc89efdaa1971a720aa4055cf.jpg

#6 grayer

grayer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

Awesome thanks guys! As far as the fly pattern goes. I can't seem to find an hendrickson that would math what I was using on reel flies. And as far as tying myself, im not quite that skilled yet. Only dries I have tied are tan elk hair caddis and griffiths gnat. 

#7 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

Seems to me that earlier in the season (on less pressured systems at least) the fish tend to be less picky. So a generic caddis (elk hair or deer hair, black or tan) and a mayfly pattern in the right size range should do the trick. Some systems do seem to produce pretty picky fish then. That's when you need to get pretty detailed.

#8 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

As for Hendrickson patterns - check out Natural Sports or the shop in Fergus. Either one will have the right size for the given week.

#9 grayer

grayer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

As for Hendrickson patterns - check out Natural Sports or the shop in Fergus. Either one will have the right size for the given week.

Awesome thanks. I'm at natural sports a lot, so ill for sure check out their selection!

#10 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:04 PM

Awesome thanks. I'm at natural sports a lot, so ill for sure check out their selection!

NP. And ask for emergers. If you're fishing "slightly north of natural sports", then emergers seem a lot better than just dries.

#11 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:13 PM

Hendrickson's are slightly different colour in different system. In general, the tail is just hackle in rust or ginger colour and the hackle can be the same as well. In some systems, the tail and wing tends to be lighter while the body is darker...so it can have a light ginger tail/hackle with a cream body. When wet, the cream body can almost look grey.

#12 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

A nice peacock quill body would imitate that mayfly almost exactly add dun microfibbets and a dun hackle and im sure that combination would absolutely kill it

#13 Stenacron books

Stenacron books

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:48 PM

It looks like Paraleptophlebia adoptive, it is far to thin to be Ephemerella subvaria (hendrickson) 

https://www.facebook...49341725077171/

Mack.

#14 Dusty_D

Dusty_D

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:46 AM

You "fly" guys speak a completely different language. Super interesting stuff though!! :)