• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:35 PM

That you're not really into steelhead fishing as you think... rainshadow and streamside are both popular brands

Yeah, he sucks because he doesn't know whats popular, his 30+ years on the river doesn't amount to anything :roll:

#42 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

Yeah, he sucks because he doesn't know whats popular, his 30+ years on the river doesn't amount to anything :roll:

really has nothing to do with how long you've been fishing really. I've been out with seniors for carp and steelheading...you would be amazed at how many rods they have in their arsenal from lamiglass fly rods to the new TFO ones. It's evolution. I don't discount experience in the river but technology has come a long way...and as I said, some of these new rod builders spawned from their old school predecessors. If you go to outdoor shows it's great to look up into new stuff because some turns out to be very useful. I used to vouch for Okuma aventa rods until I got a hold of the Matrix...but happened to purchase a streamside steelheader 4 years ago on sale at Al Flaherty's for $69.90...still using it to this day. I still have my Matrix and still use them but not as much.

#43 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

All I'm saying is he knows steelhead fishing, just because he doesnt know anything RE: current gear doesn't discredit his knowledge of chasing steelhead.  Hes got gray hairs, gotta be careful of those folks more so than the guy decked out with the 2019 Simms Auburn Brown Pro Series Summer line up with the newest Rainshadow 4.5-6.7 lb test, super feather ultra light rated rod with the newest BER Apex Symmetry Upholstery Auxillary Abec 36 center pin reel.

#44 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

All I'm saying is he knows steelhead fishing, just because he doesnt know anything RE: current gear doesn't discredit his knowledge of chasing steelhead.  Hes got gray hairs, gotta be careful of those folks more so than the guy decked out with the 2019 Simms Auburn Brown Pro Series Summer line up with the newest Rainshadow 4.5-6.7 lb test, super feather ultra light rated rod with the newest BER Apex Symmetry Upholstery Auxillary Abec 36 center pin reel.

Lol...i hear you...there's no need fixing something that has worked for 30 years in the river..but having new gears = supporting child labor...c'mon now...

#45 Mike1212

Mike1212

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

Lol...i hear you...there's no need fixing something that has worked for 30 years in the river..but having new gears = supporting child labor...c'mon now...

Basically what I was getting at.. hahaha

#46 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

I've missed alot the last couple days.lol
Thankyou Freek, Trout, Dill .You guys get me. Knowing i love to stir the pot.
Truthfully . Any gear that gets ya out of the house and on the river is great.
44 yrs ago my buddy and his Dad introduced me to the Ganny.Hooked ever since.
I'm just jealous .
Jealous that guys like yourselves and I could never pump out our own rods and gear and survive in todays market.
But thankful there's forums like OFF to meet and talk about the evolution , good or bad of fishing.

#47 Fisherman Dave

Fisherman Dave

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

I was half chirping about the escalation, but the other half of it is this time of year gets everyone fired up. If ice fishing doesn't scratch the itch, which to me it doesn't at all, February (this year January) through March I get cabin fever bad. Some people snap lol. Every 2 days someone in my contact list is msging me about gear or buying something or spring plans so I know others are feeling it too lol, making it even harder. Its dangerous too because if you can't fish the way you like, what else do you do? Buy gear of course, gear you probably don't need anytime soon since you're not fishing...

#48 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

A few more days and the groundhog will let us all know what the scoop is.

#49 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

Well...if it's just the itch...some parts of the rivers have opened up. Lake O is always game for some pike fishing (been catching some on open water marinas already). Hooked an odd bass last Sunday (released immediately). I don't go after steels until mid February when the flow starts again.

#50 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:14 PM

Nice, I can't wait to start dropping floats again

#51 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:43 PM

We all have our favorites. I loved my Raven IM8, till I bought a GLoomis IMX on an impulse. The Raven was sold within days, both my sons run Tranquility rods and they are great rods for the money no doubt. It has been a totally different experience fishing with the Loomis, I still lose fish, no one catches everyone they hook but I've had way better catch ratio plus it's way lighter. Great video nothing like Steel.