• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 chinook2835

chinook2835

Sunfish

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:52 AM

So I fished the salmon run this year at erindale park a lot his year,it was largely unsuccessful besides for one fish over like 8 weeks it was brutal. I'd assume steelhead are in there now in good numbers so i want to give it a shot, I was wondering if what I was doing for salmon would work or if I needed to change where I fished,bait presentation,line type ,time of day and if anyone had any tips for a semi beginniner I'm no pro but I think I have the basics

#2 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

Fish early or late in the day. Use roe bags or worms under a float and you should be able to catch some. If you choose to fish lures, then try skunk kiwkfish or mepps spinners or stick baits.

#3 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

Roe has been very productive for me so far. Stay away from shallow clear water...any part of the river where you can't see bottom will be holding fish...this is the peak of the run afterall. Pay close attention to y our bobber...some hits are very subtle that it would seem like your bait just bumped bottom. Any disturbance, set the hook.

#4 chinook2835

chinook2835

Sunfish

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

Thanks guys, it's gonna be overcast the day I go so I'm assuming it'll still be good seeing I can't go to early or late, im set up right now to freeline and I'll try to find an empty pool

#5 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:13 PM

Thanks guys, it's gonna be overcast the day I go so I'm assuming it'll still be good seeing I can't go to early or late, im set up right now to freeline and I'll try to find an empty pool

Best to fish pools with fish in em.
Avoid the empty pools.

#6 chinook2835

chinook2835

Sunfish

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

lol ill try to

#7 chinook2835

chinook2835

Sunfish

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

is there anyone I can pm that I can just spit questions to? I have so many that I cant find answers to

#8 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

is there anyone I can pm that I can just spit questions to? I have so many that I cant find answers to

Just busting your roe bag. Lol
Numerous guys on this forum with tons of knowledge.
No such thing as a stupid question.
Feel free to ask anything on this forum.
That's why it's here.
We all had and have our growing pains.

#9 chinook2835

chinook2835

Sunfish

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

I don't really know what to look for to know what pool would hold fish,where to drift my bait,if my bait is in the right spots in the water,my gear is very simple to I'm unfamiliar with all the talks about split shots weights,bobber types and if any of that is affecting my fishing

I'm not sure if that's all gained with experience or if I could adjust it to help me get better

#10 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

See if your local fishing store has the raven float fishing guide. Its a great resource for beginners, I used to be able to find the digital copy online but it looks like it is only available in stores now for $5.99.

#11 Bryonfromtilly

Bryonfromtilly

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:52 PM

Or youtube.

#12 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

https://www.fix.com/...ut-in-a-stream/  A bit of reading material, there is tons of info out if you like to read.

#13 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:19 PM

https://howtoflyfish...t-reading-water This one is good too, just sit back and watch.

#14 chinook2835

chinook2835

Sunfish

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:35 PM

Thanks guys appreciate the help

#15 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:22 AM

There is a raven float fishing guide at Sail. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. I might be able to help you since I know the credit and a few other west tribs quite well (spots that hold fish, times to go fishing when others aren't there, lures that I have found work best for this time of year, secret spots I can give permission to fish) 

#16 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

Steelheading involves a lot of legwork and patience. One thing I have learned all over the years is being polite to others would earn you respect and some tips. When I was starting, i pretty muchdid  a lot of netting for other vets...and that's where I pretty much learn a lot...looking at their rigs...size of beads, hooks, leaders and split shotting. It also involves the right gear. Do you really want to go out there to hook to a steelhead only to lose it in less than 30 secs? Be willing to share a spot, be polite and people will come to your aid. I've met a lot of friends in the water. But also don't ask too many questions...just fish and see how it goes.

#17 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:29 PM

Try to find pools with less fishing pressure. Too many guys in one spot can shut the bite down.

#18 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

Steelheading involves a lot of legwork and patience. One thing I have learned all over the years is being polite to others would earn you respect and some tips. When I was starting, i pretty muchdid a lot of netting for other vets...and that's where I pretty much learn a lot...looking at their rigs...size of beads, hooks, leaders and split shotting. It also involves the right gear. Do you really want to go out there to hook to a steelhead only to lose it in less than 30 secs? Be willing to share a spot, be polite and people will come to your aid. I've met a lot of friends in the water. But also don't ask too many questions...just fish and see how it goes.

So TRUE Dill.
One can make it an enjoyable sharing experience,or you can be the dick.
ie. This is my run. drift 75 ft.and force people out, be as miserable and selfish with others as possible.
Certainly not my style of fishing.
I enjoy meeting new people.
And as you said. In return you sometimes get , new spot info, what the hot bait is,
or the days hottest colour.
My buddies dad has always said.
You won't meet nicer people , than fisherman and hunters.
I for one.
Don't want that experience to die.
Cause some ass just has to prove he's the best. Lol.

#19 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

Oops.
Double post.

#20 chinook2835

chinook2835

Sunfish

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

Skunked. But I did talk with some nice guys there who gave me a few tips,most of my problems are with my rigs. However I must say steelhead fishing felt a lot harder,being used to salmon fishing not seeing any action from fish in the water made me lack confidence , light bites from the fish and having to be so wary of ur bobber...it made me wanna catch a giant even more now thought I'd prefer calmer warmer days lol