• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:53 PM

I’ve been following the river cameras and looks like the eastern tribs have started along with reports I’ve gathered from friends. The Salmon derby is well on its way. I will be making my way up there early Tuesday morning and traveling along the coast hitting up all of the tribs for a six day frenzy. Lots of rain in the forecast with some sunny days but lower night time temps.
Hope everyone else has success this season

#2 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 10:02 PM

Six days early salmon trip! Man you make me envious. I have to sleep less and travel an hour to get to the action. Nevertheless I did lend my first one of the season  and will wait till salmon hit my home creek.

#3 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 10:19 PM

Yeah it is an early go at them, but I always like to get out early. I’m also over an hour away from them, fortunately my job allows me some freedom to get out. So most definitely won’t be the last trip. I also go early that way I can hit the Hamilton tribs and western tribs as well. Hopefully I can also teach my sons how to centerpin this year, that should be interesting

#4 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:53 PM

the east tribs are already stacked. go to any trib (and at the mouth) east of toronto and you'll find success

#5 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:41 AM

if you guys get those pesky unwanted chubs while running floats. Put a bigger hook on and use the chub for bait.... I'm telling you its insane lol

#6 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:51 AM

What’s with all this chub talk? Lol

#7 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

Use them for bait lol

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:35 PM

Use them for bait lol

I've been catching 8-10 inches chubs in my Trib north section. my friend have been hooking up salmon with leech patterns weekend and hooked up a monster with a stonefly...I will wait for the chromes to come in.

#9 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

Okay I feel there is a joke in this,I’m for some reason just not getting! I also look forward for the chromes to be coming. So in the meantime early salmon action with the odd trout follow in I will take, until the October/ November action

#10 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:11 PM

I’ll try my luck for an Atlantic......

#11 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:48 AM

LMAO... there is no joke with this. I was drifting big dew worms for kings on the weekend. The little creek chubs were destroying the worms before they got to the salmon. This was pissing me off cuz I only had so many worms. So I caught a creek chub and got mad... left it on the hook and threw it back out at the top of the pool. Immediately a big king hammered the chub and snapped my line. Completely caught me off guard.

I put on a tiny piece of worm and was now targeting creek chub. I caught another one, cut my line and put a large bass hook on. I then put the creek chub on the bass hook. I moved the bobber towards the hook to keep the creek chub off of the bottom of the river. Threw the creek chub back out now on the bass hook with a float. The kings were crushing the creek chubs. landed 3 monster kings using creek chubs for bait.

So what I was saying is if you catch a creek chub, use it for bait. I got vids from the weekend of 30lb+ kings killing creek chubs lol.

#12 Bowie

Bowie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:06 AM

LMAO... there is no joke with this. I was drifting big dew worms for kings on the weekend. The little creek chubs were destroying the worms before they got to the salmon. This was pissing me off cuz I only had so many worms. So I caught a creek chub and got mad... left it on the hook and threw it back out at the top of the pool. Immediately a big king hammered the chub and snapped my line. Completely caught me off guard.

I put on a tiny piece of worm and was now targeting creek chub. I caught another one, cut my line and put a large bass hook on. I then put the creek chub on the bass hook. I moved the bobber towards the hook to keep the creek chub off of the bottom of the river. Threw the creek chub back out now on the bass hook with a float. The kings were crushing the creek chubs. landed 3 monster kings using creek chubs for bait.

So what I was saying is if you catch a creek chub, use it for bait. I got vids from the weekend of 30lb+ kings killing creek chubs lol.

I could see this 100%, especially with fresh salmon in the river. I applaud you for thinking outside the box and trying something new, that's what it takes sometimes! I'm looking forward to more of your videos and hopefully I'll get a chance to fish with you again. Need to upgrade my 'yak though eventually ...

#13 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:03 PM

The smell and erratic action of a live creek chub probably gives it a significant advantage over a lot of the baits that people drift

#14 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:09 PM

and most people don't believe me spoons and spinners work on rivers on fresh runs....

#15 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:08 PM

and most people don't believe me spoons and spinners work on rivers on fresh runs....

yeah people get mad and think your snaggin'

I found that using those annoying creek chubs worked well about 24 km upstream on a lake ontario trib last year early september 

#16 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

I hear if you upsize your treble hooks you can increase your catch ratio.

#17 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

Lmao. If poaching is ur thing. Some of us still catch these legit.

#18 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:50 PM

Okay I see what you’re talking about. Never would have thought of that. I will give it a go next this weekend. As for poaching I caught two morons doing that treble hook crap yesterday. Giant treble hook slow very slow retrieve followed with a quick pull, witnessed them make two salmon just roll like crazy. So I walked over and warned them if I saw it again that I would call the CO. The minute after I said that they packed up started walking away calling me a few choice words.

#19 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:52 PM

I don’t disagree with you DILLIGAF

#20 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:04 AM

DILLIGAF -- Spinners and spoons do work. That erratic behavior and flash draws them in and their curiosity and aggression get the better of them. Creek chub is doing the same thing on the hook. That fish in distress is just so irresistible. If you are fishing legit, everyone else can pound salt if they don't like it.

Fishing Addiction -- Good on you for calling them out. Friggin hate seeing guys out right snagging. At least you gave them a warning. I would have "This is Sparta" kicked their poaching as$ right into the pool.... If you try the chub as bait, use a big hook and put it through the chubs lips (Big bass hooks work great). Shorten the lead to keep em off the bottom.