Photo

New Here and To Fishing :) Loving it so far!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hz75

hz75

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:09 PM

Hello All!

My Name is Hass, lives in Toronto Downtown area. I picked up this new hobby in late summer 2018. Bought a rod(mid-tow action), few lines(8lb, 20 and 50 lbs, I had no idea so I just bought few) and a reel.

As of now my catch counter in the GTA is ZERO. lol. I know, I haven't catch anything yet in GTA. 

Although, on my cottage trip near Algonquin park, I caught my first ever bass, probably 1lb.

Other than fishing I work full time as a software engineer. Got a lovely few months old daughter.

I am looking forward to learn a thing or two from this community :)

Cheers,

#2 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:19 PM

Welcome same fields nice. And same area. 

GTA has some good places but it's all about timing and weather down here.

#3 hz75

hz75

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:24 PM

Welcome same fields nice. And same area. 

GTA has some good places but it's all about timing and weather down here.

I don't know much places here.

I have been to Rouge River in Scarborough and Ashbridge Bay in East York. 

I am going to go and try Duffins Creek on Sunday. 

P.S: How is fishing different in Falls or in weather like today then fishing in summer ?

#4 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:44 PM

Welcome hz75 

Water is to cold for most species of fish to be active this time of year. There are fishing opportunities still. One of them is migratory rainbow trout aka steelhead, or bows or many other names :) In fact this is the fish almost everyone is trying to catch before the ice covers the rivers. Setup is fairly simple it is just a bait drifting under the float. Google something like "fall steelhead Ontario" and you will get tons of videos and tutorials. At this point do not pay to much attention to the centerpin floating rods that are recommended for this type of fishing. This gear comes with a hefty price tug. Your spinning rod will do just fine for the taste of steelheading. Tackle stores sell tied roe bags and bunch of artificial lures to try.

Familiarize yourself with the fishing rules. This Sunday your are going to zone 17. Dress really worm grub a thermos with hot coffee and have fun .