Change back to steelhead and salmon .
Who cares about 65lb test bass fishing.

#2 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:47 PM

Hookers and blackjack would be nice to ;)

#3 tombo

tombo

Sunfish

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:49 AM

Bring back shout box
Change back to steelhead and salmon .
Who cares about 65lb test bass fishing.

Sounds like hunting deer with a tank!

#4 tombo

tombo

Sunfish

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:50 AM

Its not just this forum. Many fishing forums dying out. Lake simcoe forum is the only 1 I know of getting good participation. ?????

#5 pwadm

pwadm

Sunfish

• Administrators
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:13 AM

We need an active group of posters that would engage the community with frequent posts, and reports. What openfire did when he started the forum. Not an easy task, and requires lots of time. 

#6 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:42 AM

the only thing that seems to bring up some good conversations is when the salmonids are running

#7 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:25 AM

Not many are even willing to engage or start up conversations on the topic now due to the amount of ppl that believe their way of fishing is the only way. If done in any other fashion other than what they believe to be the correct way, they are quick to offend and begin to harass and/or verbally assault the individual. I see it on many forums and ppl are quick to withdraw due to not wanting to be a part of it. Too many keyboard warriors walking through life without consequences....

Just because you scratch your ass with your right hand, doesn't mean I cant scratch my ass with my left hand  :mrgreen:

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." -- Friedrich Nietzsche. 

#8 bharkasaig

bharkasaig

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:29 PM

What Chrome just said.

I haven't been on for ages, and I accept my part in not participating. And maybe some things have changed, but let me say why I'm on less.

Participating is hard. Some of you are funny as hell. Others are knowledgeable as hell. A few of you are both. To those people I doff my cap - you are the reason I have an account.

But often some innocent would post something, looking for help, and instead of help they would get either 'it's already been posted, go look' or would get some smart ass remark that in context is funny but out of context (and a newer poster usually doesn't get all the context) sounds very off-putting. Either way - no more posts to that discussion.

This is a forum. It is a chance to shoot the poop with other people. But don't forget that the glory of the pre-search-bar days was telling the same great story over and over again, or explaining your glory set-up over and over.

Maybe regular posts about similar topics. I love the topics of seasonal flies - but they are so situation that they can be easily changed to what flies are working or what flies worked?

And, as tiring as it sounds, politely explaining that fishing effectively requires building a body of knowledge along with time on water is key to keeping this forum going. Some of you do this really well, but others do not. And if it isn't done well it is taken as a 'this is not your place' statement.

Add to it that there are a few on here who post crap for their own promotion. Some of it is useful, but is so self-aggrandizing it is off-putting.

The whole point is fishing. When I'm fishing, I'm not on the forum. I'm only on here when I'm itching to fish (like now). When its fishing time, I'm on the water when I can. And, if i'm not, I don't always feel like I can ask a question.

I've learned a lot here. About how to fish, sure, but more importantly about stewardship - how to make sure my catches end up being some one else's monsters in the future. This has been the most valuable resource as I got into fishing.

I'll still check in occasionally. But, if everything actually fishing has been covered and this is really a place for a few people to shoot the poop while at work, I'll be coming back less and less.

My 85 cents.

#9 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:24 PM

Part of it is that the steelhead fishing is dismal last year after the salmon run...I visit the forum everyday and now new material. I fish hard on any given sunday but I have been very busy with full time work and some side jobs as well. Fishing will come later. I suspect most of us have a lot on our plate other than fishing. It also seems like some of the new members either fade or get driven off. I get some pms about secret spots and techniques and I believe that's what drives most people to sign up. I do share spots because eventually it will be found one way or the other. Whenever I get asked where the good spots are, I always answer with a question...where do you usually fish? then follow up with "that's actually a good area to fish, you just have to learn to read the water and vary your offering". I have fished the rivers and lakes long enough to know you can catch about anything in any of 'em. Learning how is better than Learning where.

#10 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:06 PM

Part of it is that the steelhead fishing is dismal last year after the salmon run...

Thank you thank you thank you I was thinking that I just sucked  last fall . Landed 1 chromer only :( 

#11 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:05 AM

Not many are even willing to engage or start up conversations on the topic now due to the amount of ppl that believe their way of fishing is the only way. If done in any other fashion other than what they believe to be the correct way, they are quick to offend and begin to harass and/or verbally assault the individual. I see it on many forums and ppl are quick to withdraw due to not wanting to be a part of it. Too many keyboard warriors walking through life without consequences....

Just because you scratch your ass with your right hand, doesn't mean I cant scratch my ass with my left hand :mrgreen:

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." -- Friedrich Nietzsche.

Ahmen to this. Chrome I couldn’t have said it better. To me fishing is about fun and helping the next person or being helped from another. Promoting conservation and sheer enjoyment.

#12 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

I like to share knowledge , technique  and everything in between . Sharing my spots with anyone and everyone that asks is a no no! Done that in the past numerous times and have paid the price. Access to many rivers have been lost due to this one person telling the other and the other and the other. Google earth can be blamed too , but hey at least using that is called "doing the leg work". Have been fortunate to fish with a few members from here who have become very good friends. They share their spots and I in return take them to mine. That's the way to do it , not by a click of a button. Going out fishing new waters experiencing different methods learning and sharing on the spot is the way to go .

#13 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:26 AM

I use to post a fair bit but a lot of people complaining about a lot of nothing. Come back once in awhile to see what's happening but yeah I think its dying.

#14 SenkoKing

SenkoKing

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:46 PM

Yes most forums are fading.
Quinte has a good forum due to local bait/tackle shops and the vast amount of tournaments out that way.
I post ice conditions on there as im in a permanent hut just south of CFB trenton.
Not too much posting/replying on fishing topics anymore on here besides a dedicated few

#15 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:28 PM

i have been absent  awile as well, started a new career that keeps me very busy without a lot of time for other things