Photo

First trip in Algonquin, any good beginner routes?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yukondogloshua

Yukondogloshua

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:24 AM

Hey All,

I'm planning a weekend long (Friday to Monday) fishing trip in algonquin next summer, I was wondering if anyone is willing to share any good routes or lakes to try and get to?

Thanks,

Josh

#2 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:56 PM

What species are you interested in?

I was one of the contributors to a map my friend made of Algonquin full of brook trout spots

While I will not give you access to the map, I can point you in the right direction of where to go and how to access it if you tell me where about you'll be fishing (town or general area will help)

#3 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

It's not to hard to get into some decent fishing in Algonquin when you do a few portages and get away from the crowds, it's basically either Trout or SM bass.

Do your research about techniques and lures but most important is understanding where the fish will be at the time of year your going in that's half the battle right there.

Try to find out the depths of lakes your thinking about which will help you determine if it 's suitable for the fish your targeting and what area's to try first.

Spring/summer/fall require changes to your presentation to be successful and don't be afraid to go big because there are some true monsters roaming those waters.

#4 jdottawa

jdottawa

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:14 AM

Yeah, lots of simple routes for weekenders along the 60 corridor. 

Start with the default for many beginners. 

1) - Smoke -> Ragged -> Big Porcupine   and then back same route.

2) - Canoe -> Teepee -> LittleDoe -> Tom Thomson  and back

You'll get lake trout and smallmouth on these two routes.