• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Howdy erryone , last summer was my first summer really learning the grand(through out brantford). I only targeted bass but ive heard many people talking about catching pickeral. Im not asking for honey holes or anything juss what kinda structure or baits would i go about using to target them. Im trying to take in all information before the season starts so i can pick up right where i left off last!! Happy fishing

#2 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

I can't help much with Walleye. I fish the Grand all the time, Mostly get Bass and Cats and a few Pike. Walleye are basically an incidental catch there as far as I know. Below the dam at Dunnville I know they catch some. Up stream anyone who catches one even if it is only 6 inches keeps them, so they are few. I have seen a few caught at Caledonia, but not many.

Alfie.

#3 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

Hey thanks for the reply alfie. Yah i havnt seen anyone catch any only heard if them. I think its best i spend my time on carp since thier more plentiful and have seen some real monsters. While out bass fishing.

#4 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

I can tell you that north of Bellwood there are no Walleye, but lots of smallies and pike. At least I haven't caught any.

#5 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

They are around, just got to find em.
Conestoga-Eye.jpg

#6 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

What should i be looking for structure wise? What kinda.lure is that?

#7 ChefMick

ChefMick

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

Something I find amazing is the fish are there, but its more of when and how, I grew up most of my life in London, On.

The river flowing through the majority of the city runs long and wide, we would mainly target carp and cats, however the thought of hooking an 'eye loomed over the campfire.

Could they possibly make it this far up? A question often asked but inevitably, never put to the test.

20. Years later I get the pleasure to fish with a fellow chromer on the Niagara, who is currently attending a university in London.

I ask him how's the fishing been, his reply was, I met a fellow angler, and he showed me a spot near the university, and we bagged walleye all day long.

Well my jaw dropped, but just for a moment....just enough time to say, grats sounds like a great days fishing.

#8 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Looks like ill be on the hunt for them this summer. Im originally from north bay where they are plentiful. This is gonna be my third year fishing the grand . ..... Counting down the days till i can get my line in the water...

#9 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

What should i be looking for structure wise? What kinda.lure is that?

That lure would be a Rapala X-Rap, fish was caught in a pool that has a max depth of 15feet. A rocky/gravel bottom. Reeling at a medium retreval speed with the odd hard twitch, every 5 feet or so. Sometimes a slower retrieve is the key. Grand has eyes just gotta find em, and usualy once you find one there will be more around.

#10 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

I would not want to venture a guess at the number of walleyes I caught in the Thames over the years , but now the season closes early to protect spawning fish eliminating most fishing opportunities. Last year with the early warm weather many local anglers were able to get in a few days fishing before the March 15 closing.

#11 GrandRiverDrifter

GrandRiverDrifter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

try cockshutt bridge area 420.

#12 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Aigght, thanks. Last year didnt venture that far. Looking forward to the season!!!!

#13 bassaddict

bassaddict

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Have fished the Grand @ below Caledonia and Brantford for a few years now, only caught one pickerel, all Bass

#14 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

Have fished the Grand @ below Caledonia and Brantford for a few years now, only caught one pickerel, all Bass

Me too, lots of Bass and Cats, a few Pike, Bowfin, Gar, Carp and Sheephead. Only a rare walleye.Either I am in the wrong places or my technique is wrong. Hell I don't mind Bass and Cats all day :cool:

Alfie.

#15 worldslaziestninja

worldslaziestninja

Sunfish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:36 AM

more north then brantford.    Thats a direction to start. 

#16 Drma_drma_Plovak2013

Drma_drma_Plovak2013

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Have fished the Grand @ below Caledonia, have caught cats, mooneye, walleye, rainbows, salmon, bass, pike, crappie, and tons of panfish !!

Grand rocks, just gotta be patient with water levels and greedy anglers who keep more than 5 fish.

tight lines

#17 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Have fished the Grand @ below Caledonia, have caught cats, mooneye, walleye, rainbows, salmon, bass, pike, crappie, and tons of panfish !!

Grand rocks, just gotta be patient with water levels and greedy anglers who keep more than 5 fish.

tight lines

Agreed,the Grand rocks, as a regular at the Grand, have caught all those species except Salmon. There is no Salmon run in the Grand as far as I know. They have never been stocked. The Grand is a warm-water trib and the eggs would never hatch or the fry would never make it if they got to that point.

The rest are there, Bass, Cats and Panfish plentiful. Pike and Walleye on ocassion. Rainbows in season. Add Bowfin, Gar, Sheephead, Carp, it does rock.

As for people who keep more than the limit or out of season fish, call the MNR if you see this. As I have said before, maybe the COs won't show up after you call, but I repeatedly call and have seen others busted for doing the same thing the next week. 1-877-847-7667.

Alfie.

#18 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

Does anyone know when i can go carp fishing????? Ive tried looking over the regs but i cant find it. Im dying to fish haha

#19 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

Does anyone know when i can go carp fishing????? Ive tried looking over the regs but i cant find it. Im dying to fish haha

Carp is open all year.

#20 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Ahh sweet thanks bro , didnt target carp last year but after seeing some of the monsters in the grand im going after ehm