• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scottage_cheese

scottage_cheese

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

I went out of Penetang Harbour trolling for trout and salmon.  I was in 140' of water south of Giants Tomb and was marking fish and bait from 50' down to 100'.  I set a chrome j plug 80' down and trolled through a bait ball with a large fish arch.  The rod released from the downrigger but there didn't seem to be any action on it.  For the first 20 feet it felt like I was pulling up the 10lbs rigger ball then I felt a kick and the fish took some line.  The fish surged a few times as I brought it to the surface. I was expecting to see a trout on the end of my line but I was supprised to see a 15-20lbs muskie.  I got the hook out and released it  and it swam away strong.  Has anyone else caught a muskie this deep?

Scott

#2 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

That is rather deep, from what I understand bigger pike and muskie sometimes suspend in some water 40 to 60 but I would think it would be later in the season but I am no expert. There was a bait ball so I guess they will go where the food is even in extreme cases like this.

#3 Nick Evans

Nick Evans

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

This will happen the odd time especially in the area you are fishing. After the spawn fish will suspend over deep water but I must admit 80' is the deepest I've heard.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Muskie, downrigger, 80