Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

lets rock

#2 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

There should be an option to post forum topics for MEMBERS ONLY.

#3 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

totally--so nobody can see whats up except us--

#4 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

#5 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

All for it.

#6 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

It really erks me that random trollers (yes YOU) are reading our posts.  In fact I even deleted pictures of my boat

#7 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

I know everyone is all "raw raw" for this private membership deal so everyone can be the first to get to the fresh fish or newest hot spot before the "random trolls" but the reality is there are many open fishing forums that post locales in the open fairly often. I can even think of one that supports the open sharing of spots and times. I think that the idea of creating this private network is just the hopes and dreams of a select individual (or few) being able to get the jump on others spots while making themselves feel part of some "elite" or in crowd...

I doubt that posting your spot or hole in an open but paid section of a forum is going to protect it at all... one months subscription to the paid section and someone can skim all of your spots and reports...

#8 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

we aren't talking about this idea changing the world around us brother--we are making this a more exclusinve club with events and such that nobody will be a part of except us--it will also give us pullwith locals shops and joining other events as a group instead of just fisherman

#9 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

It really erks me that random trollers (yes YOU) are reading our posts. In fact I even deleted pictures of my boat

you said it fisher girl. I don't even post pics anymore

#10 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

I think the idea has some validation, but who controls the money? How are we aware of the amounts coming in and how they are being used? Also do you think that having a "members" only section of OFF will some how have detrimental effects on the general public portion of OFF?

Again I do think it has some validations its just that it also brings up a lot of questions.

#11 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

I honestly might leave the forum of I have to pay because there are lots of free alternatives however if or ontario fishing forum shirts are included in the fees for the site and we get exclusives is be down for it

#12 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

I honestly might leave the forum of I have to pay because there are lots of free alternatives however if or ontario fishing forum shirts are included in the fees for the site and we get exclusives is be down for it

I agree I am intrigued,  but there are still a lot of questions to be answered , also I am curious to see some of the MODS input to this topic.

#13 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

Not clear whether this is a capital generating venture...nor what practical function this will have by way of protecting fragile watersheds. Not a business guy and this is not my site so I will defer on the former. As for the latter, suffice to say that there are numerous other fora that openly discuss access to southern tribs...the exercise here then is moot and will effectively create a two-tiered forum. Not sure whether I subscribe to that. It might also be noted that a quick pm to those whome you trust to have good discretion has always been the best way of marshalling a group of such anglers to meet up for time on the water...although sharing information about fragile fisheries with those you "trust" to be discrete doesn't always work out either (human nature brothers and sisters).

It seems the system we have in place...a few strategic invites and pms is adequate...jmo

I will leave to far more profound and judicious minds than this one...

#14 GaryC

GaryC

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

I'm pretty new here so I don't know how everything exactly works but these are some things I've noticed

1. Guests can read a majority of the forum (I see 4 google users sitting in here), but couldn't you do something to force it so you have to be a registered users to view the open topics.  

2. Not sure if you have any hidden forums but some forums have a post count requirement before other forums become available to them.. much like the use of the shoutbox.  Or some kind of referral program (points like someone mentioned in shoutbox)

I'm actually fine with a membership fee.. heck I've paid for forums just to get a MP3 so my wife gets off my back.  So far this has been one of the nicer forums I've joined, some of the other fishing forums don't even answer me or really keep to their small groups.

#15 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm pretty new here so I don't know how everything exactly works but these are some things I've noticed

1. Guests can read a majority of the forum (I see 4 google users sitting in here), but couldn't you do something to force it so you have to be a registered users to view the open topics.  

2. Not sure if you have any hidden forums but some forums have a post count requirement before other forums become available to them.. much like the use of the shoutbox.  Or some kind of referral program (points like someone mentioned in shoutbox)

I'm actually fine with a membership fee.. heck I've paid for forums just to get a MP3 so my wife gets off my back.  So far this has been one of the nicer forums I've joined, some of the other fishing forums don't even answer me or really keep to their small groups.

I am starting to notice the "small group syndrome" on this forum also. But in all I find the forum to be very friendly and open to help when people have questions. And the majority of the people on here are  quit nice. 

#16 SmackUm

SmackUm

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Not clear whether this is a capital generating venture...nor what practical function this will have by way of protecting fragile watersheds. Not a business guy and this is not my site so I will defer on the former. As for the latter, suffice to say that there are numerous other fora that openly discuss access to southern tribs...the exercise here then is moot and will effectively create a two-tiered forum. Not sure whether I subscribe to that. It might also be noted that a quick pm to those whome you trust to have good discretion has always been the best way of marshalling a group of such anglers to meet up for time on the water...although sharing information about fragile fisheries with those you "trust" to be discrete doesn't always work out either (human nature brothers and sisters).

It seems the system we have in place...a few strategic invites and pms is adequate...jmo

I agree if it's not broken don't fix it!...

#17 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

I think its all comes down to making it more exclusive for us--no revenue mottel here all funds should be used for the site and its activities directly-maybe we agree upon an amount each mod receives for their services et--500 bucks a year buys some fishing equip but if everyone pays 50 for a year you are talking a lot of money to use for great trips-group outings shirts-high-tech flashy stuff and the eye of most fishing stores in Ontario because they will know the people that pay are serious. not to say the freebies are not serious but as a business man I see value in a forum where people pay-I would want them to test stuff out, suggest ideas on my products improvement and share my goodies for their outings-fact.

#18 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

for those on a budget, like my self, i would most definitely NOT subscribe to a payed forum, all it would do is create more controversy and drama....oh you want to come to this event?....yea....oh, i see you aren't a payed member, you can;t come.....thats a bunch of BS that we don't need.  the coding should be easy enough, bring back the reports section, have a minimum post count of say 250-300 to unlock this feature,...by setting the post count that high, it allows the person to become involved with the community, and for the community as a whole to be involved with that person

#19 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

Yup.  

Still would be interested in a private report section of some sorts so the lurkers couldn't see.

#20 Shamus33

Shamus33

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

Many forums out there have separate sections that are members only.  Probably not a bad thing if you are trying to protect special fishing spots from casual skimmers.  However, unless you are trying to cut down on the number of new forum members, I would avoid making all posts visible to members only.  Personally before becoming a member, I like to browse posts in a perspective forum to get a sense of whether it is a friendly and helpful venue, and whether it is lively with many members, or near empty and dying.  If I can't see posts and get a sense of what the forum is like, I tend to move on.