• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:11 AM

This is a matter of pride my 10 year old nephew thinks he is a better fisherman than me because he caught a 2 foot pike. And this year I targeted catfis, rainbow trout, bass and salmon at bronte creek where there was a shortage of salmon and didnt cacth any. have a basic idea of how to fish for them just never concenrated on it. Love the look of the fish but do not know locations where they are around brantford. I am a shorebound fisherman. Any location less than 45 minutes from brantford is fine. Do not know many effective lures for them just swimbaits, some spoons, and lures. If you know where to get livebait minnows in brantford that would be helpful. Any tips, personal proven stratigies, and information would be appricated

#2 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:20 AM

you should just humour a 10 year old boy and not get too competitive. learn the basics first before targeting specific type of species. any big bait generally works if there is pike around. with locations you can fish, i can't help you.

#3 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

Yeah but still, I do want to catch something big with teeth no more fly eaters. h
ave learned the basics done rese.arch on pikes habitat year round.

#4 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:31 AM

you can go ice fishing.

#5 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

Icing pike is a blast but I dont know any spots 45mins from brantford

#6 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

You can start fishing now...any open water will have 'em. 24" pike is an average size. And this time of year you will be getting bigger pike because they tend to be everywhere. Unlike summer...bigger pikes go deep and drive the small ones on shallow.

#7 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hit up on of the local CAs a lot of the ones in that area have pike. It took me a looong time to get my first but after the first few it really becomes pretty easy.

#8 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

Whats a ca

#9 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Never mind i realize now that it is a conservation area thanks.

#10 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

I am afraid that I can not go icefishing. I have heard and had some people I know go on thin ice and die, never have gone and do not have the tools for it. But any open area I can go to. Does the water under a dam freeze? Where can I get big baits around brantford I would catch some panfish but I think its illegal.

#11 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

The same can be said about any activity in life, but ice fishing isn't nearly as dangerous as some might believe. Here's a safety chart http://www.outdoorsn...hart 012410.png

#12 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

And as for tools all you need is something to break the ice with, could be an axe, spud, hand auger, whatever you can find.

#13 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

Okay then I will go and buy hand auger. Know any good spots less than an hour from brantford?

#14 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

I think there may be a few in Lake Erie whistling.gif But give it some time to firm up if you go that way and make sure you follow the crowds to be safe.

#15 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

Turns out the dam close by has not frozen over. Hey, are pike noctural and best targeted early morning and evening?

#16 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

Turns out the dam close by has not frozen over. Hey, are pike noctural and best targeted early morning and evening?

most fish are best targeted at first and last light including pike 

#17 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

Thanks just checking seen some catching them miday. Does anyone know how to get to puslinch and little lake near cambridge. Anyone go to brant conservation area or target pike at dams

#18 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

in dead of winter, or when it is freezing cold, most fish mainly hit 9am-1pm when the water warms up. other wise, first and last light is best for rest of the year..

#19 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

actually for pike, i find for me, the best bite is at noon, in the summer in the evening, but for ice fishing in the afternoon is best just dead stick big minnows and watch so the rod doesn't fly in the hole :oops:

#20 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

Ill right tanks, I am thinking about getti.g lots of swimbaits since there is not any places near by to get big bait. Anyone use them? Also how would I effectively catch and release pike seen toooo many dead ones, want to have a good release.