Any recommendations?
Considering HT 2 man for $139.00 at Lebaron or the 3 man for about $200.00

#2 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

Whatever you do, DO NOT get a rectangular shaped pop-up hut! I made the mistake a couple of years ago on a Clam Expedition that had a floor print of 5'x6'. It had walls that are square on the short side and rectangle on the long side. This meant that the hubs on the square sides are shorter and the hubs on the rectangular sides are longer. When you go to set up the hut, the square side hubs often tangle with the poles of the rectangular side.

I don't think they make huts with that odd shape anymore. All the hubs and poles of pop-up huts with a square floor print are equal length and they have little issue with tangles.

I've already snapped a couple of poles on my Clam Expedition because of that issue...it cost $24 for replacement hub and pole and another $20 for shipping. At that price, I'm just waiting for end of season sale to get a new pop-up...

For pop-up tents, I heard Eskimo and Clam are two reputable brands with durable products. Not sure about HT pop-ups...but some of the HT products are not very durable.

#3 RedCat

RedCat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

If you have a Costco membership check out there .ca listings. That way if there is an issue with the shack you just bring it back.

I have a Kingfisher 6. Great shack for the money. Right now in stores locally they are carrying the 3.

I have owned a few over  the years.... pop ups that is.

If you need to pack light get the 3. If you fish mostly alone, get the 3.

Like I said I own the 6. Its alot of work to set up by yourself, in fact it is sometimes almost impossible depending on the wind. BUT it sure is nice to have when you need it. I hunt and own a pop up hunting blind. If I go alone I take my hunting blind. If I go with others I take my 6 man. Works

#4 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Costco one isn't a bad price either. 180$ for a 3 man. Hmmm.

#5 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

don't get  pop-up, if you plan on fishing in -15 and lower temps and wind, i learned the hard way, lol, save up for a flip over or cabin styles instead 

#6 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Bowslayer...apparently I have a flip-over cabin  style pop-up!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! And for way cheaper than you can buy from Costco...would seat 3 pretty easy I think...

#7 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

i didn't have a very good look at yours OCD, ill have to check it out next time, sounds interesting!

#8 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

my advice would be just think off yourself when buying a pop up hut. 9/10 times that you are fishing unless you are fishing for perch you want to spread out from the guys you are fishing with so it will just end up being you alone in your hut anyways. I have the Rapala M3 but I wish I just got the M2. The M3 is heavier to carry out and harder for the heater to heat up though it is nice once i'm out there and have all that space.

#9 FishChaser67

FishChaser67

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

I have a 4 man Sub Zero love it ,, perfect size for me  

#10 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

What is it about the pop-up ones that you don't like. BowSlayer?

my advice would be just think off yourself when buying a pop up hut. 9/10 times that you are fishing unless you are fishing for perch you want to spread out from the guys you are fishing with so it will just end up being you alone in your hut anyways. I have the Rapala M3 but I wish I just got the M2. The M3 is heavier to carry out and harder for the heater to heat up though it is nice once i'm out there and have all that space.

Nado, are you suggesting this one: http://www.sail.ca/e...3866/sherpa-m2/ or this one http://www.sail.ca/e...3958/cruzer-m2/?

The cruzer is a pricey one!

#11 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

Take transport into consideration. 

I like the flip style huts and I would have gotten one, but with only my car trunk, I don't have the room to transport it. So I had to go the pop up way.

#12 Basschaser

Basschaser

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

Which pop up do you have? You did not use it on Sunday.

#13 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

Take transport into consideration. 

I like the flip style huts and I would have gotten one, but with only my car trunk, I don't have the room to transport it. So I had to go the pop up way.

That is also my issue...when you have a car trunk, flip style huts cannot fit...so I'm limited to pop-ups.

#14 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

Isn't that what roof racks are for?

#15 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

Which pop up do you have? You did not use it on Sunday.

I've got a Frabill 2 man hut. And I didn't set it up because I didn't find the fish. Once I set up, I'm not moving, so I prefer to set up on a productive spot.

Chris set up his for a while though. He has a Rapala 2 man hut.

Isn't that what roof racks are for?

Oddly enough, that makes sense ...lol

But I still prefer to have everything inside the car.

#16 Nick Mckenzie

Nick Mckenzie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

I have a clam 2000 with a Smitty sled. It's toes great and with a little heater stays warm :). Some live EM some hate EM. It's my first polyp an no complaint here

#17 skoaler27

skoaler27

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

I have a clam Bigfoot xl2000, it is about $300. For the extra money I'd recommend it, especially for 3 guys. Lots of room and made sturdy! Would totally recommend it!

#18 skoaler27

skoaler27

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

It fits nicely in my sled along with my heater, propane, auger, gear and extras. My sled weighs about 50lbs after all is said and done. Not horrible to pull but you feel it in your legs after a good hike!

#19 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

Nado, are you suggesting this one: http://www.sail.ca/e...3866/sherpa-m2/ or this one http://www.sail.ca/e...3958/cruzer-m2/?

The Sherpa 2 man. If you want the 3 man for the extra room id say go for it but just keep in mind its both bigger and heavier when putting it on your sled with your gear. Flip over huts are nice if you have a sled, pulling those things is a huge pain though.

#20 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

they catch in the wind easily and will be flying away in no time, i was impressed wight the subzero 4 man hut from ct but i have an "ice cube" and don't like it, the poles break easy and then you're screwed, its ok if you screw it in good but the roof pops down if the wind is very strong and if you're fishing in -20 temps and below like me, they're a pain in the a$$ because the poles snap easy.