• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

my wife agrees with u guys, im an a**hole!

HAHHAHA

That just made my day!

#22 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

In other words a fly but it looks like a marabou jig just without the weight

#23 Pwnisher

Pwnisher

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

I am fairly new to bead fishing myself but I found this video very useful for learning everything about bead fishing:

Enjoy!

#24 Pwnisher

Pwnisher

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

I usually tie the hook first (#8 Gamakatsu octopus hook) using a uni knot then tie on the bead using the same knot as shown in the video. Then I tie on a small swivel at the other end of the leader using a uni knot again. Finally, I add two split shots 10 inches from the bead. I'm not sure how long of a leader people usually use when bead fishing but all of mine are about 4' long. Hope that helps!

#25 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

All the advise is greatly appreciated it will all hoe to good use if anyone has more advise I would love to hear it

#26 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

Good video, I don't think any pinners would rig a bead like that though. Probably good for the fly guys though.

Still a little too far from the hook for me, it might just be me but I still kind of feel that hooking a fish anywhere but inside its mouth is kind of snagging it. Especially if u r doing it on purpose.IMO

#27 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

I agree with the thing about snagging them

#28 Almar

Almar

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

I read something interesting on another site about a magazine article where the author suggests leaving a longer tag end on the hook and pegging the bead below the hook like a hair rig for carp. If you want to change beads you just slide the old bead off and attach a new one. No need to cut your leader.
Chris

#29 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

IMO there's nothing wrong with hooking fish on the outer part of the lip, as long as it really went for the bead.

#30 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

ask the mnr if its ok to hook a fish outside of its mouth. This mistake could cost u 300 dollars. I saw a  man fined for keeping a foul hooked fish last fall (not in the tail, in the cheek!)

#31 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

f I was honest... the only time I even use beads is in high, dirty water. Bright orange beads... that is it.

#32 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

I would rather use a yarn fly.

#33 fishfearme

fishfearme

Sunfish

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Don't shy away from beads just because your new at float fishing. They are not any more difficult to use than anything else. They don't fish any different than a roe bag. 2 inches above the hook is max, anything more and you run the risk of foul hooking the fish. There are laws in certain states like Alaska that prevent you from running it more than 2 inches, and this is done for a reason. I usually run mine about 1 1/2. If you have to "trot" your float all the time to get it to fish properly, then there is probably something wrong with your set-up, whether your lead is too long, or you're not using enough weight, etc. If the float is balanced properly you should rarely have to "trot"

I've been fishing beads for many years, and they have all but replaced my use of roe, but the biggest thing is confidence. Catching a few fish leads to using them more which leads back to catching more fish.

#34 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

^ ain't that the truth about any gear though!

#35 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

i highly doubt 30 people have been charged for using beads, they more than likely had a big ol treble on the end or it was just a snagging rig with a bead some where on it. if you weren't allowed to keep a fish caught in the cheek than 75 percent of lake fisherman would all be in jail right now. triple treble hooks on rapalas hook the fish all over the chin, cheek, eye, gill. i think the rule is for the people trying to say "no the salmon really went for the hook" meanwhile they're dragging in a ol boot by its ass. if I'm wrong, next time I'm fishing i will be sure tobring my ruler with me to make sure its less than 1.5 inches  every cast because you know, beads never slip.

#36 Slickrick

Slickrick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

myself and a buddy gave beads a try yesterday for the 1st time.  we each hooked a fish on consecutive drifts.  I'll be using them more often now.

#37 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Finally got my first fish on a bead

#38 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

Here r the pics

Attached Images

• image.jpg

#39 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

Nice looking fish!

#40 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

I use peg on my beads. knotting fluoro makes it weak.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Newbie