Fly fishing?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 toober

toober

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

Does anyone here do any fly fishing? I've developed a real strong interest in it recently, to the point where I've been out looking at fly fishing gear with an eye towards making some purchases in the near future. If you have any pointers on gear, techniques, etc., please let me know!

#2 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:35 PM

Hey Toober, I just met a guy last week who makes custom rods. He's retired and now does this for a living. A real nice guy... Anyway, he uses top notch blanks that he orders in from the States.

I'm not into fly-fishing, but he says the blanks he uses are better than the top of the line G-Loomis blanks. And I know that G-Loomis makes some pretty good fly-rods.

His name is Daniel Sturges and his website is http://www.backwoodsrods.com.

(705) 429-1290

He operates out of Wasaga Beach, but he's often around the GTA so you can probably arrange something if you are interested.

#3 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:26 AM

Backwoods rods are BEAUTIFUL!! :)
They make a really nice float rod too.....
Cant go wrong with one of those babies Toober.

(Just hope openfire doesnt tell your wife what you paid for it.......I think B.O.B. might be looking for some payback!)

#4 wd40

wd40

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:09 PM

recently, i bought some flies from dollarama cuz they look cool....even though i don't have any fly fishing gear. i was wondering if there's a way to fly fish with regular fishing gear. i was thinking of tying some heat shrink tubing along side my leader to make the fly float. i still need to find those tubings though. they're around the house somewhere.........

#5 Rich

Rich

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:49 PM

I used to fly fish a lot, and after breaking my rod on a big salmon I just never got another one and therefore got out of it. It's a lot of fun, especially if you fish alone. I bet it would be great from a float tube too!

#6 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

if you enjoy fly fishing then you would probably like fly tying. it's really easy and inexspensive. all you need is hooks, some sewing thread, feathers and wool (you can probaly get some of these at a local craft store) you also need some kind of vise. if you go on youtube and search up "learn fly tying with david cammis" you'll find some great step by step videos. don't worry about the matierial he uses, all except the some feathers are easily substituted. if you really want to get serious you can buy most stuff at bass pro.

#7 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

The best fishing is fly fishing:

Rod size determines species for a starter something in the 6-7 or 8 range. The fight in wicked on a fly rod the small fish feel like monsters.

Rod length --> I like 8-10ft rods but that entirely abut your comfort. St croix for quality I have nothing bad to say about my rod.

Line type --> sinking or floating. I say floating and just add an extra long tippet. and get some right decent backing cause some of the big boys will strip the fly line clean and you'll be fighting with your backing. Long tippet is required the longer the better.

Flies --> match the hatch, first thing I do when I get to a river is wade in find a nice size stone, turn it over and check out what nymphs are around.

Look for something called GYmp it used to be what I used, rub that on your dry flies to keep they on top else eventually they sink. Margarine works too if your all out but messy.

Then most important part:

Casting, you need to learn all the proper casting techniques because as you get deeper and deeper into those back woods trying to cast a fly roll cast will become something you rely on.

Personal Tip: I got this one way back when I was buying waders, The guy would NOT sell me chest waders as a punk teenager anyways. His reasoning was too many people drown in chest waders as they just can't get out fast enough. The hip wader come off right easy. Maybe he was right I've had a few times taking that next step and it's like your sliding down some cliff under water no traction hahahaha.

#8 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:48 PM

there are two types of fly fishing, dry and wet. the difference is that a wet fly sinks and a dry fly doesn't. working with dry flies is more exiting because you often see the fish jump right out of the water so even if you loose it you get to see it. and about and to wd40 you can barely fish with regular gear because the only way to cast is by using the weight of the line. i have been sucsesful casting regular line on a direct drive but the line doesn't float and then the fish almost never bite.

#9 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

balapickerel just to continue your point there:

I find dry fly is productive but 80% of the feeding trout do is under the water.

And most rivers don't require you get yourself some sinking fly line as your only fishing 4-5 ft average about what 3ft and can manage without it.

So a long tippet works just fine and cost 5bux a opposed to 50 bux fly line.

If your lake fishing and you want to get deeper with your flies then I would agree and say get some sinking line.

Note: This I still have a hard time believeing but I have caught two carp on the fly yes carp go figure that one. Black nyphy placed right in front of his mouth kaboom. .: any fish will hit a fly.