• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 marmaduke

marmaduke

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:24 PM

Well I have decided that this year I'm going fishing whenever I can. I fished a little as a kid but never caught much. Took my kids fishing with some cheap rods and hooks, caught tons of crappies that was fun. Any way I have to buy equipment and am blown away with thousands of different rods, reels and millions of lures. What should I buy, what should I look for in a fishing rod. Is a 100 dollar combo set better than a 60 dollar one. I hate untangling fishing line, should I spend more than 100 dollars. Whats with all the lures and different colours. :)

#2 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:31 PM

Well I guess for starters, I find with fishing equipment like rods & reels, its mostly a "you get what you pay for" sort of situation, for example, if you were to goto Bass Pro Shops and buy like a $30 combo rod & reel, you know that it will probably break down sooner than for say a $60-$200 combo, but if you did get that $60-$200 combo, you'll get that many more features + warranties etc etc I think you get the picture.

As for tackle (baits & lures) that's a different story in my opinion, at first it may seem intimidating, like "what lures should I buy", the thing is, its more a matter of knowing what you're going to fish for, aswell as knowning which lure colors work best. After you've learnt that & know which lures & lure colors do best, you'll feel more like a kid in a candy store in no time. Personally I like to categorize baits into 2 categories, natural food baits & then enticer baits. Natural baits are usually brown, green, or black colored worms, flies, mouse baits, etc its more of a staple to the fish than them instinctly stricking the bait I find. Then theres baits like topwater buzz baits, poppers, & spinnerbaits that make the fish go nuts, colors like florescent pink, chartreuse & blood red, bright pearl white baits that are specifically made to make a commotion in the water & get scores of fish to attack it.

And if you're simply going to fish for sunfish & small bass with the kids, all they need is some worms or a small piece of berkley's trout worm texas rigged under a float with #12 gamakatsu octopus hook. If you plan on fishing for bigger bass & pike, then you may want to start looking at inline spinners (Mepps & Panther Martin spiners), or try using stick baits (senkos), theres also topwater baits aswell like poppers or buzz baits which are a load of fun !!

#3 marmaduke

marmaduke

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:07 PM

Okay Thanks, my kids are grown now but hopefully they will still go fishing with me but I'm sure they'll want bigger stuff. I'm sure once I get started I'll be that kid in the candy store.

#4 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:20 PM

For Lures, go to Openfire's secret tackle shop.....Dollarama.....great spinners and topwater for a buck a piece..loose one, ****it!, tie on another and cast away! DISPOSABLE LURES!!!
Catches fish too! ;) Although that might be all Openfire's touch!

#5 marmaduke

marmaduke

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:51 PM

Good thinking, I can do that.

#6 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:26 AM

For Lures, go to Openfire's secret tackle shop.....Dollarama.....great spinners and topwater for a buck a piece..loose one, ****it!, tie on another and cast away! DISPOSABLE LURES!!!
Catches fish too! ;) Although that might be all Openfire's touch!

That's technically Toober's secret... I found out about the Dollarama spinners through him. :D Good stuff though, and ya can't beat the price! :D

#7 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:15 PM

OOPS>>>>THANKS TOOOBER!!!!(Not much of a secret anymore I guess)
Not too sure if Toober gets the same results as Openfire though!!!

#8 toober

toober

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:56 PM

Hey, now... that ain't fair! I caught plenty!!!

#9 pogon02

pogon02

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:23 AM

So the Dollarama stuff actually works? I picked up some large lure about 10 to 11 inches long recently and there was some nice hard baits but when I went back a week later they were all bought only top water poppers were left I will try to post a pic soon of the nice lure i picked up they had more but as I said I went back a week later to get more and someone got there ahead of me so I suppose that the lures do work they are made by a chinese company called Mako or something. Did you guys use the hardbait stuff fro dollarama?

#10 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

yep, they all work! disposable to !

#11 Guest_ontariocarper_*

Guest_ontariocarper_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

The dollarrama hard baits work great on the bass pond. Never worked well for me from the boat.

For rods and reel, all I can say don't cheap out, $100 combo would be the min. It would save you less hassles in the long run.

JMHO,
Daniel
OCH

#12 knelsen

knelsen

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:29 PM

is there fishing lures in all dollarama stores, or which store are you getting them from?

#13 Guest_ontariocarper_*

Guest_ontariocarper_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

90% of the dollaramas have them. I got mine at the weston and hwy7 location.

Daniel
OCH

#14 ght

ght

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

dollar rama at cloverdale has some nice lures in there aswell.

#15 Bvillefish

Bvillefish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:45 AM

im going to check out the dollarama in the bowmanville mall thurs. and i'll let you know if that one has it too

#16 esoxseeker

esoxseeker

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

Caught my first ever walleye on a dollar store lure. They actually have some pretty cool baits, good for just getting started for sure.

#17 Bvillefish2

Bvillefish2

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:30 PM

Caught my first ever walleye on a dollar store lure. They actually have some pretty cool baits, good for just getting started for sure.

Really! What size walleye do you think it was? Do you have any pics?

#18 esoxseeker

esoxseeker

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

It was a green fat crankbait, was trolling in Lake St. John, was about 3lbs or so, no pics though as it was actually my first time back in a boat, and didn't expect to get anything. I now carry 3 cameras in the boat. The lure company it was made by was MAKO.

#19 sharper

sharper

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:21 PM

Don't break the bank but spend as much as you can if you plan to get into fishing. I have upgraded so many times as I enjoyed it more.

#20 Bvillefish2

Bvillefish2

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

It was a green fat crankbait, was trolling in Lake St. John, was about 3lbs or so, no pics though as it was actually my first time back in a boat, and didn't expect to get anything. I now carry 3 cameras in the boat. The lure company it was made by was MAKO.

Really i've heard good things about St. John. by the sounds of it, it was a nice catch! :D