8 replies to this topic

#1 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:21 AM

Hello again.

I would like to play with a Baitcaster reel/rod from now on...

Could someone recommend me a quality combo set?

I am cheap and I am not as hardcore as you guys ;)

I budget is only up to $150 after tax.

Is this do'able?

I visited BassProShop today and they had a Daiwa Procast/BPS rod combo but it was right hand retrieve and it just felt odd. I did try other brands of left hand retrieve and it felt good. I guess I much prefer to controller the rod with right hand.

GoodDay!

#2 paw

paw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hey MikeyMikey, I brought the Daiwa procast/bps rod last year. I caught my first musky on it and other fishes. I think its a good combo for starters, for me atleast. mine is left hand retrieve but my spinning set is right hand retrieve and I'm left handed too. wonder why is that.

$150 well get you that or cheaper. ;)

paw

#3 Pigurd

Pigurd

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:21 PM

i think a procast/rod combo would be a bit cheaper than 150.. i bought my procaster for about 60 at le baron, i think its dropped to 50 now. its ok, i havent used it much though, too lazy to practise flipping and stuff.

you should consider getting some cheap line for it to start off, so when you backlash you dont have to throw away too much money.

#4 paw

paw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

I think it cost me $120-130 for the baitcaster and rod. Staff at BPS told me to start of with thicker diameter line minium of 12. diameter. Its easier to untangle birdnest and not easily to break the line when backlash occur, especially when you have an expensive lure on.

#5 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:04 PM

Yes...

I have seen Daiwa Procast/BPS rod combo
but there was only one on the shelf and it was right hand retrieve only.

Would have bought it if it was left.

#6 fonzi5150

fonzi5150

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

check out ebay, you can find some deals there. i bought my first baitcaster this past winter on there from a pro that had a bunch of Shimano stuff he was given for free. picked up a Cardiff model that retails at BPS for about $140 for $58 after shipping, brand new with no instructions which i downloaded from shimano's website.

#7 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

MikeyMikey, I used to always get pre-made combos, but then I started making my own combos cause I like a few other brands (other than Shimano), goto Lebarons & BPS, look for a good reel & rod or browse through some cataloques (LeBarons & Cabelas), some ppl prefer using different reels on other rods, trust me, you might be pleasently surprised. Ebay is excellent if you like shopping around for good deals on used or new stuff aswell as certain things that are very hard to find. The only thing I don't like about it, is that sometimes its hard to get warranties with certain items (ie: reels) unless otherwise mentioned, which is a total pain if theres a problem with it. But other than that, its quite useful.

#8 Black_Blade

Black_Blade

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:50 PM

I got an Abu Garcia baitcaster combo at Canadian Tire last year...it was the Ambassadeur low profile and a medium action one piece 6 foot rod. The ticket was $99. I am still working on learning to use it, but no complaints about the set up other than maybe the one piece rod is a bit of a pain at times. So if anything would get myself a 2 pc down the road a ways maybe.

I noticed last week that same combo is among the selection in the store this season, so you could go and check it out.

#9 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:22 PM

thanks for the info dude...

i've already got me a bps rod and daiwa setup.