• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

What ever leader you use,,, I think it will have some sort of negetive effect to the lure action.

(after thought from piking)

I personally used a 30lb wireleader along with my PowerPro 50lb. (at the time of purchase 50lb leader was sold out). But I am thinking maybe I really didn't need to go to 50lb leader.

When I put the wireleader and let the lure just sit on water, lure sinks head first due to weight of the leader. So I don't think it is such a good idea for suspend'able lure like Husky Jerk or any other lure which you can stop/pause the action. Maybe it won't be so bad if it wasn't for those swivels and snaps?

Since Braided Lines get cut more easily from rocks and sharper objects... maybe i should try out a HEAVY # flurocarbon which may not sink as fast as wireleader? than again those heavy florucarbon are thick and i think they'll sink as fast.

ah f'k it. i am just gonna use nylon coated wireleaders ;)

#2 Pigurd

Pigurd

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

just use no leaders, it will give you an excuse to buy more lures

#3 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

I sure am not gonna loose these expensive Rapalas.

I'll kill ;) the fish to get my lure back out of it's mouth if I have to.

#4 paw

paw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

try flurocarbon leaders probably lighter and probaby the equal or little less strength. Visibility are lower too. but ya got to learn to tie good fishing knots.

#5 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:41 AM

try flurocarbon leaders probably lighter and probaby the equal or little less strength. Visibility are lower too. but ya got to learn to tie good fishing knots.

I would say that you should pick a more abrasion resistant flourocarbon if you are going to use it as a leader... I read an in depth comparison of different brands of flourocarbon lines somewhere on the net, but I can't remember the site right now. The comparison included abrasion resistance if I remember correctly. I'll try to find the page.

*edit. OK I found the comparison*

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the link: http://www.tackletou...bontestpg4.html