Photo

Does anyone know what type of fish this is?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iamt_isuk

iamt_isuk

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:00 PM

My Husband and I were fishing today at Springbank Park in London Ont. My husband caught a fish aprox 4 lbs, we have no idea what it was. We have been searching the Net all night and cant find any info or pics of it, unfortunatly I dont have a picture of it either but this is the descrition as best as I can remember. It was white on the beely that faded to a dark purple as you got to the top, My husband had a good fight with it too. If anyone has any idea as to what this may be let me know. Thank-you[/b]

#2 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:35 PM

carp?
bowfin?
sucker?

bowfin is my best guess...they aren't caught too often, and many people don't know what the heck they are.

#3 iamt_isuk

iamt_isuk

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

Its definatly not one of them, Its body was to wide. We are thinking it may be a white bass but purple and with no lines on the side of the body.

#4 Pigurd

Pigurd

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:08 PM

are you sure it isnt a bowfin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowfin

they seem to match the colour of wat you caught... or maybe it was some released pet fish...

#5 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:41 PM

How was the shape of its body, and how big was it ? I'm thinking it might've been a freshwater-drum aka "Sheepshead fish", one of the lesser known fish like ie: bowfin, try looking it up, lots of them along the shores of Lake O., its quite possible that you caught one. If it isnt that, goto this PDF link below, fish identification chart:

http://www.mnr.gov.o... ... fr2005.pdf

Take a look at that link, and if its not there, ask yourself out of all the fish on that poster, which did it look closest too in terms of the shape of its body ?