Photo

Preston Lake access (Candian record LM bass lake) in GTA!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:15 AM

Preston Lake is a natural kettle lake from which the Canadian record LM Bass of 10.4 lbs was caught on August 1, 1974. This lake is located 5 minutes away from Lake Wilcox in Richmond Hill.

The problem is that all of the land surrounding this lake is privately owned and there are no public access points. Therefore the home-owners who live on Preston Lake have sole access to the fishing oppertunities on Preston Lake.

However, one of our board members (Pigurd) has pointed out that there is what appears to be some kind of river that connects to Preston Lake. If this is the case and if one can access the river on public property, one could legally navigate into Preston Lake with a canoe or a float tube.

Here is the map with the river circled. Please note that I have never seen this river myself, so I don't know if it's accessible or not. But it does appear to cross the road (Morgan Drive). Pigurd, is this the river you mentioned?

Posted Image

If we can verify this, we can get into Preston Lake and fish for some big bass this summer. I read that the average bass in there is up to 5 lbs!

#2 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:03 PM

Ok...

Utilizing Google Earth & it's updated image of maps you can really zoom in close to the point of seeing great detail of that area.

No, that is not a river but just a small stretch of that Lake.

But here is the good news.

Road above that lake is called North Rd. as some of you already know
and there is a smaller road called Morgan Road which leads into those homes.

AND it look like you can access that stretch of water from Morgan Rd.

Just make sure how much of those land around the lake is private.
By the looks of the surrounding area, it doesn't look like a private land but still find out the proper information via whoever/city? and make sure there aren't any signs that you miss when entering.

Good luck!

#3 wd40

wd40

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:00 PM

shouldn't this go in the gta section?

#4 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:14 PM

Well, it's technically not a report... just an idea. If and when any of actually go there and check it out, the results will be posted in the GTA reports section. That will have to wait till bass opener though since there's no pike in this lake.

#5 Pigurd

Pigurd

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:24 PM

i just looked at the google map of preston, never been around there...

should be perch in the lake....

#6 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:38 PM

Yup Pigurd, you are right, there are perch in there.

According to the "Pride and Preston Lake" website, the lake has LM bass, Perch, sunfish and bluegill.

They also state:

Some Catfish (brown bullhead) and White Sucker have also been spotted in the lake. However, Smallmouth Bass, Rock Bass, Northern Pike, Walleye (Pickeral), Muskie or other types of fish do not exist in Preston Lake.

#7 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:26 AM

Went by yesterday. NO ACCESS.that river is no river but marsh..not enough water to float and too much to walk, you would be up to yer nuts in swamp trying to get through..if you were able to keep your feet moving!
Morgan rd has no fishing signs all over.
Only hope is buying a 1.5 million dollar home!..or parachute.

#8 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:49 PM

Well...

There goes your hope of fishing that lake.

I guess a lot of people over the years have tried to enter the lake via Morgain Rd. for that 'No Fishing' sign to be spam'd all over.

#9 Pigurd

Pigurd

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

there is always waders... seems like too much effort though...

i wonder whats stopping someone from bringing in a 20lb california bass and throwing it in a lake for awhile to absorb all the native chemicals .. and then catching it and breaking the canadian record...

#10 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:23 PM

Actually if you go to the website , they are very protective of the little tresure they have there. All kinds of friendly reminders and rules to follow in order to keep the lake in shape.
**By the way ..Waders...no way you would never make it..cant wade or move to fast or far in mud/swamp.She be pretty thick.
ALSO (almost forgot) ANYONE on the lake MUST be attended by an owner of property there, No questions. ..one of the rules enforced on the website

#11 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:35 PM

Thanks Disspatcher for checking it out for us. I might be passing by that area later today... If I do, I'll post some pics of the marsh.

BTW, disspatcher congrats on the boat! Now that you're splurging, buy a digital camera! :) LOL

#12 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:40 PM

Actually if you go to the website , they are very protective of the little tresure they have there. All kinds of friendly reminders and rules to follow in order to keep the lake in shape.
**By the way ..Waders...no way you would never make it..cant wade or move to fast or far in mud/swamp.She be pretty thick.
ALSO (almost forgot) ANYONE on the lake MUST be attended by an owner of property there, No questions. ..one of the rules enforced on the website

The lake itself doesn't belong to them since it's natural, not man-made... So if you were somehow able to navigate through the marsh into the lake, there's nothing they can legally do about it. They own the shore, not the water.

You're right, they are very protective. They refer to it as "their lake", as though they own the lake, which isn't the case at all.

#13 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:16 AM

Yes you are 100% correct, it is a natural kettle lake, but the entire property aorund it is private, even the road to get to the river is private.But where there is a will there is a way! And a little 100 lb man with waders and long legs!
Cant wait for the 1st boat launching..got a dig.cam too, NOW just need lessons on how to use it! :D
Soon Openfire soon
:)

#14 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

OH, the road to get to the river is private? That changes everything. :)

If that's the case, then one would have to technically tresspass to access the lake via the river. That sucks.

BTW, what lake/s are you taking your boat on?

#15 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:44 AM

Well I really love Scugog Muskie!
But live close to simcoe as well. Would like to try Rice one day too.
Once I actually take ownership then we will figure it out

#16 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:17 PM

Well, I drove by Preston just to take a look.

There is a "private road" sign as disspatcher pointed out...

Here is the marsh on Morgan road that connects to the lake:

Posted Image

It looks like you could take a small inflatable throught there.

As for the "private road" sign, I've contacted the city of Markham to find out if indeed the road is privately owned... I'm just waiting for a call back from someone in the "roads department"

#17 Pigurd

Pigurd

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

maybe this will be the "goat path" that leads up behind the spartan army.

march looks nice, wonder if any bass is hanging around there

#18 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:08 PM

I just got off the phone with the city of Witchurch-Stouffville...

North Rd is private.
Lakeview Ave is private.
Abbotsford Rd is public.

#19 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

:D Boy you guys reallly wanna fish this lake :)
That marsh actually starts to thicken up as you follow it south to the lake.
So with openfires latest excursion I guess we are calling this Unattainable?

#20 Pigurd

Pigurd

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:53 PM

not if you get one of these: http://www.jetpackinternational.com/