Photo

Snypa... I have a question for making lures...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:00 AM

Hello there...

Well... it's not making lure question but a painting a spoon question.

In preparation for pier salmon fishing I would love to try those Glow-In-Dark paints that claim to stay glowing for hours!

Do you know if it actually stay Full Glow Brightness for hours? or is it some bull poop that'll glow at 100% for first 10minutes and like down to only 10% glow for upto 1 fake hours?

I would love to get my hands on those Full Brightness Glow in Dark for hours stuff.

Any info/ideas?

Thanks.

Maybe you can make some?

#2 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

A paint that glows in the dark for hours at full brightness would be simply amazing.

As you said, It's probably at 100% for the first few miuntes, then fades.

#3 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:50 PM

See... look at this...

Glow up to 10hours?

http://www.luremakin... ... _heat_.htm

what ya think?

#4 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

You have it pretty much figured out, glow-in the dark paints whether its powder or vinyl paint, loses its glow over time in the short-term and also in long-term if you don't constantly re-energize the paint.. But there are easy ways to re-engergize them while fishing, and if you like using them all the time, there are some ways to get around that problem. I forgot whether it was (lebarons or BPS?) that sells those little flash keychains in the fishing section specifically for re-energizing glow baits, saw it there a few times, almost bought one for this glow-in-the-dark mepps bait that I had. Never needed it back then because I ended up using this powerful saltwater aquarium light (florescent white-blue) that I had laying around, would just lay the bait under the light for 2 hours and it would glow all night. Lately I've actually been contemplating making a glow-in the dark spinnerbait for nightfishing. I might have to stop by and pick up one of those keychains, a friend of mine also mentioned to me once, that you can also use a disposable camera, it's a little more expensive but easier to find :)

here's another link, they're in the US, but they deliver quick.
http://www.jannsnetc...m/powder-paint/

#5 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:23 PM

It will literally glow all night long? at good brightness?

#6 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:32 AM

It will literally glow all night long? at good brightness?

That depends on your definition of "good brightness"...

I've found that most glow-in-the-dark spoons that I've used (cleos) will be very bright after flashing with a camera flash, but will fade after a few minutes... BUT they are still slightly visible in the dark for a long time after...

The real question is what brightness produceses the most hits at night? In my experience, many fish have hit cleos that haven't been flashed in a while and are quite dim.

#7 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

That's a good question Open-fire ! I think if its subtle enough you should be able to catch loads of fish, or maybe its the opposite effect and you could catch more fish with brighter glow. It could also be species dependent, like with bass they might prefer going after bright fast-moving glow-in-the-dark lures while trout go after subtle glow flash at night. I think I may have to try an experiment on that :)

mikeymikey, I was using a mepps glow-in-the-dark spniner, I'm not sure if the blade & lead body was powder or vinyl painted, so its hard to say. We went out for about 5 hrs of fishing that night (from 11pm-4am), it was glowing most of the night till the end it started dimming a bit. And keep in mind I also used a powerful 65 watt florescent lamp saltwater aquarium, very bright, that was key for making it last long. Just find a place in your apartment where it gets a lot of light, leave the lure there during the day and it should be fully-charged by night.