Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:25 PM

Those are awesome looking lures you've made.

#3 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback MikeMikey ! Luved using them !! just the other day I gave one to a good fishing buddy that happened to be in town from Atlanta, Georgia, he says he'll give them a try down there, I hope he catches a big bucket with it :D Hes already gone fishing with me while using them, caught a lot of bass with them up here, so I hope he can produce a few lunkers down there :) Btw, these were my 1st generation spinnerbaits from earlier this summer (sold them), originally made them for myself at first, but then my buddies wanted to buy a few lol, so I made more :D . I still have to post my newer spinners (took some pics yesterday) I just have to edit & upload the pics & and I'll post them. I need to update my site aswell :)

#4 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:32 PM

here's the newer (series 2) bait pics as promised:

DC-18 walleye edition (flo. yellow/white + 2 polished gold plated blades)
Posted Image

DC-18 (more white/ flo. yellow)
Posted Image

DC18-r (GT edition)
Posted Image

DC-18r (firetiger)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Devestator Gold (firetiger)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Devestator GT
Posted Image

Devestator (flo. yellow)
http://farm2.static...._a5e361541b.jpg

#5 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:48 PM

maybe you could post some pics while in the process of making?
dont care about blades, but how you atach the hook and make the head.

#6 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:42 PM

maybe you could post some pics while in the process of making?
dont care about blades, but how you atach the hook and make the head.

yeah I'll try to remember to take some pics when I build more, but when you ask about attaching hooks, you meant the spinner bait forms (leadhead) ? Rather than attaching them, you just place them in the lead mold to make that spinnerbait head. That includes the wire the hook & the leadhead, I like to buy them premade (some painted, some not), though you can make them yourself if you have a lot of time & some $$ for the tools ie: buy a lead melter (production pot), the lead mold for that type of spinnerbait form. they're called "Do-It" lead molds. Then there's the wiring or pre-bent wire forms which you can buy from many luremaking suppliers (especially for spinnerbaits), the lead molds have a hole on the side of it to put the wire form in place, so when you melt the lead using a Lee Production Pot, you just pour the lead into the mold, and after a few minutes you should have a spinnerbait form ready to be customized. If you really get into it (someone on TackleUnderground) and can even make you a custom machined lead mold, again thats advanced stuff & you have to pay a bit more but if you want a totally unique spinnerbait head, thats what you gotta do. Also if you have extra cash to play with that, you could also pay the CNC guy a bit more cash so you own the actual rights to the mold design aswell as the mold itself.

Also (for anyone else that stumbles on this thread) if you ever need to replace hooks on a jerkbait or a crankbait, invest in a decent split ring tool, for adding or changing bent or old hooks to heavier treble hooks. Very easy to use, and you can buy from a few online shops, Lurecraft, Cabelas,s and a few others.
http://www.lurecraft... ... iers-:1788

#7 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:01 AM

osteo, did that help.. ?

#8 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:17 PM

yes, i ordered some already made heads, just gonna dress them up and add the blades, thanks.

#9 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

Nice, glad I could help. :)

#10 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:45 PM

Snypa...

If you ever wanted to test out your spinners...

You should goto Bronte Pier early morning (opposite side of lighthouse) and do some salmon fishing. and around 7AM or so... start using your spinners for smallmouth as I have seen several s.mouth cruising around with by the pier wall.

#11 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:23 AM

Man those spinnerbaits look so nice.

#12 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the comments guys !! Mikeymikey, its funny you mention that cause I was sorta thinking the same thing, my neighbor which is a ex-flyfisher, was checking out my baits a few weeks back and mentioned to me that they might work on salmon at night. Couldn't believe it, it gave me the idea for that 1/8oz. glow spinner.

#13 billspipes

billspipes

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:22 PM

These look like some great lures!

I've been interested for a while on how to make them where to you get all the tools and parts?

#14 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

My problem with most spinner baits:

Have a look at the place you attache your line. Not many come with twisted/enclosed loops to attach to your line. You lose that first couple of feet when you start your retireve. And occasionaly you'll feel it running wrong as the line/attachement hasent slipped to the front and requires a quick pull to get it goin again.

I now ONLY purchase spinner baits with a enclosed front loop. Less head aches and less messed retrieves. None of the pix above have that, they SHOULD!

Spinnerbaits are wicked lures!

E.g of what I mean http://www.sovereign... ... rbaits.jpg

#15 kennyhman

kennyhman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:41 AM

My problem with most spinner baits:

Have a look at the place you attache your line. Not many come with twisted/enclosed loops to attach to your line. You lose that first couple of feet when you start your retireve. And occasionaly you'll feel it running wrong as the line/attachement hasent slipped to the front and requires a quick pull to get it goin again.

I now ONLY purchase spinner baits with a enclosed front loop. Less head aches and less messed retrieves. None of the pix above have that, they SHOULD!

Spinnerbaits are wicked lures!

E.g of what I mean http://www.sovereign... ... rbaits.jpg

definitely! whenever i go shopping for spinner baits, i always buy the ones with the loop. nonetheless, these spinner baits snyper made look amazing.

#16 billspipes

billspipes

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

If you tie directly to the spinnerbait you won't have to worry about the line slipping up.

#17 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

"definitely! whenever i go shopping for spinner baits, i always buy the ones with the loop. nonetheless, these spinner baits snyper made look amazing."

Forsure takes talent and patience to build your own lures good on you I was not bashing at all just passing a sudjestion along to close the eye's becasue some people prefer it.

"If you tie directly to the spinnerbait you won't have to worry about the line slipping up."

Geese you are a smart puppy arn't ya! hahahahaahahahaha

#18 billspipes

billspipes

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:36 AM

Common sense

#19 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

Snypa - when you go fishing, do you take along a bunch of diffenent colorado and willow blades and modify your spinnerbait to suit the conditions or species?

#20 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

As others have said, it could be more of a preference thing to eliminate line-slip, but I tend to look at the other attributes that I found in testing. You see before r-bend frames, there was only traditional looped/twisted eye spinnerbaits, about 5-10 years ago, some southern luremakers & tournament fishermen found that r-bend frames would actually self-correct the bait on freefall on any cast, this is especially important when finesse fishing for bass because this actually prevents line-tangles/foul-ups wasting valuable tourney fishing time. Aswell they found that because R-bend frames have a higher blade arm angle, that the blades would spin more freely. Since a lot of these bass guys didn't use leaders back with bass fishing, they just preferred tying it on, and ended up not twisting or looping the eye of a r-bend. Again, if you're a pike/muskie guy you'll probably prefer the twisted or looped V-shaped frames, and if you're a bass guy u'll want a R-bend frame for finesing bass. Personally I prefer using R-bend frames with my bass spinners (which make them helicopter nicely), but I'll use the stronger V-shaped frames with larger pike/muskie baits for obvious reasons, which I have been. There's pros & cons (attributes) with both, I'll list them out below and explain what I found out in initial research & actual testing & tuning sessions:

V-Shaped Frames (looped/twisted eyes):
- twisted/loop eye for pike/muskie leaders
- put outs less vibration, stronger frame
- less line slip, due to twisted/looped eye
- more foul-ups due to the blade arm being closer to the body
- heavy wire diameter

R-Bend Frames:
- self corrects in freefall, less line foul-ups
- blade arm & blades are further away from body, equaling more free spinning blades
- puts out more vibration, lighter frame (depending on wire diameter)
- does have a little bit line-slip
- usually come in lighter wire diameters, but can be custom made with stronger wire.

Also heres a quick tip, I never did this, but if you're using a leader and if you really want to turn/convert a r-bend into a spinnerbaits, just put a skirt collar over the bend or better yet you can also tie the bend with wire or thread.

Spinninreel, sometimes I will on a particular lure, after a test session I might modify the lure, but usually I won't do it there on the spot as I hate bringing all the tools & small parts with me etc, but what I'll do is experiment and take notes or write down descriptions of how the lure looked in the water, add ideas for a better parts or even better blade selections.