#1 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

Ok people....

Get your pier fishing gears ready...

It seems that few salmons are being caught from the pier with spoons on cooler nights.

Enjoy!

Anyone wanna buy my Shimano Convergence 10'0" Medium action two piece rod?

I want to get a Medium-Heavy action rod.

#2 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:27 PM

Can't wait ! When I was a kid, I used to watch ppl catching fish off the pier in Port Hope for years, never tried it myself but have always had interest in it.

As for the Convergence, thats a sweet rod. Do you really need to get rid of it ! You have other rods right ?!?! for bass season, if you use that MH on smaller fish, there will be no fight at all lol, cause its soo stiff, I have a MH musky compre rod, the rod is soo thick & stiff, purely made for bringing in BIG Fish, quickly !! While my other medium to ultra-light rods are a lot more sensitive, and you get wayy more fight with the smaler fish.

#3 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:38 AM

Sometimes you really do need to bring the fish in quick... I am sure you know that too.

Last year I was fighting a huge female salmon... I tried hard to pull it in fast but I just couldn't pull the fish in too much. I was wishing I had bit more backbone power to it.
It took looong to revive the fish? and it did swam away but it sure didn't look too good.

Maybe I'll just keep the rod and get a another rod.

#4 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:13 AM

since you guys started topic about salmons, help me out.
i have never cought salmon so pm me with your advice on rigs and any other ways to catch them
last year tried on marshmellow ... no luck

#5 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

Well.. Osteo, no need to PM.

#6 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

What you would want is... (for pier fishing)

a rod length of 8'6" ~ 10' Medium to Medium Heavy action rod...
Reel capable of holding about 200 years of 14lb line or so...
Variety of spoons to toss and hope to hook a salmon.

Most Importantly!!! Please do not ask other fishermen to use their nets. I personally HATE those who come to fish at the pier and doesn't bring a net. There is no way they'll bring up those heavy fish to pier which usually is about 5+ feet high.
So please do a one time investment on a larget net with long handle.

If you visit popular pier like Port Hope, you'll see some customized nets people bring. Sure a lot of them will let you use it net it but you could tell they are saying "loveing cheap nether orifice" in their mind. hehe,,, atleast that is what i think.

Here is my gear for pier fishing...

Shimano Convergence 9'0" Medium Power, Slow Action.
Daiwa Regal Xi 3500 (I love this reel! 11 ball bearing too)
Fishing lines I've used... PLine CXX 14lb. PowerPro 30lb.
Lucky Strike Net which extend upto 45" and it is short.

#7 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

Looking back to 2006...
Caught on Rapala J13

Posted Image

#8 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:10 PM

Sometimes you really do need to bring the fish in quick... I am sure you know that too.

Last year I was fighting a huge female salmon... I tried hard to pull it in fast but I just couldn't pull the fish in too much. I was wishing I had bit more backbone power to it.
It took looong to revive the fish? and it did swam away but it sure didn't look too good.

Maybe I'll just keep the rod and get a another rod.

Sorry man I shoulda worded that better, what I meant to say in my last post was, get a MH salmon rod, but don't get rid of the medium convergence if it already works well with you, especially when bass season comes around again, it beats having to go out & buy another rod again. As for power-ratio with fish, I figured you already knew that, I was just worried you were selling a perfectly good bass rod :)

Also with nets, I went out & bought a nice rubberized bass net last winter, it works well, but I ran into a problem lasttime i went downtown with it lol, was targeting LM bass, wasn't expecting to run into some pike !! The fish I almost caught would've been way too big for it.. note to anyone reading this: when you buy your first net, make sure you buy a net with a big enough hoop :) .

#9 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:57 PM

No No No...

This Shimano Convergence is 10'0" rod which I bought to fish for salmon.
This sure isn't a bass rod.

Do YOU? use 10' rod for bass?

For my other fishing I like my 7' Ugly Stick Lite.

So anywyas... do you know any good quality Medium-Heavy Spinning rod I can use for casting lures ? Only ones I see in stores are all 8'6". I kinda want something longer... like 9'6" or so but anything longer than 8'6" is either medium or light, noodle.
Maybe I should just get 8'6" MH.

Anyone know where I can buy a Ugly Stick Medium Heavy 8'6" spinning rod ?

#10 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

No No No...

This Shimano Convergence is 10'0" rod which I bought to fish for salmon.
This sure isn't a bass rod.

Do YOU? use 10' rod for bass?

I would if i could :) I would want to see if I could cast further. Btw, when I hear the name "Convergence" I automatically think of affordable bass rods since that's the majority of the series consists of, I've heard of there being Convergence rainbow-trout/steelheading rods, but I didn't know they were steelhead/salmon rods ? or could double as salmon rods !? you would think they're too light for pier fishing by just looking at the line weight & power/action. I checked out shimano.com earlier, they don't even have those steelheading/salmon rods listed yet or maybe theyre just for Canada ?

update: just went to lebaron.ca, check this pdf out, look at the uglystick lite graphite rods at the top of the page, MDS1186-2MH (downrigger version), are you baitcasting or use a spinning reel ? next time you're in there check it out !

http://www.lebaron.c... ... ystick.pdf

#11 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:42 PM

i have ugly stick light SPS 1186-2M, on theirr website it says its for salmon/steelhead
http://www.shakespea... ... lite.shtml
i also use it for carp fishing
anyway i think any rod can handle a big fish, its depends on experience of the person who holds it, drag adjustment...... you know what i mean.
i saw people pulling out big salmon with a 6ft rod combo from walmart that sells for $30.

#12 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:07 PM

Well having a long rod sure does help me cast lures further.

I guess one single thing I do not like about my rod is... its slow action (entire rod bending).

#13 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:35 PM

agree about the length 100%, im looking myself for a rod to use for casting 3/4 to 1oz slip sinker, maybe around 12ft, you guys know any i should look into ?

#14 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

well...

It seems that anything over 10'0" will be Light-Power rods.

Maybe you should buy mine.

I still want to get something little more stiff.

Remember,,, longer rod does help cast further BUT it still requires that nice flex from the rod to really help boost and shoot that lure out.

#15 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:50 AM

FYI
Guys out on the piers chucking lures...I think you still might be a few weeks early...or at least a good rainfall away anyway.
All fish being caught approx 10k out, 120 fow .....might be a while till ya see them cruising by the peirs!

Tight Lines

#16 toronto_angler

toronto_angler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:49 AM

Water temps are starting to come down with the cooler nights. Next week should see some cooler temps which should kick start the pier action.

#17 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:08 PM

Can't wait !! that reminds me, I also need to get a longer net, doh ! :)

#18 toronto_angler

toronto_angler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:34 AM

Can't wait !! that reminds me, I also need to get a longer net, doh ! :)

Same here, I learned that firsthand while trying bring up a pike over a break wall with my hands. A line snap is the worst sound you can hear at that point.

#19 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:00 AM

Oh man... i think I'll pick one up next week :)

#20 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:40 PM

i think BassProShop had a BIG loop net with upto 96' extension handle... $50 or 60.

Maybe it was LeBaron...

one of those did have a big net with super long EXTENDING handle for around that price.

mine only extend to 48" ... LOL