24 replies to this topic

#1 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

Howdy.

Hey Snypa, I am just wondering if you had a chance to get out to harbour for some fishing on monday? Weather was beautiful on monday. Than... next day and on... we had butt load of snow :D

Anyways,,, I am just wondering when do ice start to crack and melt around shores of Lake Ontario? (Harbourfront)
Late April? (that would suck).

I should really visit AshbridgeBay and see how it is there.. probably all ice due to water being covered in-bay.

#2 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:02 PM

I would also like to know... anyone been down there yet?

#3 sharper

sharper

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

I might head downtown try for some pike this friday morning.

#4 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:01 AM

I hear that Bluffers Park is good too.

#5 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:56 AM

I might head downtown try for some pike this friday morning.

Please give us an update if you do go. Thanks.

I hear that Bluffers Park is good too.

Any more info on Bluffers?

#6 toronto_angler

toronto_angler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:15 AM

Bluffers used to be god for PIke. Last couple of years there has been nothing though. Not sure what happened down there but it's a wasteland for fish.

#7 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

Last year while attempting to fish for salmon at Bluffers, i would spot the occasional dink pike. This was also the case at Ashbridges Bay. Lots of small pike hiding in the weeds, however, I am unsure of how the action is in the spring after ice out :D.

#8 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

Howdy.

Hey Snypa, I am just wondering if you had a chance to get out to harbour for some fishing on monday? Weather was beautiful on monday. Than... next day and on... we had butt load of snow :D

Anyways,,, I am just wondering when do ice start to crack and melt around shores of Lake Ontario? (Harbourfront)
Late April? (that would suck).

Yeah I was a planning on heading down today, but the weather forecast changed etc a day earlier, its too windy & cold, so it was a no-go :D As for the ice, it should be gone within a month or two, as soon as we start getting more of those 5-10+ degree early spring humid days, it will probably melt quick. But for now, if we get lucky and theres a quick warm-up before the end of march, take advantage of it !

#9 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

Hey Snypa, when you say take advantage of it, do you mean find the ice-free open spots and start casting? or wait till all the ice is gone?

#10 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:31 AM

Ice Free Area + Green Weeds + A lot of luck ?

#11 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:47 PM

pretty much !! That's all you can do for now until more ice is cleared, but remember, all you need is a good warm-spell for at least a solid few days or even better a week, which could easily clear a lot of that ice quickly. Its kinda like all these snow storms we've been getting, after every storm, we usually get a typical spring rain & humidity warm-spell, and a lot of all that snow melts quick, saves the city loads of $$$$ in plowing. I think that applies here, lets just hope we can get some warmer weather sooner rather than later :D

#12 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

Drove along the harbour front this morning and I have to say that 95%+ of the ice are gone.
Inner bay areas are still somewhat covered by ice which seems to be melting... as I can hear cracking sound.
Posted Image

#13 ght

ght

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

is that picture east of downtown? and where abouts along the harbour front do you guys go fishing? by the ship yards or.....?

#14 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:50 AM

darn Mike, that's an awesome photo.. what camera are you using?

Good news too. Can't wait to wet some lures.

#15 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:15 AM

Cool.

It's my phone camera (Sony Ericsson W810i)

I think SE have the best quality camera of them all.

#16 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:47 AM

ohhh...
i thought you were carrying around an SLR camera or something.
I also have an SE phone... a k790. 3.2 mp camera. I take all my fishing pics with it haha.

#17 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:00 AM

Wow that is a nice picture for a camera phone. I just bought a new camera last week for my fishing pics (cannon power shot) and I'm in the market for an SLR for my vacation pics (cannon digital rebel)... :D I didn't realize that camera phones were that good.

#18 sharper

sharper

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:37 AM

I use to have the w810i it was great phone.Upgraded to the K850i and the G600 both 5mp camera phones. Was unhappy with the interface so now I'm using a blackberry, camera is alrite.

#19 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

Screw the regular cameras :) get an underwater camera !!! Already took a bit of underwater video this past fall/winter but I'm already jonesin to get out there this spring with waders & do some more filming of strikes & hits, lure action etc, should be a lot of fun. I'm not sure if I've ever posted this, but it got me into film-making + i did a bit of video editing at seneca (final cut pro), I actually made a few vids of my test sessions/lure trials this past fall down at the harborfront & islands. Had to take very short underwater vids at the time, since I didn't have a 2 gigabyte SD card, well.. I finally bought it at TigerDirect , so now I can take extra long vids ! I also ended up taking it off my site since I was mostly doing solo filming which equals bad cameras angles & filming lol, not good for promo vids LOL, I'll be making a better trailer this year :)

(music: Moby - Natural Blues)
... re=related (music: Hip-Hop)

View on Vimeo.

(music: Hip-Hop)

#20 Guest_ontariocarper_*

Guest_ontariocarper_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

Do you make those spinner baits? or is there somewhere I can purchase them? What is the skirt made of?

I actually seen similar baits on ebay by a Canadian seller, thats why I'm asking if you make them.

Daniel
OCH