#1 the_skdster

the_skdster

Sunfish

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:35 AM

My apologies if I have posted in the wrong sub-forum. :D

Hi guys!
No one in the family except my uncle casts a line. He lives so far away that I never get to see him much.
I've only ever gone fishing twice in my life so far. Both times with my uncle.
No one else cares to fish so time dragged on... :mrgreen:

Now things are about to change!
I've finally gotten my own car and the world is finally my oyster! Oh, sweet FREEDOM!

*ahem* back on topic.
So now that I can fish all I want most whenever I want I started looking up the different ways to fish, reels, rods, etc.
darn, there is a lot I need to learn, even some of the basics seem daunting!
I was looking for a few local ponds in the GTA to fish at when I stumbled upon a site and say a post that linked me here.
It was meant to be I tell you! A sign from above! (or some place far,far away :D )

So what I want to say is hello! I hope to be well part of this rich GTA community board and promise to make my posts as lively as I can! :D

**Just got my conservation fishing license yesterday. :D
*** Has no gear except an awful spinning reel, some 100yards of 8lb line, a few bobbers, hooks that look too big and some YUM walleye grub (bought it in the excitement of finally being able to fish on my own, lol. I know...)
****Looking to buy a decent combo for a beginner. Looking to spend $40-60. Will spend more as I get more knowing of the hobby.

Yes, I know it is 3:30am. 8-D

#2 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

The best combo I have seen for the newbie would be the Ugly Stick by Shakespear.(I thnk Crappy tire even sells a combo)
Rod is senstive enough where you will know/feel the bite and the rod itself in indestructable!

You may find better deals, but you wont find a more sturdy rod than the Ugly.
You really only need the Medium Ultra Lite for bass ect. but they offer all sizes.
my 2 cents
Diss

#3 the_skdster

the_skdster

Sunfish

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

The best combo I have seen for the newbie would be the Ugly Stick by Shakespear.(I thnk Crappy tire even sells a combo)
Rod is senstive enough where you will know/feel the bite and the rod itself in indestructable!

You may find better deals, but you wont find a more sturdy rod than the Ugly.
You really only need the Medium Ultra Lite for bass etc. but they offer all sizes.
my 2 cents
Diss

Thank you for the reply!
What Shakespeare Combo would you recommend? There seem to be a lot available on the BPS website.
Will look into ugly sticks the next time I head into BPS. I'm happy that I live less than 15mins away. :D
I saw a SHIMANO combo the last time I was there.
$69. The reel was a SideStab 2500RE methinks. Don't know about the rod.

Think this is it:
PSI25RESJ66M2 SI2500RE SJS66M2 6'6" Medium Fast 2 6/200, 8/140, 10/120 5.2:1 3 BB, 1 RB
Graphite Composite Rod Blank
Rear Drag

I hope there are others who want to welcome me as well... :mrgreen:

#4 Bvillefish

Bvillefish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

two of my friends picked up ugly stiks, both been fishing for a few years now, and both love them. not a bad deal $50 at crappy tire (so probably less at bass pro) pick up a decent reel and your set

#5 the_skdster

the_skdster

Sunfish

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

two of my friends picked up ugly stiks, both been fishing for a few years now, and both love them. not a bad deal $50 at crappy tire (so probably less at bass pro) pick up a decent reel and your set

Thats the problem.
Since I'm new to this, I have no clue what a "decent" spinning reel be.
Any recommendations?

#6 Bvillefish

Bvillefish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

well they bought an abu garcia one from canadian tire (at the same time they got the rods) i think he said it was between $40-$50.

i'm in the same boat as you. But im getting the rod/reel combo thats on sale at CT this week, half off from $80. check out my thread about it.

#7 the_skdster

the_skdster

Sunfish

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

well they bought an abu garcia one from canadian tire (at the same time they got the rods) i think he said it was between $40-$50.

i'm in the same boat as you. But im getting the rod/reel combo thats on sale at CT this week, half off from $80. check out my thread about it.

I read your thread, thanks.
But I was thinking that it would be better if I spent the extra $20-$30 and got a SHIMANO combo fro $70. From BPS.
OR get an Ugly stick and a decent reel for around that same price.

Thank you for your input though. Appreciate it. :mrgreen:

#8 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

i have 2 ugly stiks and 3 ugly stik lites, got addicted after first one ...lol
i would skip bps and go to lebarons, guys there would help you more and their prices are lower than in bps.

#9 Bvillefish2

Bvillefish2

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

ya like my buddy Jeff, (Bvillefish), said I bought a Ugly Stick Lite 6'6'' it's the best rod I have yet to use. Good price for a good rod. Strong and sensitive!

#10 idesign

idesign

Perch

• Active Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

My apologies if I have posted in the wrong sub-forum. :D

Hi guys!
No one in the family except my uncle casts a line. He lives so far away that I never get to see him much.
I've only ever gone fishing twice in my life so far. Both times with my uncle.
No one else cares to fish so time dragged on... :mrgreen:

Now things are about to change!
I've finally gotten my own car and the world is finally my oyster! Oh, sweet FREEDOM!

*ahem* back on topic.
So now that I can fish all I want most whenever I want I started looking up the different ways to fish, reels, rods, etc.
darn, there is a lot I need to learn, even some of the basics seem daunting!
I was looking for a few local ponds in the GTA to fish at when I stumbled upon a site and say a post that linked me here.
It was meant to be I tell you! A sign from above! (or some place far,far away :D )

So what I want to say is hello! I hope to be well part of this rich GTA community board and promise to make my posts as lively as I can! :D

**Just got my conservation fishing license yesterday. :D
*** Has no gear except an awful spinning reel, some 100yards of 8lb line, a few bobbers, hooks that look too big and some YUM walleye grub (bought it in the excitement of finally being able to fish on my own, lol. I know...)
****Looking to buy a decent combo for a beginner. Looking to spend $40-60. Will spend more as I get more knowing of the hobby.

Yes, I know it is 3:30am. 8-D

Man, you can fish. Great,I am going for few days for steelhead but no luck so far.

#11 Guest_ontariocarper_*

Guest_ontariocarper_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:24 PM

Hi and welcome the_skdster. The ugly stick is the way to go for a starter, as everyone mentiond above.

The reel is the biggest fishing tool, don't cheap out, but don't spend too much. You want something that will take on most fish, but not break down first fish. I placed a few links to the BPS site, each links are personal suggestions for a reel, but again just a suggestion. Remeber there in US $. I think they have all these reels in BPS Vaughan. I live like 2 mins from BPS, if you want help chooseing give me a shout.

http://www.basspro.c... ... 00_100-1-2

This is my personal Fav.

This is an ok reels for starters.

Hope this helps,
Daniel
OCH

#12 the_skdster

the_skdster

Sunfish

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

Hi and welcome the_skdster. The ugly stick is the way to go for a starter, as everyone mentiond above.

The reel is the biggest fishing tool, don't cheap out, but don't spend too much. You want something that will take on most fish, but not break down first fish. I placed a few links to the BPS site, each links are personal suggestions for a reel, but again just a suggestion. Remeber there in US $. I think they have all these reels in BPS Vaughan. I live like 2 mins from BPS, if you want help chooseing give me a shout.

This is my personal Fav.

This is an ok reels for starters.

Hope this helps,
Daniel
OCH

Thank you ontariocarper!
If I ever need major help, being the newbie that I am, I'll give you a holler! :mrgreen:
*busily checks out links*

Thank you all for your input so far! I feel well-welcomed here! :D

#13 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

Welcome to Ontario Fishing Forums!

#14 the_skdster

the_skdster

Sunfish