Photo

What size Pike and Bass are in Valens conservation?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:16 AM

in one of the forums someone mentioned valens conservation area,just wondering if anybody can comment on the average size of the fish there. im a 2 week old member and have learned a great deal of usefull info. i just want to thank you guys.

ps. sorry about previous posts being all capitals..... i didn't know

#2 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:52 PM

http://www.conservat... ... valens.asp

Never been there but this page has some info!

#3 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:55 PM

I think you should visit there when season is opened and give us the update :)

#4 Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

I think you should visit there when season is opened and give us the update :)

will do....was just trying to get an idea of what to expect from someone who has fished there...

#5 pogon02

pogon02

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

Read the "LOOKING FOR NEW FISHING HOLE" Post on this forum someone mentioned that they lost some nice pike due to the fact that they did not have a wire leader

#6 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

Read the "LOOKING FOR NEW FISHING HOLE" Post on this forum someone mentioned that they lost some nice pike due to the fact that they did not have a wire leader

I've read somewhere else that Valens is suppose to be good for decent size pike.

#7 ght

ght

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

sounds good maybe in may ill give you guys an update

#8 Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

I've read the post because i started it...I was trying to get a more accurate answer like 35 inches or 30 inches,40 inches(that would be sweet)....

responces like nice size and descent size?????? what size is that??????????????????

#9 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:03 AM

I've read the post because i started it...I was trying to get a more accurate answer like 35 inches or 30 inches,40 inches(that would be sweet)....

responces like nice size and descent size?????? what size is that??????????????????

In my opinion a decent size would be 20"-35".

#10 Barrakkuda

Barrakkuda

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:49 PM

As a young man living in Hamilton I've fish there many times and one time (1983?)I 've hooked pike which then bit me off ,taking (no leader)spinnerbait with it and the pike was easily 30-35+ inches(10+ lbs?) since I got him less then 4 feet from my boat-he took 1 look at me and snap his head and goodbye.Also later I took my little sister fishing and being a little sister she wanted to use the "cute" jitterbug-humouring her, I let her use it with her cheapie spincast outfit.we were fishing off the bridge,very bright August day,very hot(90deg.F +),I the sophisticated angler beat the water to a froth and got nothing>then i heard a HUGE splash where my sister was and i thought she had fallen in-no...she had enticed and hooked a very big pike(since we were only a feet from the water I could easily see that it was as big or even bigger then the one I had lost earlier)It looked at us -I tried to reel it in-she had no leader,6lb test line-goodye mister pike!
Valens has small "hammerhandles" aplenty-especially after a good year spawn but I can tell you personally that there are big ones there-also check out the yearly Valens fishing derby-IIRC one year an angler landed an 181/5 lb pike ???!!! :wink:

#11 McLean

McLean

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hey, I fished Valens Last year, its a pretty nice place. I took my wife and entered the derby for bass and had some luck with a few small bass, but the pike are their. I would say the average would be 4lb and up. I suggest renting a conoe, or paddle boat if you more comfortable. Its a pretty big lake, and if you dont mind moving around you can find alot of cover near shore, like submerged trees, and some really heavy weed beds.
Good luck man hope this helps
p.s. the boats were like $20 for the day which is very reasonable

#12 Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:14 PM

Thanks to Barrakkuda and McLean your responses are exactly what I was looking for thanks.I will try there when the season gets underway, and let everyone know how it goes. thanks

#13 Barrakkuda

Barrakkuda

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

Unfortuneatly Valens is a fish sanctuary and doesn't open for fishin until-IIRC June 22nd or so as this allows the LM bass to complete their spawn -too bad as the early pike might be very good as the really large ones ones stay shallow and recuperate after their earlier spawn.The bluegill sunfish there can be excellent-my mother once caughta 1lb.+ monster off the bridge that looked all blueblack and could have been from the deep American south-it hit her worm as soon as it hit the water-like a LM bass-good fight too. :twisted:

#14 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

big problem with valens is the heavy fishing pressure it gets each year. they closed the ice fishing there this past winter to allow the panfish to repopulate. i have never seen any monster fish caught from there, but u know, as was stated, there are some monsters hiding there. i;m gonna try it this year as i ahve only fished there once years ago. lots of these small lakes around here hold some really nice fish, binbrook conservation area for example has a nice population of crappie and LM and SM bass, walleye and pike, but, due to over fishing they have diminished. but they're makin a come back. over the winter a few pike were caught, a 4lb smallie and a 7lb walleye. get out there and fish ppl, u never know where the next trophy is hiding!

#15 McLean

McLean

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:08 PM

While BinBrook has been brought up, does anyone know if their are rentals their? I am landlocked and wanted to fish that conservation are but I know I will be limited to the area I can go on shore, and would love to try fomr some walleye. Thnx in advance
Chris

#16 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:20 AM

i believe they rent canoes. but i'm not totally sure. u can call the area and ask them. they do not open till may for fishing though. also not gas motors are permitted in the lake, electric only. but, if ur willing to walk, there is tons of area to fish. it is the largest inland lake in the niagara water shed.

#17 McLean

McLean

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

Nice thnx UglyFish, ya I've drove past it before but never really though of fishing it, I though their would not be anything worth while inside. But i am looking forward to trying it out this summer.
Thnx again for the info
Chris

#18 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

anytime mclean! i;m supposed to be gettin a canoe from a buddy this week, when u decide to go out, the park opens may 1st, let me know, maybe we can get out and try to entice a few fish into eating!

#19 McLean

McLean

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

Sounds good man, I will definatley keep in touch. Im looking at a pretty reasonablly priced Zodiac which would be nice on open water. Either way we will set something up for sure.
Talk to you soon, thnx again
Chris

#20 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:17 PM

lookin forward to it chris!