• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 kennyhman

kennyhman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

i usually use the half blood knot, but it tends to slip after a while if it wasn't done tightly

#22 ght

ght

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

if im using a blood knot it has never slipped on me but i dont know what its called. i call it the fishing knot lol . all my buddies tie the same way too.

what about you guys what do you use and if possible instructions on how to do it with an illustration .

#23 billspipes

billspipes

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

Wanna see a cool knot you can do in a hurry?

Check out this link dalton jones does one in 12 seconds or something like that.

http://www.lurenet.c...=WM_MediumSpeed

#24 kennyhman

kennyhman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:14 PM

neat video!

#25 billspipes

billspipes

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

Yeah that knot will work well for most things obviously for allot of other things you'd just use a palomar knot but great for spinnerbaits and crankbaits if you don't use snaps like myself.

#26 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:52 PM

Wanna see a cool knot you can do in a hurry?

Check out this link dalton jones does one in 12 seconds or something like that.

http://www.lurenet.c...=WM_MediumSpeed

I like the fact that the knot is simple. I'll give it a try.

#27 HyperFox

HyperFox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:30 AM

I use a modified hangmans noose..

Through the leader, up to my hand and around the thumb to make a noose, then back down into my hand. make another loop a the bottom. open you hand then spin the loose peice around the 3 sections of line you have. Spin 8 times. Go through the bottom loop, then the top and pull taunt.

Never broken at the knot for me!

#28 kennyhman

kennyhman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:35 AM

Through the leader, up to my hand and around the thumb to make a noose, then back down into my hand. make another loop a the bottom. open you hand then spin the loose peice around the 3 sections of line you have. Spin 8 times. Go through the bottom loop, then the top and pull taunt.

it's kind of like a uni knot right?

#29 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

Using a palomar is faster and simpler and it works well.

#30 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

Seaguar knot for main line to leader!

Can even do it with eyes closed in seconds.

Than again... I've never caught big enough fish to test my knots :D

#31 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

Do you feel safe tying a knot on a split ring? as split ring can have that sharper? part to it.

Also, what type of knot do you people use when using lures body lures which does not have a split ring and need that free movement? Rapala knot? or do you just put on a small split ring and tie to that ?

#32 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

Do you feel safe tying a knot on a split ring? as split ring can have that sharper? part to it.

Also, what type of knot do you people use when using lures body lures which does not have a split ring and need that free movement? Rapala knot? or do you just put on a small split ring and tie to that ?

Rapala knot is good, but if yiu use a split ring, get the oval ones and then you don't have to worry about the line touching the sharp edge.

#33 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:02 AM

half blood knot is my choice

Use what you know best, redo often.

I also use a swivel/attachment so I can swap out lures easy. I know some of you will say for finesse fishing can't have that but I'll tell ya why I do that now learned the hard way.

Ever buy a brand new lure put it on take the cast without checking the knot and see the baby go flying. FRIG ^*&$%

Not to mention those days your fingers are froze solid and can barely bend.

Last Tip: When making any knot moisten the line, it helps everything slip into place better and something else I read but can't remember now,

#34 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:08 AM

hahaha YAWN.

That happen to me several times.
Back when I first started playing around with a baitcaster... even tho I had PowerPro 50lb on it... I did a cast but some how I had a bad kink in the reel and snap goes a brand new xrap.

Also, lost few new glow in dark spoons during salmoning when i tried so hard to make that foot longer cast.

#35 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:01 PM

I also use a swivel/attachment so I can swap out lures easy. I know some of you will say for finesse fishing can't have that but I'll tell ya why I do that now learned the hard way.

Ever buy a brand new lure put it on take the cast without checking the knot and see the baby go flying. FRIG ^*&$%

Last Tip: When making any knot moisten the line, it helps everything slip into place better and something else I read but can't remember now,

Don't you find that the snap swivel to swap lures is unreliable? It doesn't take much for the clip to not properly hook into place and bingo - you've lost your lure.

#36 kennyhman

kennyhman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

Don't you find that the snap swivel to swap lures is unreliable? It doesn't take much for the clip to not properly hook into place and bingo - you've lost your lure.

i've started using them for the past 2 years i've been fishing. the swivel has never failed me. you have to check every few casts to see if the clip is in place.

#37 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

I have also seen where for no apparent reason, the snap has popped open and you have to reclose it. If a fish were on, you would have lost the fish.

#38 kennyhman

kennyhman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:31 PM

I have also seen where for no apparent reason, the snap has popped open and you have to reclose it. If a fish were on, you would have lost the fish.

wow thats interesting.. i've never seen that happen before. usually the snap would be open if you're not aware that you didn't snap it back in place after switching lures.. then that would suck.

#39 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

"Don't you find that the snap swivel to swap lures is unreliable? It doesn't take much for the clip to not properly hook into place and bingo - you've lost your lure."

Like anything else you pay for what you get, go buy a 99c pack of swivels and your trusting a few pennies to hold a 10 bux lure. No no. Spend some coin on something decent a few dollars at least.

Most important thing though no matter what, re tie everything often. The last thing you want is a nice fish on with frayed line about to snap!

#40 HyperFox

HyperFox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:55 AM

Depends on the swivel too. I use swivels.

The hooks with the brass middle:
http://www.northland... ... il&_ID=309
are junk. They break open easily and fish and lure depart!

I use:
http://www.eangler.c... ... Bciswivels
(The smaller version of it)
More expensive but what Ive found is if they do anything at all, the hook slides down the shaft over the lure's eyelet.