• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

I Checked Keswsick and Bradford today. I didn't fish, just checked out the action. NADDA. Just sunfish and catfish being caught. I guess it's too warm. Aparently the action was good on Thursday.

#2 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

Report like that deserve 0 out of 100 !

#3 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

I was there friday, action was poor, heard different stories regarding thrursday, some said good, some said bad.
Wednesday was good, hence chibi's report, tuesday was so-so.
In my experience, it's too early for the spawn to be over, unless the Simcoe crappie population seriously suffered. Ice hasn't even been out for long. It's the recent climb in temps way above average that are keeping them out in my opinion.
I actually think the main spawn is actually occuring now... you just have to be there at the right time. In the mornings (5-9am), there are LOTS of crappie being caught. If you take a walk and look into people's buckets/coolers, you can see the shear number of crappie being landed. Even on friday when the action was piss poor for me and chibs, we took a stroll and saw that many people in DIFFERENT spots caught decent amounts. We like to stick to our spot and not move around much, frankly because if we move, that spot gets taken. I think if we shifted, we would've had more success, but space is limited. There are areas that produce more than others, and this changes daily.

Another thing to note is that annually, there is a time when all the crappie seem to be dinks. There are hundreds of them, but they are ALL small. Right now, all the ones being landed are very decent in size. On friday I saw pretty much the biggest crappie of my life being landed. Good 14-15 inches. It curled up inside the guys bucket.
In my experience, the larger fish come in first, followed by the smaller, younger fish.

There is still more to be had, but I don't know how long that will last. Could be a few days.

#4 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:01 PM

how many can survive from all those hooks in the water ? darn crappie have crappy life.

#5 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:05 PM

yeah i know...it's crazy.
but you have to consider how prolific crappie are. they are spreading like a plague. now being caught in lakes that no one knew they existed in.
I believe they are reaching upwards towards minden/haliburton area now.

#6 chibi

chibi

Sunfish

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:08 PM

yeah i know...it's crazy.
but you have to consider how prolific crappie are. they are spreading like a plague. now being caught in lakes that no one knew they existed in.
I believe they are reaching upwards towards minden/haliburton area now.

seriously, frozenfire is the bible to nature and wildlife
this is not even a joke
and he is a human navigation system too

#7 kennyhman

kennyhman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:45 AM

a couple of my friends were fishing down by canal road on saturday. they just called me a couple hours ago, asking if i wanted to go with them tomorrow (even though they know i'm studying for exams, good friends eh?). to my surprise, they caught at least 25-30 decent sized crappie, but including the small sized crappie, they estimated around 50-60 total. i asked them where and they said that they've been walking up and down canal road just after the exit off 400. action slowed down just after 1pm (they were there at around 10am). i'm so tempted to just drop my books to go crappie fishing now :).

#8 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:03 PM

Fishing 1st
School 2nd

#9 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

Fishing 1st
School 2nd

words i live by, hahaha :twisted:

#10 kennyhman

kennyhman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

Fishing 1st
School 2nd

i wish hahah

#11 chibi

chibi

Sunfish

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:25 PM

a couple of my friends were fishing down by canal road on saturday. they just called me a couple hours ago, asking if i wanted to go with them tomorrow (even though they know i'm studying for exams, good friends eh?). to my surprise, they caught at least 25-30 decent sized crappie, but including the small sized crappie, they estimated around 50-60 total. i asked them where and they said that they've been walking up and down canal road just after the exit off 400. action slowed down just after 1pm (they were there at around 10am). i'm so tempted to just drop my books to go crappie fishing now :x.

that's crazy!
hopefully when you're done exams they'll still be around for you to catch :twisted:
and in monster size!

#12 kennyhman

kennyhman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:50 PM

i can only hope lol.

btw, no strike! :twisted:

#13 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

By the time all of us are done at St. George, kawartha crappies are going to be in full force!!!!
But then at the same time, pike will have just reopened. Lots of choices!

#14 ght

ght

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:10 PM

lol for me its work first fishing second. if it wasnt for working there would be no money for gas, rods, lures etc etc.

but yeah when i was a student definitly fishing then school. lol.

#15 flash_kid

flash_kid

Sunfish

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:15 PM

Oh man I drive by the 400 and Canal Road everyday for work and I feel so disappointed cause I see the river twice a day and can't fish it :twisted: .

Anyone know what other species are in that water?

Flash

#16 kennyhman

kennyhman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:00 PM

Oh man I drive by the 400 and Canal Road everyday for work and I feel so disappointed cause I see the river twice a day and can't fish it :twisted: .

Anyone know what other species are in that water?

Flash

the occasional catfish. they're really small sized; i've never seen a big one caught in that water though.

#17 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:16 AM

The River is loaded with fish depending on where you want to wet a line.
You can slay the slabs all night long under the bridges. There are 20lb+ carp, catfish/bullhead, pike.(one reason you make not be getting crappie...) smallnouth bass,perch,suckers and I wouldnt be surprised if you found the odd Bluegill or Rock BAss.

Take you pic!

#18 flash_kid

flash_kid

Sunfish

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

The River is loaded with fish depending on where you want to wet a line.
You can slay the slabs all night long under the bridges. There are 20lb+ carp, catfish/bullhead, pike.(one reason you make not be getting crappie...) smallnouth bass,perch,suckers and I wouldnt be surprised if you found the odd Bluegill or Rock BAss.

Take you pic!

Mind sharing which bridge you are referring to or any good spots to wet a line? I just might try my luck there!

Thanks,

Flash

#19 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

Depending where you are coming from.You can start Hwy 400 & Canal Rd. Start there and East towards Yonge St. ******If you dont know the road GO SLOW! Very bendy, few people have lost thier lives drowning in the canal quite recently.**********
Find bends inthe road where its safe to stop and throw out a line. Keep in mind of whos property you are on, some ppl dont like visitors.

#20 flash_kid

flash_kid

Sunfish

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:26 PM

Thanks disspatcher!