• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

well, this is my first post, lookin forward to a lot more posting here. i've been a menber for a bit, but haven't been active on the board till now. so, here we go.

i went out on 2 seperate occasions last week to dunnville for some channel cats, first with my girlfriend, then with a buddy of mine. the first day was miserable out. overcast, cold, very windy and some rain mised in as well. but, we did manage 2 cats that day. we each landed one around the 4lb mark. seen a few other fish caught that day as well, including a nice 18lbs kitty.

view of the river
Posted Image

girlfriend with her first hookup
Posted Image

and another lookin downriver
Posted Image

her first channel cat
Posted Image

the next trip out was with a buddy of mine, who has not fished for channel cats before. so, out we went, got set up and waited. was a great day out, sunny and warm. but, slow bite. he did land his first channel cat, around 5lbs or so, not the monsters we were lookin for, but better then a skunk anyday of the week! the setup we use is simple, rods and reels are really a personal preference. i use a 7' med/hvy Quantum Tour Edition PT spinning rod, with a quantum energy PTi 20 spinning reel. spooled with 20# braid. we them use a 3oz slip sinker on the main line, then a swivel to act as a stopper for the weight, as well as help with line twist, as cats like to twist and roll when hooked. from that a leader, i use 12# mono for this, between 18"-24" in length, then a 3/O baitholder or circle hook. worms and cutbait are the choice baits, but others prefer stink baits, chicken livers or shrimp. any will produce fish.

much nicer day out second time around
Posted Image

the fight
Posted Image

and the fish
Posted Image

i help Fishmaster out at the shop from time to time, and as i was there sunday, we had a few cats come in to be weighed. as most of u know there is a channel cat derby on rite now, and i had the privlige of weighing in a new first place cat. a nice fat 21.9 lbs fish.

2 big kittys
Posted Image

21.9 lbs channel cat
Posted Image

hope u all enjoyed the read. i apologize i do not know how to post a map, but if anyone would like directions to the area i fished, or some good spots there to get into some cats, please feel free to ask!!

#2 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

Awesome report! Those are two really nice cats in the boat! Congrats on the first place fish!

I moved this report here with the permission of UglyFish, just so members can get an idea what else you can fish for right now with pike, bass and trout being closed.

Thanks again UglyFish for the great report.

(As for the map, it's easy.... just use google earth and microsoft paint to circle where you were fishing. :D )

#3 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:59 PM

......... i apologize i do not know how to post a map, but if anyone would like directions to the area i fished, or some good spots there to get into some cats, please feel free to ask!!

Great report, great catch, congratulations.

Yes, I would like to get directions and/or more precise location where you went and got these. I am planning to go to Dunnville anyways, for some carp fishing, so I might want try catching channel catfish too.

Also, I wanted to ask, what time of the day or night did you go fishing? I presume it was night but it does not hurt to ask)

Your input would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

#4 kennyhman

kennyhman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

Those cats are HUGE :D, at least in my experiences

#5 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

we fished in the afternoon. morning till nite is good. i personally have not had success after dark. but i was on shore, boats at nite could be different. once in dunnville, the area we fished was in front of fishmasters bait and tackle. 776 main street east. dunnville, ont.

Posted Image

#6 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:57 PM

we fished in the afternoon. morning till nite is good. i personally have not had success after dark. but i was on shore, boats at nite could be different. once in dunnville, the area we fished was in front of fishmasters bait and tackle. 776 main street east. dunnville, ont.

Posted Image

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I must check out this place. I never caught channel catfish, I caught a lot of brown bullhead, almost all of them at night, that is why I am surprised to hear about this catfish being caught during the day

#7 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:06 AM

ANYTIME!! if ur planning on heading out there, let me know, might be able to meet ya out there and show ya a few spots and give ya some info and show ya the rig we use first hand!!

#8 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:11 AM

bloody awesome!

thank you!

i am guessing I could buy some cut bait from that store? How are cut baits sold? chunks for xxx$ ?

#9 idesign

idesign

Perch

• Active Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:22 AM

cool.i must try there.
by the way is that big cats eatable.let me know.thx

#10 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:24 AM

Those are some kick ass Kitties for sure! :D
Well Done & great report too.

#11 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

u can eat the big cats, although most ppl don;t like to. i like the smaller ones, i kept 1 of the smaller cats myself and my gf caught and ate it. and it was yummy! lol. there is no more cut bait at the shop, all sold out of it! lots of ppl been fishing. u can use large shinners though, and just cut them. they work just as well. when he did have it, it was $5 for a bag of bait. action is still hot out there, go out and fight with a few kittys!

#12 HyperFox

HyperFox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

:D

Those are huge. Beauty!

#13 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

ANYTIME!! if ur planning on heading out there, let me know, might be able to meet ya out there and show ya a few spots and give ya some info and show ya the rig we use first hand!!

UglyFish
Thanks again, this is so kind and generous, just for that I have to thank you and thank you again. Yes, I am planning to go to Dunnnville but I am not sure exactly when, I wish to go A.S.A.P, but schedule is bit tough right now. In any case I will contact you so if you happen to be available, it would be great to meet and see spots and the rig you mentioned.

Regards,

halleb

#14 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:17 AM

not a problem halleb!! i'll be waiting to hear from ya!!

#15 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:20 AM

That is very kind of you UglyFish! Thumbs way up!

#16 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:14 AM

I would love to visit there right now too!

Since the shop sold out cut-baits, what other bait options are there that can be bought from the shop?
or should one prepare something making a long trip down there ?

Is it a must to use a flouro carbon leader on those cats? water seems muddy ?

#17 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

large shiners work well for the cats too. either whole, or u can cut them urself. they are available at the shop. fluoro leaders are not neccessary. some ppl prefer to use them, i just use 12# mono for a leader, its cheaper and there are plenty of snags in the river. so i;d rather not spend so much on a leader.

#18 ght

ght

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

thats a very nice report thanx for sharing

#19 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

Is the cat fishing still that good over there?

Thanks

#20 Chad

Chad

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:19 AM

Nice to get on the water!