12 replies to this topic

#1 HyperFox

HyperFox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:13 PM

It aint what it seems everyone.

A friend of mine let me in on a cat/bass secret of his.

Apparently hot dogs, of all things. Slice the hot dog into a coin. Put the coin onto the hook and bottom fish it.

Ill be trying this tomorrow. Anyone else heard of crazy lures, or baits like this.

Heck. Pack of dogs is cheaper then a dozen worms up here. And if you get hungry, The dogs are there..

#2 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:25 AM

i'm not surprised. a lot of random things can catch fish. hahah

#3 idesign

idesign

Perch

• Active Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:29 AM

It aint what it seems everyone.

A friend of mine let me in on a cat/bass secret of his.

Apparently hot dogs, of all things. Slice the hot dog into a coin. Put the coin onto the hook and bottom fish it.

Ill be trying this tomorrow. Anyone else heard of crazy lures, or baits like this.

Heck. Pack of dogs is cheaper then a dozen worms up here. And if you get hungry, The dogs are there..

that's a crazy idea.let us know how it goes

thx

#4 David Kearney

David Kearney

Perch

• Active Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

When we were younger we use to use hot dogs to catch trout in Glen Haffy. They worked well, havent used them since. That was along time ago though.

#5 slimy

slimy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

long time ago.. I used cigarette butts to catch giant rockbass..lol

... and someone should pick up a bunch of those candy gummy worms for this weekend, try those and let us know what happens..

#6 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

those gummy worms should work wonders.

#7 sumgurl008

sumgurl008

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:28 PM

Actually! i've tried the gummy worms, but that was a long time ago and it did catch me alot of different fishies!! just don't well didn't know what they were at the time!

#8 HyperFox

HyperFox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:51 PM

Well. No dice at the common spot I go to to fish. However I tried other lures and had no success either. Ill have to try a different hole.

#9 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:34 PM

A lot of new lures and techniques have been made by experimentation. Who would have thought that tubes flavoured with garlic or coffee would be something that bass like? Why not experiment with things like barbecue sauce, or mustard to see if that helps you? The name of the game to be a better fisherman is to build a number of techniques and baits that have worked for you in the past so your success rate goes up.

#10 HyperFox

HyperFox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:30 AM

A lot of new lures and techniques have been made by experimentation. Who would have thought that tubes flavoured with garlic or coffee would be something that bass like? Why not experiment with things like barbecue sauce, or mustard to see if that helps you? The name of the game to be a better fisherman is to build a number of techniques and baits that have worked for you in the past so your success rate goes up.

I just got a mental image of a fish on coffee.. Thing would probably vibrate and need timmies every day for the rest of its life! O_o

#11 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

well catfish sounds reasonable. but bass? i would be really surprised to catch one on hot dogs. but yup, i really hope it works out for you when you try it. good luck and go outfish someone :(

#12 HyperFox

HyperFox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

well I Tried again tonight using straight worms and lures with no success at all. Some of the regulars at the site just weren't there like normal which leads me to believe that something aint right.

Guess there is tomorrow. Ill have to crank up the old boat and see whats goin on out there.

#13 peebles

peebles

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:22 PM

Yes, I was up at Lake Eugenia last year, fishing off a bridge - there were these other guys there who were using hot dogs as bait, and they were bringing up bass left right and center. We were using worms and we were still catching quite a few, but the hot dogs worked like magic.