• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 David Kearney

David Kearney

Perch

• Active Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

Hey all, was wondering who traps minnows, and if so what bait are you using...I tried bread rolled in a ball, and got nothing, also tried some pork...got 1 tiny little guy. That was over the course of 2 days...any ideas?

#2 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

This is an easy answer.

Just placing bread in the trap will NOT make it effective.

You need to smush the bread all around the inner cone so when they come in to nibble they swim in. Kinda mash it into the mesh right around the opening and down the sides of the cone.

U rig it that way u get a full trap u just let the bread flat inside nought. And don't bother leaving it for days u get what your gunna get in the first day!

I place a trap in every Saturday bring the minnows back to the pond I've been stocking this year.

#3 David Kearney

David Kearney

Perch

• Active Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

cool thanks for the info...by the way, do you have a pond that you are stalking...or is this a covert hush hush dealy?

#4 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

No not hush hush just mothers pond.

Mothers house up north past Shelburne. She moved from the Pine river abut 2-3 years ago.
House has a nice size pond but not very deep and poor water quality no life when I got there now it's getting there.

There was nough living in it so on my close adventure wintin 20-30 min "close enough to keep the fish alive I hate killing ought" I bring a bucket and catch some small specs, bass, rainbows and bring em back dumb em in the pond let em grow.
I only take the smallest like 2-3" so they have a better chance of becoming accustom to the pond. I know big change from hunting pike and bass to hunting 3" specs hahahaah but the walk is nice and fishing rivers is a reminder of growing up.

Note: I don't keep anything ever so I don't think I'm out of bounds taking a few small fish to stock a pond? Maybe I am though?

Also bring a few buckets of minnows back got to build up the food chain.

Now a beaver has moved in, muskrat I think they are called or maybe it's an otter and one blue heron has moved in and is munchin down hard hahaahah. That's cool though that's what the pond is there for.

I wish I could get a big digger in for a couple of hours and bring it down another 4-5 ft. Too much $$$.

Tip: Bring a cooler full of ice becasue your chance of getting a spec home alive even 10 min in a bucket is little to no chance at all unless u ice it up and then they will make the drive home.

#5 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

dry dog food works. usually doesn't dissolve as fast and stays longer than bread.

what you need is a small creek that is loaded with minnows... sometimes, you don't even need bait and they end up inside!
ahhh.. the days of using minnow traps haha.
haven't purchased live bait in years.

#6 slimy

slimy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:10 PM

I use BBQ ruffle chips... chubs love it!!

#7 toronto_angler

toronto_angler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

No not hush hush just mothers pond.

Mothers house up north past Shelburne. She moved from the Pine river abut 2-3 years ago.
House has a nice size pond but not very deep and poor water quality no life when I got there now it's getting there.

There was nough living in it so on my close adventure wintin 20-30 min "close enough to keep the fish alive I hate killing ought" I bring a bucket and catch some small specs, bass, rainbows and bring em back dumb em in the pond let em grow.
I only take the smallest like 2-3" so they have a better chance of becoming accustom to the pond. I know big change from hunting pike and bass to hunting 3" specs hahahaah but the walk is nice and fishing rivers is a reminder of growing up.

Note: I don't keep anything ever so I don't think I'm out of bounds taking a few small fish to stock a pond? Maybe I am though?

Also bring a few buckets of minnows back got to build up the food chain.

Now a beaver has moved in, muskrat I think they are called or maybe it's an otter and one blue heron has moved in and is munchin down hard hahaahah. That's cool though that's what the pond is there for.

I wish I could get a big digger in for a couple of hours and bring it down another 4-5 ft. Too much $$$.

Tip: Bring a cooler full of ice becasue your chance of getting a spec home alive even 10 min in a bucket is little to no chance at all unless u ice it up and then they will make the drive home.

It's actually illegal in Ontario to transport live gamefish without a special permit..

#8 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:22 PM

So is digging out a pond..unless its man made.

#9 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

I was waiting for someone to sat that.
"It's actually illegal in Ontario to transport live gamefish without a special permit."

I thought that too but heck when was the last time anyone of u say a fisheries guy better chance of getting hit by lightning no?

And yeah I do agree that u should not move fish from one body of water to another "public that is private do what u want"

So far the #'s

1 small mouth about 5"
4 specs around 3" & 1 at 8 " and that 8" came out of a ditch I aint kidding a flippin ditch that I though only help minnows.
12 rainbow "bought these"
400 minnows added this year.

Anyone know where u can buy bass for a pond in Ontario or some Carp?

#10 David Kearney

David Kearney

Perch

• Active Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

I was waiting for someone to sat that.
"It's actually illegal in Ontario to transport live gamefish without a special permit."

I thought that too but heck when was the last time anyone of u say a fisheries guy better chance of getting hit by lightning no?

And yeah I do agree that u should not move fish from one body of water to another "public that is private do what u want"

So far the #'s

1 small mouth about 5"
4 specs around 3" & 1 at 8 " and that 8" came out of a ditch I aint kidding a flippin ditch that I though only help minnows.
12 rainbow "bought these"
400 minnows added this year.

Anyone know where u can buy bass for a pond in Ontario or some Carp?

haha, I was waiting too...How deep is the pond? does it freeze solid in the winter? keep it up, you are bringing nature back...a Heron and a Muskrat...cool, soon maybe some ducks and other water fowl...cool.

#11 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

Tons of ducks stop by and a family of Canadian guess raise babies in the swamp just past the island every year not to mention the 100's of wild turkeys you see all over the bush.

Deepest I have found is about 7ft, so no it wont freeze right down but about 50% of the pond will freeze right down I figure as that 50% is max 3.5 ft average.

The pond is heart shaped with an island about 4 m across in the middle. I'd say about 50M length and 30M max width.

#12 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

i have a pond near my house that i found about 9 months ago as the ice was melting. its got subdivisions on three sides and forest behind it at first i was just exploring the forest and found a couple of cow skeletons but it was too cold to hang around there. around june i decided to go back and the first thing i noticed was that the water was mooving like at the bottom of rapids but i soon realized that it was a bunch of chub minnows. i started setting a trap there each night without any bait and would come back in the morning to find about fifty minnows in it. and the best part is that i've never seen anyone else there.

#13 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

i wouldn't recommend having trout and bass simply because they have different spawning times, trout spawn before bass so by the time the bass hatch the trout fry's will probably be big enough to eat the bass. i'd recomend digging a ditch a bout six by three feet in size and two feet deep for the fish to spawn in, or you could just see what happens. i'm looking into whats nessasary to get one of these licences but so far i've only found the regulations for alberta and ohio