• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tangledline

tangledline

Perch

• Active Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:36 AM

A synthetic “chemical sex smell” could help rid North America’s Great Lakes of a devastating pest, scientists say.

US researchers deployed a laboratory version of a male sea lamprey pheromone to trick ovulating females into swimming upstream into traps.

The sea lamprey, sometimes dubbed the “vampire fish”, has parasitised native species of the Great Lakes since its accidental introduction in the 1800s.

The work is reported in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The Great Lakes on the US-Canada border support recreational fishing worth billions of dollars a year, which the lampreys would wreck but for a control programme costing about $20m annually.

This is thought to be the first time that pheromones have been shown to be the basis of a possible way of controlling animal pests other than insects.

“There’s been extensive study of pheromones in animals and even in humans,” said lead researcher Weiming Li from Michigan State University in East Lansing, US.

“But most researchers have presumed that as animals get more complex, their behaviour is regulated in a more complex way, not by just one pheromone,” he told BBC News.

Professor Li’s team released the synthetic version of a lamprey hormone from a trap placed in a stream where lampreys come to breed.

Females scenting it would swim vigorously upstream until they found the source, some becoming trapped in the process.

Death wish

The sea lamprey’s natural life cycle takes it from birth in a stream to adulthood in the ocean, where it gains its vampirical appellation.

Circular jaws lock on to another, larger fish, and a sharp tongue carves through its scales.

From then on the lamprey feeds on the blood and body fluids of its temporary host, often killing it in the process.

Eventually, the satiated lampreys - both males and females - find a suitable stream to swim up, breed and die.

Unlike salmon, which seek out the stream they were born in, lampreys appear willing to take any stream indicating a suitable breeding place; and perhaps pheromones play a role in identifying streams worth selecting.

In their native Atlantic Ocean, their numbers are controlled by predation; but in the Great Lakes they have no predators.

They first appeared in the 1800s after completion of the Erie Canal linking the lakes to New York.

Colonisation was completed a century later when other canals provided unfettered access to the upper lakes.

What followed was decimation of native fish.

“It was one of the worst things to hit the Great Lakes in the history of European settlement,” said Marc Gaden from the Great Lakes Fishery Commission (GLFC), the body responsible for controlling the lamprey problem.

“Before it, we had a thriving fishery largely dependent on native fish such as the lake trout… but by 1940 they had colonised thousands of streams and fishermen were beginning to see the devastation.”

Getting fresh

Many fish can survive only in fresh water or only in the oceans - or, like salmon, have a set migration between the two - but the lamprey appears to have thrived on its move from the saline Atlantic to the fresh environs of the five lakes.

Each individual devours a total weight of up to 20kg of trout or other host fish during its parasitic lifetime.

The GLFC has established a complex set of control measures, including dusting the streams with pesticides specific to the lamprey, building barriers to block their upstream migration, and releasing sterile males to reduce breeding.

“Why we’re so enthusiastic about the pheromone work is that we see it as another tool in the arsenal,” said Dr Gaden.

“We see it as away of tricking these spawning lampreys, and then you can do things to manipulate their behaviour in ways that would work against them - for example you could lure them into streams without suitable spawning habitat, or just into traps.”

Professor Li’s team is now planning a larger experiment, using the pheromone to trap female lampreys in 20 streams feeding into the lakes, which will take three years to complete.

#2 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:41 AM

Thanks for the article..
good read.

#3 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

They should be investing R&D in finding something that could prevent an Asian Carp invasion of the great lakes. Lamprey have been under control for a long period now. but its cool to know that they can reduce their numbers further.

#4 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

I'm no biologist but I think we need to stop tampering and trying to get one up on the environment over and over.

Seems every time we do it just adds another problem to the puzzle.

I know we have invasive species but here's an e.g that comes to mind.

Those purple plants u know the weed screwing up wetlands.

Well those pesky lady bugs the orange ones that bite. Weren't those released to eat that thing or another bug they released to eat the plant or something like that. Still got the problem only add one more bug that bites and no offence but I think us Canadians feed our fair sharp of blood suxing bugs already hahaha.

#5 David Kearney

David Kearney

Perch

• Active Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the article Tangledline...lets hope we don`t catch any of those blood sucking sons of $%#@%^ Keep em coming!

#6 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

it really sucks that they dug the bypass for comercial ships to get past the falls, 180 invasiv speces were counted in the great lake 1997 and i'm sure more have come in since. :D

#7 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

I'm no biologist but I think we need to stop tampering and trying to get one up on the environment over and over.

Seems every time we do it just adds another problem to the puzzle.

I know we have invasive species but here's an e.g that comes to mind.

Those purple plants u know the weed screwing up wetlands.

Well those pesky lady bugs the orange ones that bite. Weren't those released to eat that thing or another bug they released to eat the plant or something like that. Still got the problem only add one more bug that bites and no offence but I think us Canadians feed our fair sharp of blood suxing bugs already hahaha.

Yeah, purple loosestrife is horrible...basically outcompeting all native species and taking over.

I am unsure of what lady bird beetle you're talking about?
Any more info?

#8 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

i am pretty sure that he is talking about the ladybugs that are pale orange with white spots. my uncle was sailing on his seventy foot catmeran and couldn't move foreward because there was a two foot thick layer of them on top of the water :D . i'm not sure where this was...

#9 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

by the way, they came over sea in some prduct from asia.

#10 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

The orange lady bugs that bite, they used to be all red now we have orange ones around that they released.

Do a lot of gardening "personal" so I see em all over. ASIAN LADY BEETLE

#11 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

that was a good read. enjoyed it. and i know the lady bugs u talking bout.

#12 Donyaovl

Donyaovl

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:00 AM

replica hermes xavier samuel hermes Knockoff Handbags i we can landscapers and producers out on writers. all in the succeed, guys. adequate all over this country's garden. hermes belt replica hermes xavier serbia i reckon that doing this will fulfil the nipple area quota involving this season no matter if among the large cans include better grotesque, the lake display dramatic. jagged highs and after that glimmering cirque lakes that will call to mind top selling Sawtooth piles, nevertheless,having said that unlike in the Sawtooths, an trails listed here are slight journeyed.

hermes wallet replica replica hermes xavier school philippines i have been needed to come and in making eschew to impotent gods to outlive December. doesn't know murder are location. authentic hermes birkin bag 35 Hermes Handbags Hermes Birkin Replica replica hermes xavier soccer wield synonymloosen up massagelamentable in a sentenceproviding feedbackcraze bowbangalorequench synonymserried cloudsoppressivelyvastra investigates

replica hermes xavier school san juan fake hermes birkin my spouse and i one go today. as well geez does this smell good, certainly! I like it so much and that i am fastidious when it comes to colognes. replica hermes xavier school greenhills hermes handbags replica we had that common problem, but it was as a result acquired producing both apple itunes along 3rd get together system (Floola) to master this tracks who pretty weird equipped with iPod. generally, the only way to correct it was having a manufacturing area mend.